How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Reiwa Mothra... How do you want her?

Post by Vakanai »

szmigiel wrote:Lastly If they really are planning a multi film franchise, that has elements that lead from one film into another. I want to see Mothra go through her life cycle of rebirth more slowly. I don't want to see her emerge from an egg, cocoon herself, an emerge again as her adult form in one film.
This, I'd love for the caterpillar stage to last for a good two to three movies. Kind of like the last half of the Showa era, except that ended without the twins ever cocooning and I'd want to get to the adult stage again eventually.

Added in 4 minutes 43 seconds:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Something with the physical capabilities/abilities of the Monsterverse (not necessarily the stinger, but for sure the arms capable of melee fighting for sure, and preferably the webbing too), an extended/expanded mythology like the Heisei era, and a return of the twin Mothras idea from the Showa era but actually have them both become adults at some point during the series. Something like that, with a good modern Toho design, would be the perfect Mothra/Mothras for me. Can you imagine the twin Mothras hatching from an egg like Showa, turning into two beautiful adults, butting heads a bit with Battra from the Heisei film, and the evil fairy sister from the trilogy, and able to hit and web like Monsterverse Mothra. That'd be a great blend of my favorite aspects of Mothra over the years.

Added in 14 minutes 18 seconds:
MM Raids Again wrote:And while I really don't want to see ALL of Mothra's powers from the Heisei era return, I must admit I hope we see her wing lightning again. I've always liked that with her powder in 1992.
While I can do without the rays, I could definitely go for the wing lightning returning too, and the poison powder or whatever. But it should be a rare move, nothing she can just span.

Added in 2 minutes 32 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Honestly, as long as she isn’t “Queen of the Monsters” and fits into whatever movie she appears in appropriately, then I’m fine with whatever.
What's wrong with the title Queen of the Monsters?
Eh,it fits best when she's close to Godzilla like the MonsterVerse continuity. When the two of them are rivals again,her title should become "Goddes of Earth " or something like that.
Eh, I don't think it's dependent on Godzilla. Friend or foe, she is the Queen, whatever her relationship to Goji.

Plus I'm not a fan of an outright antagonistic relationship. Mothra defends the earth and is above petty hate - if she fights Godzilla or teams up with Godzilla, it shouldn't be personal, just her doing her guardian thing. At least for the evil and neutral versions of Goji, obviously she should be friends with heroic versions of Goji.

I'm in the minority, but I've got my fingers crossed for hero Goji in WoG, fat chance it may be,

Added in 1 minute 33 seconds:
mikelcho wrote:I think that that first one is probably one of those weird photoshopped pictures that I've seen done with animals before.

Probably similar to a mounted jackalope head.
Nope, that moth really has those weird tentacle things. Think those are for reproduction. Freaky, but real.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Something with the physical capabilities/abilities of the Monsterverse (not necessarily the stinger, but for sure the arms capable of melee fighting for sure, and preferably the webbing too), an extended/expanded mythology like the Heisei era, and a return of the twin Mothras idea from the Showa era but actually have them both become adults at some point during the series. Something like that, with a good modern Toho design, would be the perfect Mothra/Mothras for me. Can you imagine the twin Mothras hatching from an egg like Showa, turning into two beautiful adults, butting heads a bit with Battra from the Heisei film, and the evil fairy sister from the trilogy, and able to hit and web like Monsterverse Mothra. That'd be a great blend of my favorite aspects of Mothra over the years.

Added in 14 minutes 18 seconds:

While I can do without the rays, I could definitely go for the wing lightning returning too, and the poison powder or whatever. But it should be a rare move, nothing she can just span.

Added in 2 minutes 32 seconds:

What's wrong with the title Queen of the Monsters?
Eh,it fits best when she's close to Godzilla like the MonsterVerse continuity. When the two of them are rivals again,her title should become "Goddes of Earth " or something like that.
Eh, I don't think it's dependent on Godzilla. Friend or foe, she is the Queen, whatever her relationship to Goji.

Plus I'm not a fan of an outright antagonistic relationship. Mothra defends the earth and is above petty hate - if she fights Godzilla or teams up with Godzilla, it shouldn't be personal,just her doing her guardian thing. At least for the evil and neutral versions of Goji, obviously she should be friends with heroic versions of Goji.

I'm in the minority, but I've got my fingers crossed for hero Goji in WoG, fat chance it may be,
Oh i didn't mean Mothra,i think Godzilla himself would be the one to start the grudge. In my vision,Godzilla starts off as a full on psychotic,petty bastard before eventually calming himself and becoming an anti-hero later on. After his first fight with Mothra where she clearly comes out on top,Godzilla would follow her back to Infant Island in secret and would attack the isle when she wouldn't expect it. Now Mothra's already laid her egg and will do everything in her power to protect it. But Godzilla arrives and then burns a good 1/5th of Infant Island to a crisp,easily pushes aside the still half-asleep Mothra,and with one good shot of his atomic breath...

