Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Gamera in the Monsterverse isn't outside the realm of possibility but I wouldn't hold my breath.
But a new Gamera movie? I sure hope so. I don't have Twitter, what exactly does that announcement entail?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:04 am Gamera in the Monsterverse isn't outside the realm of possibility but I wouldn't hold my breath.
But a new Gamera movie? I sure hope so. I don't have Twitter, what exactly does that announcement entail?
That the concept of a potential Reiwa Gamera film is complete.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

About as inevitable as that Godzilla Pacific Rim crossover the way things are going. I want him to return.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:40 pm I'll be shocked if Gamera appears in the Monsterverse. I don't think Toho will allow it, and I've had the feeling all along that there won't be any MV films beyond GvK. Not because of lack of success, but because Toho is going to get back to making its own Godzilla films.
The MV films have been profitable, with no real investment on their part. It's good, easy money and they're a business.
The hope is, the next licensing deal will be set up so they can make their own Godzilla movies and still have the MV continue.

Added in 8 minutes 8 seconds:
LamangoKaijura wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:04 pm About as inevitable as that Godzilla Pacific Rim crossover the way things are going. I want him to return.
Much more inevitable than that. Godzilla and Pac Rim will never happen. Gamera coming back at some point is actually going to happen.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Are they going to adapt the 2016 trailer into a real movie?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:00 pm Are they going to adapt the 2016 trailer into a real movie?
I would LOVE that, but probably not. It's like that CGI Ultraman trailer we got around then too vs what Shin Ultraman looks like.
Honestly? We might just get an official Shin Gamera...

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I just hope it’s not a anime show. I might take a anime movie though
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:47 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:00 pm Are they going to adapt the 2016 trailer into a real movie?
I would LOVE that, but probably not. It's like that CGI Ultraman trailer we got around then too vs what Shin Ultraman looks like.
The CGI Ultraman 'trailer' was just a short film and didn't become Shin Ultraman.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:44 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:47 am
The CGI Ultraman 'trailer' was just a short film and didn't become Shin Ultraman.
That's exactly my point - I think the same thing is going to happen here. I think the Gamera trailer will end up just like the Ultraman trailer, with them going in a very different direction instead.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know I said this before, but I think that if they make another Gamera film, they should refrain from using Gyaos for once. Also, they should bring Ko Otani back.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Wow. So hyped! If Kaneko is doing another Gamera project...are we getting an official Gamera 4? Or just something new? Hoping for the former!

Plus, the Heisei Gamera trilogy has been getting a ton of hype and attention for a good few years. Toys, events, rereleases in Japanese theaters...it’s definitely popular and definitey something worth continuing to bank off of.

Please...i beg...i need a Gamera 4
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:24 pm Wow. So hyped! If Kaneko is doing another Gamera project...are we getting an official Gamera 4? Or just something new? Hoping for the former!

Plus, the Heisei Gamera trilogy has been getting a ton of hype and attention for a good few years. Toys, events, rereleases in Japanese theaters...it’s definitely popular and definitey something worth continuing to bank off of.

I'm hoping for the latter, for something new. I love the trilogy, but that ended 22 years ago! I mean a continuation of "where are they now" might make for a great manga or comic or novel, but a film project after so long as to stand apart from that I think, and I don't care how often it's been rereleased in Japan.

Besides, I'm curious what they'd do and where they'd go if they were to start from the beginning again. Get a different take, a new mythos, change things up and make a different Gamera than we've got before, rather than revisiting something familiar.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

If we are talking about a full length new feature film....do a reboot. Don't create any kind of barrier to a new generation of viewers by connecting it to films from over 20 years ago.

PLEASE lets cut out the "Shin" naming scheme. It is already getting old.

Beyond that...I would be all for a live action film or an anime film. I would be fine with 2D animation or a Gantz:0-esque 3D animation.

If it MUST be something connected to the Heisei Trilogy....then THAT should be something like a 'special'...like some sort of special 20-40 minute "epilogue" to the trilogy that wraps it up. Almost like the "Gamera 4" fan-film but done in a modern, "official" capacity...purely as a send off for that trilogy.

I don't want a TV series of any kind.

