Shin Anthology

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
G.Escanor
Yojimbo

Shin Anthology

Post by G.Escanor »

With the announcement of a Shin Ultraman film in making, would you all rather have a cinematic universe (Toho Monsterverse) or an anthology series (Cornetto trilogy, Sicario)? I want to make a case for an anthology as it may seem like Shin Ultraman may seem to already go into that direction, depending on how they write the narrative for the film. It would be the most large scale anthology series and with Shin Godzilla being such a success and if Shin Ultraman follows suit or even excels, it could make film history and elevate Godzilla and the Kaiju industry as a whole. Would like to know your thoughts.
ShinEscanor156

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Shin Anthology

Post by Gigantis »

Ehhhhh, the Shin films shouldn't be connected at all. Let it be an anthology but they don't take place in the same Universe.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Universe, more likely to get vs films and crossovers
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Anthology, I'd love to see the same philosophy used to reinvent movies like Mothra, Rodan, and even other Toho sci fi films to the modern day while retaining what made them great to begin with.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

sTop usING aNd apPlyiNg HollYwooD BUzzWorDs anD markEting TeRms to DEscribE JaPAnesE FilMakINg.

Anyways, anthology all the way. No universe or anything. It limits the film makers creativity and what they can or can't do.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I want it to just an Anthology series with Anno and Higuchi at the helm recreating the themes of classic tokusatsu in a modern setting.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Shin Gamera when?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Living Corpse wrote:Shin Gamera when?
Well we did kinda get it.

It was only a couple minutes long but we got it. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Shin Gamera when?
Well we did kinda get it.

It was only a couple minutes long but we got it. :P
I know, and it's a shame his big Five-oh came and went without much outside of that proof of concept film.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Anthology. I do absolutely want another cinematic universe with kahntinyooitee and crossovers and all that; that's been the kaiju genre's standard since 1964, and it should stay that way. But Shin Godzilla was pretty clearly intended as a standalone film, and in any case I don't want that particular incarnation of Godziller to be the star of an ongoing series; I'd prefer something more traditional. For now, since Shin Ultraman is happening, they might as well just make this a loose anthology, standalone back-to-formula revivals for the big, core kaiju: Mothra, Rodan, possibly Ghidorah (set in space as an origin story or something), Gamera. Maybe even do something batshit crazy and try to create a new monster or two. Continue to make these films good, intelligent, capable of making a good impression on general audiences and critics alike, use them to really put these kaiju back on the map in Japan. Then ten, fifteen years down the road, with proper care and planning, take a stab at a cinematic universe. We won't need to open with introductory movies for each monster; if the anthology does its job, audiences will know who these monsters are at their core, so the CU will just be able to launch into the crossovery mayhem early on.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Shin King Kong.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Shinya
He Jock it Made of Steel

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Maybe?

Ebirah, Ghidorah, Kumonga, and Hedorah could be interesting with elements of a horror movie. I'm just not sure if I want to see "Shin Rodan" or "Shin Mothra"
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Shinya
Or Shinilla, lol?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat May 30, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

A Shin anthology would be interesting. Instead of having the films be connected in a shared universe, they would all take place in their own separate continuities. I like that. But alas, I doubt that Toho will do anything like that anytime soon.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I know its probably partially a joke but Shin Mothra or Shin Rodan would not be an exact copy of Shin Godzilla just with Mothra or Rodan. Besides Rodan is superficial enough that a Shin version wouldn't be all that different from the standard Rodan. There's very few films or franchises where a Shin reboot would or could do much differently to warrant it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Shinya
And yet somehow still less creepy than the Showa era version...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

For clarification, when I talk about Shin style Mothra or Rodan or whoever, I'm not talking about the aesthetic design of the monster resembling 2016 Godzilla. I don't want a horrifying deformed Mothra with a morbidly obese abdomen spewing unholy death clouds of poison powder into the streets. Well... okay, now that I type that out, I guess I'm not entirely uninterested in the idea. :lol: But no, I mean films that take the monsters back to basics, get to the root of what they were originally meant to be, while also updating them and the issues they represent to be relevant for modern audiences.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Considering how similar there origins are though, wouldn't Shin Rodan actually be pretty closely linked to Shin Godzilla? They're both about creatures being irradiated by nukes with that also being the number one tragedy.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote:I don't want a horrifying deformed Mothra with a morbidly obese abdomen spewing unholy death clouds of poison powder into the streets. Well... okay, now that I type that out, I guess I'm not entirely uninterested in the idea. :lol:
I was going to say, "I didn't want that, either, until I read it in your post." Then I got to your next sentence, and you had that point covered. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.