BOOOOOOOM!

Godzilla atomizes the egg. And Mothra's. Skreoonking. PISSED! She quickly gets back in the game and wins round 2 in her rage induced state and drives Godzilla off the island. This would leave her with a massive grudge against him and strong unwillingness to team up with him when Ghidorah arrives from space.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Idk if I'd be cool with Godzilla losing mono'e'mono twice in one film tbh lol.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:Idk if I'd be cool with Godzilla losing mono'e'mono twice in one film tbh lol.
Well the first fight would be more of a brains over brawn situation (Godzilla isn't dumb,but his rage and constant need for destruction clouds his judgement sometimes). Only the second fight would it be Godzilla getting a taste of his own medicine of beating the enemy monster 4 feet under and have them scamper away. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: ...you mean how Mothra always was, and KOTM for whatever reason decided to give into the whole dumb Godzilla Mothra shipping thing?
What are you talking about? I don't think I've ever seen a film continuity where Mothra was actively antagonistic toward Godzilla. Every time she's fought him, it's been in order to stop a threat that had to be stopped, and she was often kinda reluctant about it. In GTTHM she never expressed any hesitation to cooperate with him, she respected the original Godzilla's bones in Tokyo SOS, and she was his willing ally (and vice-versa) in Marc Cerasini's Godzilla 2000 and other Random House novels.
I meant more that Mothra is not Godzilla’s friend, or even an ally. I don’t think that’s a controversial opinion, considering the events of MVG, GVM 92, GMK, etc...
Mothra in Tokyo SOS, respected the bones, in that they were dead, not Godzilla itself

Also, hate to be an elitist Kaiju jerk, but I don’t count the novels or whatever as anything substantial as they’re just young adult fan fiction.

Feel free to disagree with me on any of this, or any of my specific reasoning here. I just don’t want a Mothra that is actively friendly towards Godzilla like in KOTM. Neutral/ambivalent is fine.

I guess one other thing, similar, is I’d actually like Mothra to actively not give a shit about humanity, just her worshippers, like in the original Mothra61 and 64.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think Mothra should support nature 100% of the time. That could put Godzilla and Mothra at odds in some situations but also give them the opportunity to ally against a common foe.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:I think Mothra should support nature 100% of the time. That could put Godzilla and Mothra at odds in some situations but also give them the opportunity to ally against a common foe.
Okay, I agree with that. If you think about that, maybe other then KOTM, that’s the one thing that’s been 100% consistent with all the incarnations.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Also, hate to be an elitist Kaiju jerk, but I don’t count the novels or whatever as anything substantial as they’re just young adult fan fiction.
I will go ahead and contest this on the grounds that half the movies at this point have been made with no involvement from the original creative team, sometimes by fans that also happen to be professional filmmakers. What makes, say, Anno's take on Godzilla any more valid than Marc Cerasini's?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Also, hate to be an elitist Kaiju jerk, but I don’t count the novels or whatever as anything substantial as they’re just young adult fan fiction.
I will go ahead and contest this on the grounds that half the movies at this point have been made with no involvement from the original creative team, sometimes by fans that also happen to be professional filmmakers. What makes, say, Anno's take on Godzilla any more valid than Marc Cerasini's?
Because Anno works for Toho, and made a film, not a novel.

I suppose you raise a good point though cause I love the comics. Hmmm...
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Yeah, for better or worse, cinematic takes on the character are far more canonic than novels (literary or graphic) published by American licensees.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:Yeah, for better or worse, cinematic takes on the character are far more canonic than novels (literary or graphic) published by American licensees.
Yeah. Thinking about it more, nothing against the novels or comics, they’re cool, they’re just not what I think about when I think about incarnations of monsters.

I think even then, I would never use any Japanese manga as an actual reference anything near the actual film. The only except to any of this might be the two Godzilla anime tie in novels.

Also sorry about the young adult jab, just a side effect of me being a pretentious lit major in college.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't even disagree that the films do seem like they should be given more weight than tie-in materials, largely because it was a film that introduced Godzilla and they've always been the core of the franchise. Still, it seems kind of unfair to relegate all the poor books, comics, and other secondary mediums to... well, secondary status. They're part of the franchise, too, and have undoubtedly served to bring in their share of new fans. Heck, they were a big part of my early years as a G-Fan.

... I mean, I don't put them on the same level as the movies, either, but it's still sad...

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I think they have made Mothra almost "too" good since the early 90's. It's almost on the nose. I think she should be closer to her original counter part and Mothra vs. Godzilla. Where protecting nature takes precedence over protecting humanity. Bad people need to be held accountable.

