Are Monster Fights Really That Important?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Are Monster Fights Really That Important?

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:49 pm If that was the characterization/plot gutted, agreed. But that's not what I meant. I wasn't talking so much about what got cut in filming or editing, I meant the script/plot itself was written without a care for narrative or characterization, and the direction doubled down on that. There should have been better stuff written in and provided for. It was gutted before filming began. The gutting was part of the process. All to dumb the movie down. And god(zilla) damn it, it worked for the GA.
I didn't get that impression while watching it - in fact, it seemed to me that there was a lot more that had to have been scripted and shot, only to have been cut. I don't actually know if that's the case or not, much less at which stage all that would have been cut, but frankly I don't care. Godzilla vs. Kong has been the only MV movie I've enjoyed since the 2014 film, mostly for the reasons I've already stated.

Could GvK been a better movie? Absolutely. But it wasn't. One of my personal rules for evaluating entertainment is to focus on what it is, not what it isn't. GvK wasn't a lot of things (including a conventionally good movie), but nevertheless I was satisfied by it once it was over. In the end, I think that's just enough for me.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat May 15, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:04 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:49 pm If that was the characterization/plot gutted, agreed. But that's not what I meant. I wasn't talking so much about what got cut in filming or editing, I meant the script/plot itself was written without a care for narrative or characterization, and the direction doubled down on that. There should have been better stuff written in and provided for. It was gutted before filming began. The gutting was part of the process. All to dumb the movie down. And god(zilla) damn it, it worked for the GA.
I didn't get that impression while watching it - in fact, it seemed to me that there was a lot more that had to have been scripted and shot, only to have been cut. I don't actually know if that's the case or not, much less at which stage all that would have been cut, but frankly I don't care. I enjoyed Godzilla vs. Kong more than any MV movie besides the 2014 film, mostly for the reasons I've already stated.

Could GvK been a better movie? Absolutely. But it wasn't. One of my personal rules for evaluating entertainment is to focus on what it is, not what it isn't. GvK wasn't a lot of things (including a conventionally good movie), but nevertheless I was satisfied by it once it was over. In the end, I think that's just enough for me.
Well, I disagree, strongly I might add, that GvK was a conventionally good movie. It was a bad movie with truly great kaiju spectacle and action. But it was still a bad movie in my opinion. But, to each their own - agree to disagree.

I enjoyed every other MV movie more than GvK, for reasons previously said (aka they have a script beyond "Fighting!!!!").
Last edited by Vakanai on Sat May 15, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:08 pm Well, I disagree, strongly I might add, that GvK was a conventionally good movie. It was a bad movie with truly great kaiju spectacle and action. But it was still a bad movie in my opinion. But, to each their own - agree to disagree.
You misread my post. I said GvK *wasn't* a conventionally good movie. We're in agreement on that.

But, on the other hand, there are aspects of it that keep it from sinking into bad moviedom. The special effects largely save it from that fate. That, and, uh... I guess the special effects. I'd consider it a below average film, all things considered, but not a bad one.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:15 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:08 pm Well, I disagree, strongly I might add, that GvK was a conventionally good movie. It was a bad movie with truly great kaiju spectacle and action. But it was still a bad movie in my opinion. But, to each their own - agree to disagree.
You misread my post. I said GvK *wasn't* a conventionally good movie. We're in agreement on that.

But, on the other hand, there are aspects of it that keep it from sinking into bad moviedom. The special effects largely save it from that fate. That, and, uh... I guess the special effects. I'd consider it a below average film, all things considered, but not a bad one.
You're right, I did misread that - sorry!

I don't know if the special effects save it from sinking into bad moviedom, exactly, but I do agree from the sense that I will watch this film again, multiple times, in the future just based on the special effects alone. Like I've said somewhere before (was it this thread?) it's a lot like Batman v Superman for me - a movie I can pop in, tune out while I play online, then look back up again when I hear the action scenes start. It's good for action clips only viewing mode, which I think we all engage in to some degree thanks to our increasingly online lives. So to me it's a bad movie whose CGI gives it a certain kind of replay value.
Last edited by Vakanai on Sat May 15, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.