Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:02 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:42 am Okay, it does get a little talky and techno-babbly sometimes
What I don't like about this is that they throw you into it right away and then keep piling it on. It's been hard to follow at times. I decided a few days before release that i'd only be watching one episode a day and now I'm glad I took that approach because it gives me some time to process all the exposition in these early episodes. :P
That would probably be the smart approach, yeah. I think I'm better off blitzing through it quickly, though; as long as I understand the basics of what they're trying to tell me, I'm content for now. I'll let reviews fill me in on whatever I fail to make sense of.

Added in 1 hour 7 minutes 15 seconds:
Up to episode eight. Jet Jaguar is wielding a
Spoiler:
spear made from one of Anguirus' spikes. Of all the things I never expected to see, that's one of them. Post GvK, though, that type of thing might well become a new normal.
The
Spoiler:
drill-spiders
are really cool new additions. If we can't have
Spoiler:
Kumonga
back, I'll be happy to settle for these guys for now.

Godzilla is perhaps aping Shin a little too closely, but that was always to be expected. At least they're giving him his own unique twists and abilities.

The Orthopedic Diatom or whatever they call it is freaking nuts as a new superweapon. I can't wait to see what they do with it going forward, although I expect it to blow up in their faces somehow.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I just finished Singular Point. Truly one of the best things to come out of this franchise in ages. Those last few episodes had me glued to my seat. Brilliant. Even if I didnt understand the science, and honestly, it was most likely BS science, but still.
Spoiler:
I honestly found that the ending was a good place to end. I don't think a second season is necessary, though obviously I know that's what they are going to do.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Been busy, so haven't been able to marathon the whole thing - but I've just past episode 5 and I'm really loving this series. On the surface it seems like a radical new interpretation of Godzilla (the aesthetics are very modern and, in my opinion, pretty dang cool), but in actuality it's a back-to-basics return to the sci-fi mystery roots of the genre! It almost reminds me of Ultra Q a bit.

Speaking of Ultra Q: the Hedorah smog cloud in the retro end credits looks a lot more like Peguila than the '70s Hedorah!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Anybody here picking up the guidebook? Its cheap enough, but I don't know how much I'd get out of it since I do not see a translated version happening.

https://www.futabasha.co.jp/booksdb/boo ... 883-1.html

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think the science is pretty cool, but on the whole I don't like this series. To be fair, I still have three episodes to go, but I'm confident that those couldn't do enough to flip the script for me. IMO the biggest problem has been the disparity in the pacing of individual episodes and the overarching story. For example, some of the early episodes zip by, but it feels like little progress has been made in the characters' journeys. It's just not all that efficiently plotted: the scientific revelations are what drive the plot, but it happens very gradually despite the rapid-fire sequence of events (and exposition) in every episode. The pace of the series just feels off-kilter to me.

Another problem is the frequent jumping around from one part of the world to another. As I wrote in another post, I've been watching one episode a day, but still, it's very easy to lose track of some threads or characters altogether.

And I'm not sure what to make of the style. The animation doesn't really appeal to me, especially those constant-motion, Oldboy-type battle scenes. The exposition montages (newscasts, social media conversations, etc.) interested me at first, but I've grown pretty tired of them.
Spoiler:
At least in episode 10, it's revealed that the text conversation has a significant purpose in the plot, so I can kinda excuse that despite how clunky it is as a visual storytelling device.
Finally, something I'm sure that's already been discussed a million times:
Spoiler:
The "callbacks" to other monsters in the form of either a new creature (Salunga and the flying spider things) or something totally different (the Titanosaurus and Varan versions of Godzilla) are puzzling, at best. I don't mind seeing these characters receive a facelift or even their entire natures and backstories rebooted, but it's just strange to me that they'd deliberately repurpose existing characters the way they have. It's too meta and it draws me out of the story.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

A nitpick that I haven't really dwelled upon until now: the text messages between Yun and Mei go by way too dang fast. There's no way Sonic and Speedy Gonzales weren't typing for them.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:19 am Anybody here picking up the guidebook? Its cheap enough, but I don't know how much I'd get out of it since I do not see a translated version happening.

I'll order a copy! Thanks for the heads up!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I do really like SP Godzilla but the actual concept art is so much cooler and more vicious looking than the in series CG model.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:01 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:19 am Anybody here picking up the guidebook? Its cheap enough, but I don't know how much I'd get out of it since I do not see a translated version happening.