Also, I think she should appear less frequently. I think we've seen too much of Mothra and King Ghidorah lately.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I think it's time for my boy Battra to make a comeback. He needs more love, damn it.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I would learn heavily into the more fairy tale fantasy aspect of the character. If she gets a new solo movie from Toho, than I would like to see it take place in a slightly more fantastic version of the real world. Have the tone of the film be something along the lines of The Monster Squad and Gamera The Brave.

And absolutely have Battra be in it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:I would learn heavily into the more fairy tale fantasy aspect of the character. If she gets a new solo movie from Toho, than I would like to see it take place in a slightly more fantastic version of the real world. Have the tone of the film be something along the lines of The Monster Squad and Gamera The Brave.

I think that Battra should/could always come back. I always thought that Battra's larva form was awesome, and for the most part Battra was cool. It's just a shame he's stuck in that film. The issue is though that the dynamic will always be awkward, if it's a film with Mothra, Battra and Godzilla.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Why not bench Mothra and give Battra the spotlight for a few movies? That would make more sense than doing an aggressive Mothra. I know, I know, he's not a proven cash cow... but neither was Mothra, back in 1961. Take some chances, again, Toho!
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote:Why not bench Mothra and give Battra the spotlight for a few movies? That would make more sense than doing an aggressive Mothra. I know, I know, he's not a proven cash cow... but neither was Mothra, back in 1961. Take some chances, again, Toho!
It would be cool if Mothra’s LARVA was completely plastered over some Godzilla film, only for it to cocoon and become the adult Battra. Would be a nice twist.

IIRC, Gigamoth, the monster that would become Battra, was that concept.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: It would be cool if Mothra’s LARVA was completely plastered over some Godzilla film, only for it to cocoon and become the adult Battra. Would be a nice twist.

IIRC, Gigamoth, the monster that would become Battra, was that concept.
Oh, that'd be sick. I don't know if I'd want Battra to do that, but if they were to revive Gigamoth as some sort of truly evil (not just strongly pro-environment) moth monster, I'd be 110% on board. This thing masquerades as Mothra, who ideally would be a trusted, beloved figure in this continuity, in order to get through its vulnerable larval state without raising suspicion, and then makes its bid for world domination as soon as it reaches adulthood. With Battra, I feel like he should be a little more up front and honest about his intentions. He's ultimately a hero, after all, even if selfish, destructive humanity might not be inclined to see him that way.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:

Plus I'm not a fan of an outright antagonistic relationship. Mothra defends the earth and is above petty hate - if she fights Godzilla or teams up with Godzilla, it shouldn't be personal,just her doing her guardian thing. At least for the evil and neutral versions of Goji, obviously she should be friends with heroic versions of Goji.

Oh i didn't mean Mothra,i think Godzilla himself would be the one to start the grudge. In my vision,Godzilla starts off as a full on psychotic,petty bastard before eventually calming himself and becoming an anti-hero later on. After his first fight with Mothra where she clearly comes out on top,Godzilla would follow her back to Infant Island in secret and would attack the isle when she wouldn't expect it. Now Mothra's already laid her egg and will do everything in her power to protect it. But Godzilla arrives and then burns a good 1/5th of Infant Island to a crisp,easily pushes aside the still half-asleep Mothra,and with one good shot of his atomic breath...

BOOOOOOOM!

Godzilla atomizes the egg. And Mothra's. Skreoonking. PISSED! She quickly gets back in the game and wins round 2 in her rage induced state and drives Godzilla off the island. This would leave her with a massive grudge against him and strong unwillingness to team up with him when Ghidorah arrives from space.
I wouldn't want Godzilla to lose to Mothra twice like that, and I especially wouldn't want Mothra's egg destroyed, especially since it's always kind of been implied she only gets to lay one egg late in her life cycle (which makes since considering how large that egg is in comparison to her body, of course laying it would kill her).

Added in 4 minutes 31 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I think Mothra should support nature 100% of the time. That could put Godzilla and Mothra at odds in some situations but also give them the opportunity to ally against a common foe.
Okay, I agree with that. If you think about that, maybe other then KOTM, that’s the one thing that’s been 100% consistent with all the incarnations.
No, that's still consistent with KotM. I mean, sure they had a symbiotic partnership in that film, but this is a version of Godzilla that actively restores the balance of nature and Ghidorah was destroying the world, so Mothra was still supporting nature on top of her different relationship with Godzilla. So yeah, consistent part of her character in every version to date.

Added in 5 minutes 36 seconds:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:I would learn heavily into the more fairy tale fantasy aspect of the character. If she gets a new solo movie from Toho, than I would like to see it take place in a slightly more fantastic version of the real world. Have the tone of the film be something along the lines of The Monster Squad and Gamera The Brave.

I could definitely go for a less grounded, more fantasy based Mothra that goes full tilt in on the magic and mystical powers. In one of the RoM films Mothra turned into a whole bunch of tiny Mothras, imagine how beautiful that could look with modern effects and a decent director on the scene. Could be breathtaking.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.