Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Wonder what the chances of Figuarts or more likely Figma releasing some of the human cast? I'd definitely grab figures of Mei and Satomi. A figure of Jet Jaguar would be pretty sweet too.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

FYI, you can now watch the trailer dubbed in several languages on Netflix.
Hi!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gotschiller wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:35 am FYI, you can now watch the trailer dubbed in several languages on Netflix.
The English dubbing actually isn't that bad! It is worse than the Polygon dub, though.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The official guide book is coming June 28th. Of course it'll only be in Japanese but it should have stats and stuff for all the monsters.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Past couple episodes dropped within a day or so of the Netflix Japan broadcast. Episode 10 is taking forever though.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

A few things about the dub. First off Outaki doesn't sound crazy enough. Jung still has a feminine voice but will they keep it when its uploaded to Jet Jaguar? Mei sounds alright but Jun voice doesn't quite work. Its not terrible but not quite how I imagined he'd sound. Sucks Funimation or one of the other higher tier dubbers couldn't have worked on it. That's the main thing that sucks about being a Netflix exclusive. That and no domestic physical release.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:39 am A few things about the dub. First off Outaki doesn't sound crazy enough. Jung still has a feminine voice but will they keep it when its uploaded to Jet Jaguar? Mei sounds alright but Jun voice doesn't quite work. Its not terrible but not quite how I imagined he'd sound. Sucks Funimation or one of the other higher tier dubbers couldn't have worked on it. That's the main thing that sucks about being a Netflix exclusive. That and no domestic physical release.

I agree about the Ootaki voice. The original VA matches his gruff eccentricity so well. Now he just sounds like an old man. I'm curious how he'll sound when he says some of his "poems" or kind of catchphrases. Agreed about Yun2 and Yun sounds a little too serious. Mei sort of sounds like a generic youngish woman. Still, I can tell already it won't be a bad dub. But hey that could've been funny and entertaining in it's own right. I'll give it a view myself.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:07 pm Past couple episodes dropped within a day or so of the Netflix Japan broadcast. Episode 10 is taking forever though.
it dropped the day it came out in Japan. some sites are just taking longer than others.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:39 am A few things about the dub. First off Outaki doesn't sound crazy enough. Jung still has a feminine voice but will they keep it when its uploaded to Jet Jaguar? Mei sounds alright but Jun voice doesn't quite work. Its not terrible but not quite how I imagined he'd sound. Sucks Funimation or one of the other higher tier dubbers couldn't have worked on it. That's the main thing that sucks about being a Netflix exclusive. That and no domestic physical release.
Funimation has a track record of "adapting" the lines from the original Japanese dub rather than straight up translating to English. Granted I know adaptation of a sort is a usual step in the dubbing process but I'm taking about changing lines to better suit the writer's personal political opinions rather than making the lines flow better in English so I'm glad Funimation isn't anywhere near this. I personally loved the dub for the anime trilogy on Netflix is this the same studio behind that dub as well?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

cloverfan98 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:07 pm
Funimation has a track record of "adapting" the lines from the original Japanese dub rather than straight up translating to English. Granted I know adaptation of a sort is a usual step in the dubbing process but I'm taking about changing lines to better suit the writer's personal political opinions rather than making the lines flow better in English so I'm glad Funimation isn't anywhere near this. I personally loved the dub for the anime trilogy on Netflix is this the same studio behind that dub as well?
Considering the fact that they used "the patriarchy" to try and justify a literal pedophile character deciding to wear non-skimpy clothes, I agree.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Loss of meaning or change of meaning is going to inherently happen when anything switches languages and there's advantages that subs have over dubs. Dubs need to fit a certain tine frame or moment. It's easy(easier) to plaster a bunch of text on the bottom of the screen that doesn't exactly match the timing. I liked that the trailer showed us how one for one the dub will be, but things will still change minorly. I'm working off of memory, but in the original dub Ootaki says something different than "We shall drive Godzilla off our lands" and more like "Let's go on a Godzilla Hunt". In fact, I think that's what the sub says. Things change, and as long as it isn't a complete flub, or an insertion of ones personal beliefs that differ from the original narrative, it's fine. I think it'll be okay.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

the main characters sound like your typical anime dub characters. it's not awful, but I don't think it's spectacular either.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:36 pm
Considering the fact that they used "the patriarchy" to try and justify a literal pedophile character deciding to wear non-skimpy clothes, I agree.
...Huh? what??!?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:36 pm
...the hell anime was this? And what the hell does patriarchy have to do with a pedophile, much less wearing non-skimpy clothing? Wow that's bad dubbing if it's not from the Japanese original.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Preemptively, let’s keep conversation in this thread relegated to Godzilla SP please.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'm actually more excited for SP than I was before Godzilla vs Kong. I keep seeing little teeny spoilers, and rather than being irritating, I'm getting more and more jazzed! The 24th can't come fast enough.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Finally episode 10. Gonna watch before I go to bed.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Apparently Godzilla's mouth and jaws were inspired by looking at a Smilodon skull.

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:26 pm Apparently Godzilla's mouth and jaws were inspired by looking at a Smilodon skull.
That makes sense:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

JNewbold54 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:17 am
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:26 pm Apparently Godzilla's mouth and jaws were inspired by looking at a Smilodon skull.
That makes sense:

Good thing that Godzilla has massive canines that necessitate the jaws being able to open that wide - oh no, wait, he doesn't.

:facepalm:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.