I'll order a copy! Thanks for the heads up!
Let us know if its worth picking up for the art alone!
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:55 am I do really like SP Godzilla but the actual concept art is so much cooler and more vicious looking than the in series CG model.
I feel like a few of the kaiju look cooler in the concept art than in the series itself. Then again, that's true of a lot of things, really.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:54 am I just finished Singular Point. Truly one of the best things to come out of this franchise in ages. Those last few episodes had me glued to my seat. Brilliant.
Agreed! I binge watched the first time through, and I have to admit I've re-watched it at least 3 times.

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:54 am Even if I didnt understand the science, and honestly, it was most likely BS science, but still.
I have a math degree and a computer science degree. The big about singular points in hyperspace and archetypes is actually mathematically sound! They have what they need for consistent hard science fiction - internal consistency when adding a scientifically fantastic element (hyperspacial singular points) to existing science. The archetypes allowed by hyperspacial singular points allow for the crazy science needed to allow Kaiju (which can't exist in our world because of the squared cubed law for animal size).

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Man, I really need to watch this. Probably need to finally check out the Anime trilogy first though.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:34 pm Man, I really need to watch this. Probably need to finally check out the Anime trilogy first though.
Nah, you don't. :P

The Anime Trilogy is worth one watch. I like a lot of it, but it's certainly nowhere as re-watchable or as craftful as the older movies. SP is definitely better.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:36 pm Nah, you don't. :P

The Anime Trilogy is worth one watch. I like a lot of it, but it's certainly nowhere as re-watchable or as craftful as the older movies. SP is definitely better.
Lol, yeah, I've avoided them for a long time because I know they're going to suck.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'm actually not so certain that Singular Point is that much better. It has more monster action, sure, and it's... partially... 2D animated. Those are about the only things I think it has over the anime trilogy.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

JessIAm wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:54 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:54 am I just finished Singular Point. Truly one of the best things to come out of this franchise in ages. Those last few episodes had me glued to my seat. Brilliant.
Agreed! I binge watched the first time through, and I have to admit I've re-watched it at least 3 times.

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:54 am Even if I didnt understand the science, and honestly, it was most likely BS science, but still.
I have a math degree and a computer science degree. The big about singular points in hyperspace and archetypes is actually mathematically sound! They have what they need for consistent hard science fiction - internal consistency when adding a scientifically fantastic element (hyperspacial singular points) to existing science. The archetypes allowed by hyperspacial singular points allow for the crazy science needed to allow Kaiju (which can't exist in our world because of the squared cubed law for animal size).
Glad to have you on board to explain some things!
He Jock it Made of Steel

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:37 pm Glad to have you on board to explain some things!
Thanks so much! I used to tutor math, so I guess I'm experienced.

I've used my computer science degree to have a career. Now I've used my math degree to explain Godzilla! LOL!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Spuro wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:12 pm I'm actually not so certain that Singular Point is that much better. It has more monster action, sure, and it's... partially... 2D animated. Those are about the only things I think it has over the anime trilogy.
I mean, there is also massively better characters, a more enjoyable narrative, tone, and colorscheme, and a more colorful cast of monsters.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:41 pm
Spuro wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:12 pm I'm actually not so certain that Singular Point is that much better. It has more monster action, sure, and it's... partially... 2D animated. Those are about the only things I think it has over the anime trilogy.
I mean, there is also massively better characters, a more enjoyable narrative, tone, and colorscheme, and a more colorful cast of monsters.
Haruo DOES suck pretty hard. And I appreciate that Singular Point had stronger female characters than the trilogy had to offer.

Okay, yeah, I'll agree with the character thing.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I agree with you, but none of those reasons explain why GSP is better, just why you prefer it. Anyone could very easily say the anime trilogy is better for those same reasons.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:05 pm
I agree with you, but none of those reasons explain why GSP is better, just why you prefer it. Anyone could very easily say the anime trilogy is better for those same reasons.
I mean, yeah, they could say that, but they would be wrong, at least in certain categories. Its going to be hard to argue that the characters in the Anime trilogy are good in the slightest, and there definitely isnt a more colorful cast of monsters when there are like, what, 4 different monsters that appear in the whole trilogy compared to the huge variety in SP. Everything else is more or less up to someone's personal opinion.