Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Re: Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

I saw someone bring up the point: Why would Bandai bother releasing a new Heisei Gamera figure if the franchise wasn't gonna come back in some way?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

That seems like a really big reach to me. Why would a lone Bandai figure signal a coming movie (or whatever)?

Maybe someone working for Bandai is a big Gamera fan? Maybe they have the license and just want to profit from it? There are a number of more reasonable assumptions than "it must mean a new movie!"
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

A figure was released because there's enough cult appeal that it would likely sell and make a decent enough profit from those that still care. Same reason they are still making toys for franchises like Gremlins, Robocop, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc. here in the US. That doesn't mean there's a new movie on the horizon.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Personally I lean towards not wanting to see an American reboot, honestly. It's cool to think about it, but I doubt studios would want to take the chance. Sadly, in the states Gamera is regarded as a joke (fuck you MST3K) and the idea of a giant flying turtle is, even if it's hypocritical, a hard thing to pitch to your average American. Even Kaneko wanted to get rid of the flight thing but Daiei forced him to keep it. Which to me, just serves as proof that as long as something works within the context of its own universe and looks visually appealing, audiences will like it.

And before anyone asks, what I mean by hypocritical is the fact we live in an age where superheroes are the dominant box office fare. It strikes me as oddly paradoxical there are still people that look down on kaiju/toku without at least keeping an open mind. Maybe it's my age talking but I can remember a time when a lot of "nerd stuff" was by no means mainstream and liking that kind of stuff past the 5th grade got you made fun of, like superheroes and video games. At least not popular in the sense that it's become a cultural touchstone for many. Sadly misconceptions and unfair biases still cloud a lot of people's sense of judgment.
Resized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Even Kaneko wanted to get rid of the flight thing but Daiei forced him to keep it.
Huh. And people say executive meddling is always a bad thing!

And Gamera is better off not coming to America at the moment. Not because of hypocritical belief, but because the kaiju genre, honestly, isn't ready to introduce a rather unknown character like him, most that appear are well known in at least some fashion (Kong and Godzilla because duh, and the big four because they're Godzilla's best known enemies). Gamera's better in Japan where he's actually known.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MST3K (and "its" opinion of Gamera) hasn't been culturally relevant in over twenty years, at least not in any large way. Even at the peak of its popularity it was barely more than a hip cult show. So I don't think it's to blame for how Gamera is viewed in America. What's more likely is that those movies are just fucking weird to begin with and will never be taken seriously.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Executive meddling clearly saved the day on that one. Taking away Gamera's flight (especially the flying saucer mode) is like taking away Godzilla's Atomic Breath. It's his most iconic feature.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Hmm, y'know, i just thought of something. What if we had a Gamera reboot that is a U.S-Japan collaboration? Kadokawa teams up with another studio, (maybe Universal or Paramount or something) and while they handle most of it, maybe the other studio could lend in some Hollywood money to make it look better (let's face it, American CGI still looks better than Japanese ones, even though they improved) and maybe even have it be co-directed with an American and Japanese director, along with a well known Hollywood composer. I don't think anyone would really be against the idea.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I would like to see a modern movie where Gamera is bad, with a dark tone like the '90s trilogy.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

How about the series goes in the opposite direction? A kid friendly and focused chibi Gamera movie!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:How about the series goes in the opposite direction? A kid friendly and focused chibi Gamera movie!
I'd say Gamera the Brave already gave us that.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote:
Vakanai wrote:How about the series goes in the opposite direction? A kid friendly and focused chibi Gamera movie!
I'd say Gamera the Brave already gave us that.
He was cute, but he wasn't chibi. I want that mascot version in film fighting chibi versions of classic foes.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: He was cute, but he wasn't chibi. I want that mascot version in film fighting chibi versions of classic foes.
OH, i knows! A deconstructive parody of the new chibi kaiju craze. Chibi Gamera has to go up against all the other monsters, who look like they're still in the average darker kaiju film! :lol:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote:
Vakanai wrote: He was cute, but he wasn't chibi. I want that mascot version in film fighting chibi versions of classic foes.
OH, i knows! A deconstructive parody of the new chibi kaiju craze. Chibi Gamera has to go up against all the other monsters, who look like they're still in the average darker kaiju film! :lol:
No, just play it straight for small kids.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: No, just play it straight for small kids.
Oh fine, can we at least make it a musical?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote:
Vakanai wrote: No, just play it straight for small kids.
Oh fine, can we at least make it a musical?
Of course not - it's impossible to dub songs from Japanese to English and sound good, and it's just not the same reading subtitles to get a song. Got to think of the international audience. One opening theme song is okay though.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote:Executive meddling clearly saved the day on that one. Taking away Gamera's flight (especially the flying saucer mode) is like taking away Godzilla's Atomic Breath. It's his most iconic feature.
Hey, how about that? For once, exectutive meddling did something right!

Usually when they do something, it ends up like Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain (the classic example of them getting it wrong on so many levels).

Gonzilla
Yojimbo

Post by Gonzilla »

I want a US reboot, with a Joel Hodgson cameo as either a victim or a comic relief one liner.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I think my dream would be if the first post Monsterverse Toho G film is Godzilla vs Gamera. Would be able to "relatively" hold its own after Godzilla vs Kong.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Anguirus wrote:I think my dream would be if the first post Monsterverse Toho G film is Godzilla vs Gamera. Would be able to "relatively" hold its own after Godzilla vs Kong.
Gamera needs to be built up in his own solo before going up against Godzilla.