Here is SOME news on what Kadokawa is up to these days.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/ja ... 05135.html

Perhaps an animated incarnation of Gamera MIGHT be in the cards for whatever they may be cooking up?
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Chrispy_G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:57 pm If we are talking about a full length new feature film....do a reboot. Don't create any kind of barrier to a new generation of viewers by connecting it to films from over 20 years ago.

PLEASE lets cut out the "Shin" naming scheme. It is already getting old.

Beyond that...I would be all for a live action film or an anime film. I would be fine with 2D animation or a Gantz:0-esque 3D animation.

If it MUST be something connected to the Heisei Trilogy....then THAT should be something like a 'special'...like some sort of special 20-40 minute "epilogue" to the trilogy that wraps it up. Almost like the "Gamera 4" fan-film but done in a modern, "official" capacity...purely as a send off for that trilogy.

I don't want a TV series of any kind.

Here is SOME news on what Kadokawa is up to these days.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/ja ... 05135.html

Perhaps an animated incarnation of Gamera MIGHT be in the cards for whatever they may be cooking up?
That’s interesting, I think it’s possible but also doubtful. But anyways, if they make a Reiwa Gamera film, I would prefer Gamera being some type of prehistoric monster that was living in Atlanta much like the Showa Gamera origins. I like a more natural origin.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Denis wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:59 pm That’s interesting, I think it’s possible but also doubtful. But anyways, if they make a Reiwa Gamera film, I would prefer Gamera being some type of prehistoric monster that was living in Atlanta much like the Showa Gamera origins. I like a more natural origin.
See, I think with Gamera being such a box of goodies like having the ability to fly, do the spinning flight and traditional rocket flight....it just feels weird for that to be "natural"

Meanwhile, the idea that he is some kind of genetically engineered/enhanced creation BUILT for battle is so damn metal

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Denis wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:59 pmThat’s interesting, I think it’s possible but also doubtful. But anyways, if they make a Reiwa Gamera film, I would prefer Gamera being some type of prehistoric monster that was living in Atlanta much like the Showa Gamera origins. I like a more natural origin.
I can see it now, we start off in pre-colonial times when the Europeans meet a group of Native Americans worshiping and fearing a great "sky turtle who breathes flames." The colonists attack the native tribe for their lands and to convert them away from their "primitive" nonsense. Then we fast forward hundreds of years into the present, as a shadow falls over...Atlanta, Georgia. :lol:

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Vakanai wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:39 am
Denis wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:59 pmThat’s interesting, I think it’s possible but also doubtful. But anyways, if they make a Reiwa Gamera film, I would prefer Gamera being some type of prehistoric monster that was living in Atlanta much like the Showa Gamera origins. I like a more natural origin.
I can see it now, we start off in pre-colonial times when the Europeans meet a group of Native Americans worshiping and fearing a great "sky turtle who breathes flames." The colonists attack the native tribe for their lands and to convert them away from their "primitive" nonsense. Then we fast forward hundreds of years into the present, as a shadow falls over...Atlanta, Georgia. :lol:
Oof, I meant Atlantis, but you get what I mean.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... an/.173454

Kadokawa with those big animation moves they were recently discussing. Evidently they are making big moves in general.

Gosh...you would have to hope SOME kind of Gamera or Daimajin feature film reboot was in the cards. Two properties with the possibility of a live action film, anime film, Japanese production or US production of EITHER...you would think one of them would get something.

Heck, Gamera getting some amazingly perfect Hollywood debut and franchise that trumps and one-ups Godzilla's debut(G98) and franchise(monsterverse) would almost seem to be borderline destiny at this point....considering how the Heisei Era and "Blu Ray Box Set" battles both played out.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:24 pm Wow. So hyped! If Kaneko is doing another Gamera project...are we getting an official Gamera 4? Or just something new? Hoping for the former!

I mean this is a big maybe but if they are making a Sequel to the Gamera Trilogy “MAYBE” they could make that fan film Gamera 4: Truth into a Big budget Movie Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think Kadokawa will have anything more than very tentative plans for Gamera or Daimajin until after the summer release of their new Yokai sequel. If we're talking about history repeating itself, just look at 2005, when Kadokawa's moderately successful remake of The Great Yokai War opened the door for new Gamera and Daimajin content.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.