Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

Post by Jermobooka »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:07 am
Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:33 am
I find it incredibly interesting how SP was developed even further back than the trilogy. I wonder if that means that SP is intended to be the Godzilla anime while the trilogy was meant to fill the gap years and keep interest in Godzilla alive
You're looking too much into it, this is pretty normal for Toho Godzilla. The most obvious example I can think of is Shin Godzilla. Hideaki Anno was first contacted by Toho for the job around January of 2013, approximately 2 months before principal photography even began on Godzilla 2014. Of course, Godzilla 1998 was being worked on as far back as around 1992. Mothra and Mechagodzilla II were subsequently released, and after the TriStar film's delay, SpaceGodzilla and Destoroyah came out. There's a couple of other examples, but would be the main omes
Ah, i see. I’m just surprised at how far back SP was planned, but it seems like thats totally normal lol
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I highly doubt specifics were planned. However, it's believable that if the words were uttered, "Let's make a Godzilla anime series..." well prior, and multiple basic concepts were thrown about. What I suspect is that since 2014, and the loophole of 2016 that a lot of ides have been thrown and executed around.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Precisely, only the idea of Godzilla anime would've been around. I watched the Monstrosities video a while earlier, and I'm pretty sure some of the sources the video cites confirm that.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Just finished the video and...wow. Even more hyped for this than i already was!

I find it very interesting how they wanted a science advisor at first just to make sure the science presented in the show is as accurate and realistic as feasibly possible. The design choices for the monsters (Godzilla being very bottom heavy, Rodan’s more pterosaur-like look, etc etc) are making a lot more sense now and gives me even more appreciation for the designs. Also—

“[...]however, rather than trying to reflect the current situation and declare some kind of message, I hope that people will enjoy the show in an entertaining way”

That sentence especially caught my eye. SP is seeming more and more like the antithesis to the POTM trilogy by the day lol
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Is episode 4 subbbed out there anywhere as of yet?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Godzillakuj94 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:24 pm Is episode 4 subbbed out there anywhere as of yet?
Unofficially, yes
Long Live The King

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:54 pm Just finished the video and...wow. Even more hyped for this than i already was!

I find it very interesting how they wanted a science advisor at first just to make sure the science presented in the show is as accurate and realistic as feasibly possible. The design choices for the monsters (Godzilla being very bottom heavy, Rodan’s more pterosaur-like look, etc etc) are making a lot more sense now and gives me even more appreciation for the designs. Also—

“[...]however, rather than trying to reflect the current situation and declare some kind of message, I hope that people will enjoy the show in an entertaining way”

That sentence especially caught my eye. SP is seeming more and more like the antithesis to the POTM trilogy by the day lol
Yeah this video REALLY got me hyped about the show as well! I was originally just happy that a new Godzilla project was coming but not really anticipating it but that amazing video managed to get the hype train rolling for me!
Last edited by cloverfan98 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

I'm planning on watching Singular Point when it comes out on Netflix here in the states in June so I don't know too much about the series given I don't want to be spoiled much but I do have at least one question to the people who have seen the series so far. I've came across some people who complained about Godzilla not showing up much if at all in Singular Point so far and I was wondering is that really such a huge detriment of the series given that the series is named after him? Or are they just trying to build up his major appearance later on by having all the monsters show up first to build upon his comeback?
Last edited by kaijuguy19 on Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijuguy19 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:46 am I'm planning on watching Singular Point when it comes out on Netflix here in the states in June so I don't know too much about the series given I don't want to be spoiled much but I do have at least one question to the people who have seen the series so far. I've came across some people who complained about Godzilla not showing up much if at all in Singular Point so far and I was wondering is that really such a huge detriment of the series given that the series is named after him? Or are they just trying to build up his major appearance later on by having all the monsters show up first to build upon his comeback?
The latter, and he’s built up in very interesting and unique ways. It’s also not like a film where monsters don’t appear until midway, there’s been continual build up of various monsters and a few unique sequences. There’s no filler or anything like that and the series has a nice breakneck pace. As of where we are at in the series, it’s not a huge detriments.

I wouldn’t worry.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:54 am
kaijuguy19 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:46 am I'm planning on watching Singular Point when it comes out on Netflix here in the states in June so I don't know too much about the series given I don't want to be spoiled much but I do have at least one question to the people who have seen the series so far. I've came across some people who complained about Godzilla not showing up much if at all in Singular Point so far and I was wondering is that really such a huge detriment of the series given that the series is named after him? Or are they just trying to build up his major appearance later on by having all the monsters show up first to build upon his comeback?
The latter, and he’s built up in very interesting and unique ways. It’s also not like a film where monsters don’t appear until midway, there’s been continual build up of various monsters and a few unique sequences. There’s no filler or anything like that and the series has a nice breakneck pace. As of where we are at in the series, it’s not a huge detriments.

I wouldn’t worry.
That's good to hear! I figured that would be the case and it's making me look forward to it even more. It's just some people really seem to be miffed at Godzilla not showing up yet so I'm guessing it could be just them being impatient on their part.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Mei and Yun facial expression sketches.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love it. I just love the amount of care that went into developing Mei in particular. Love the range of her expressions.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

All those expressions compared to Haruki's, who was just "Anger, anger, anger..some shock, back to anger"

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:28 pm All those expressions compared to Haruki's, who was just "Anger, anger, anger..some shock, back to anger"
Fuck the "anime trilogy".

I forgot Haruki's name until you brought it up. Mei, Yun, Goto, Havel, Satomi, Sato, Dr. Li and a few others, are all way more fleshed out an interesting than any of the anime trilogy offerings. Sorry!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings All. I've pretty much stayed out of this thread because I wanted to give this show a fair shot before really giving any opinions. Well we are 4 episodes in and...well... As an anime, I enjoy it to some degree. As a piece of Godzilla media, Not so much. I mean I really enjoy the Monster designs, no problem there, it's just way too much human exposition, and frankly some downright silliness that I'm not a fan of. There are so many human characters, but there's not a single one I can identify with, or have any connection to. I've watched all the episodes twice, and I can't tell you a single one of their names. I do enjoy this overall much more than the Planet of Monsters Trilogy, but I think they both have something in common. They BOTH tease us with with something else that could have been much better.

With Planet of Monsters, it was the in-between novels that seemed to be a much more interesting story, than the 3 films themselves. With SP, it's the end credit sequence. I'm not sure what is going on there, but THAT is the anime I'd much rather see, THAT is honestly my favorite part of the whole series so far, and why I don't skip the ending like I do in many other series...
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

It's Haruo, not Haruki

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:45 am
Gigantis wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:28 pm All those expressions compared to Haruki's, who was just "Anger, anger, anger..some shock, back to anger"
skreeonk the "anime trilogy".

I forgot Haruki's name until you brought it up. Mei, Yun, Goto, Havel, Satomi, Sato, Dr. Li and a few others, are all way more fleshed out an interesting than any of the anime trilogy offerings. Sorry!
Definitely! The characters of Singular Point are far better developed and show actual human emotion. I only really like the anime's concepts for the kaiju, particularly that Ghidorah.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

How would you guys react if Godzilla himself only shows up in the very final episode, lol?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:08 am How would you guys react if Godzilla himself only shows up in the very final episode, lol?
These fanboys are in it for the story, Godzilla coming out in the final episode only to roar would be *chef kisses*
Lol

If that happened I'd personally would be annoyed not so much pissed as long as it was a part of the story

*shrugs*

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

God, looking at the official art work for Godzilla Aquafina and it just makes me mad that it's not Titanosaurus. And there's still people out in the fandom who think it wasn't Titanosaurus from the get go.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.