How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Reiwa Mothra... How do you want her?

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Eh, I don't think it's dependent on Godzilla. Friend or foe, she is the Queen, whatever her relationship to Goji.

Plus I'm not a fan of an outright antagonistic relationship. Mothra defends the earth and is above petty hate - if she fights Godzilla or teams up with Godzilla, it shouldn't be personal,just her doing her guardian thing. At least for the evil and neutral versions of Goji, obviously she should be friends with heroic versions of Goji.

I'm in the minority, but I've got my fingers crossed for hero Goji in WoG, fat chance it may be,
Oh i didn't mean Mothra,i think Godzilla himself would be the one to start the grudge. In my vision,Godzilla starts off as a full on psychotic,petty bastard before eventually calming himself and becoming an anti-hero later on. After his first fight with Mothra where she clearly comes out on top,Godzilla would follow her back to Infant Island in secret and would attack the isle when she wouldn't expect it. Now Mothra's already laid her egg and will do everything in her power to protect it. But Godzilla arrives and then burns a good 1/5th of Infant Island to a crisp,easily pushes aside the still half-asleep Mothra,and with one good shot of his atomic breath...

BOOOOOOOM!

Godzilla atomizes the egg. And Mothra's. Skreoonking. PISSED! She quickly gets back in the game and wins round 2 in her rage induced state and drives Godzilla off the island. This would leave her with a massive grudge against him and strong unwillingness to team up with him when Ghidorah arrives from space.
I wouldn't want Godzilla to lose to Mothra twice like that, and I especially wouldn't want Mothra's egg destroyed, especially since it's always kind of been implied she only gets to lay one egg late in her life cycle (which makes since considering how large that egg is in comparison to her body, of course laying it would kill her.[/quote

I actually changed Godzilla loosing twice to just him faking a defeat. Mothra thinks he's gone,but unbeknownst to her,she's being followed. ..

And the only one egg thing,eh,that can be retconed.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think they should bring back the Twin Larvas, one ends up like Leo and the other ends up as Battra.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

_JNavs_ wrote:I think they should bring back the Twin Larvas, one ends up like Leo and the other ends up as Battra.
If they wanted to go the Shin Godzilla route, Battra could be a result of a Mothra egg that got washed to sea by storm and radiated up by a Fukushima-like accident.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Re: Frankenstein in World of Godzilla?

Post by Omegazilla »

Eh I am not so sure an almost human kaiju with uber powers is going to be very successful. I admit, this could fit better in something like Ultraman where that is the norm, but a Godzilla universe? Feels too out of place.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I wanna see a giant Frankenstein who shoots lasers out of his eyes like in the 1931 promo poster.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Actually, I have changed my mind on this. Frankenstein could work. I don't think it could work in a Vs. Godzilla type movie mind you, but in his own movie shared in the universe, it could work. That way Franky can still be an imposing monster in his own right but not need to "compete" against more powerful monsters like Godzilla. Maybe have him fight a monster similar to Baragon, or no monster at all and just against the military. At the very least maybe Franky can get a reference in a Godzilla movie similar to the Kiryu Saga where he is part of the story even if he is not necessarily in the film for a while.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I'd love to have more magic and fantasy incorpored to Mothra. Give Mothra what makes her different in the first place.

Also, I think it would be cool if they go to a more book-based version of her and instead of two fairies, there are hundreds of them inhabiting the island.

Design-wise... I don't know if I want her big or small as long as she actually looks like a deity. MV design grew on me over time and I believe she has enough fantasy elements on her to stand out.
Other than that, and since a moth is basically whatever insect with scaly wings that isn't a butterfly, then I don't really mind how wild they go with the inspiration from real life moths, since there are thousands of them, and they are incredibly varied.

Just look at this: is your insect closer to a butterfly than anything else? Well, screw you, now it's a moth so it goes to the same bag as the horse-chestnut leaf miner.

Just think about how crazy they can go with the design of such a god insect.

Now, about Mothra's attacks... I'm ok with Mothra based around melee combat, but she needs to have some kind of magic-based ability; maybe not a beam like Heisei Mothra or Mothra Leo, but something like miracles or spells or something, something based around fairy tales magic.

Mothra needs to be connected to the whole Phoenix reincarnation process, that's just how it works.

And please don't do that Mothra/Godzilla ship garbage they did with KoTM, that's just awful. Godzilla and Mothra are adversaries since they represent completely opposite messages. Godzilla is our punishment for playing to be gods and unleashing energies we barely know about; he is our penance and we have to live with the uncertainty of when such a horror will break loose again.
Mothra is a protector, but even if she can bring punishment over mankind is to teach them how to become peaceful creatures.
From that perspective, Godzilla is the weapon of armageddon, while Mothra represents a closer image to the catholic God from the Old Testament with pagan elements decorating her.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I find it somewhat amusing how after one film, Godzilla and Mothra shouldn't be allies now going forward because some dumb shipping thing people do.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dracosaurian wrote:I find it somewhat amusing how after one film, Godzilla and Mothra shouldn't be allies now going forward because some dumb shipping thing people do.
Nobody said they shouldn't be allies,but they also shouldn't be all buddy buddy either. They're rivals more often and not anyway and Toho will probably keep it that way.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
Dracosaurian wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:I find it somewhat amusing how after one film, Godzilla and Mothra shouldn't be allies now going forward because some dumb shipping thing people do.
Nobody said they shouldn't be allies,but they also shouldn't be all buddy buddy either. They're rivals more often and not anyway and Toho will probably keep it that way.

But who says they should never be "buddy buddy"? Is there a rule concerning those two that states this? This to me just comes to having different personal preferences. The fact is that we've just had a film where the two in question don't butt heads and actively work together..and it worked. If there are future Toho films where Godzilla and Mothra aren't buddy buddy that's fine, but if a film or two doesn't portray them that way and they get along then that's also valid imo.
Last edited by Dracosaurian on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Maybe not a sillhouette with 2 seconds of screen time, perhaps?

Also, to anyone who hates Mothra and Godzilla being straight allies because of King of the Mosnters, um...

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster? Godzilla vs the Sea Monster (to an extent)? Destroy All Monsters?

Not to mention Heisei Mothra trying to make sure that Godzilla was able to defend the Earth from SpaceGodzilla, or Mothra killing Gigan and essentially saving Godzilla's life? What about her basically teaming up with the original Godzilla (in the form of Kiryu) in Tokyo S.O.S.?

Godzilla and Mothra have always had a very special relationship. Sorry if the big bad American movie decided to just exaggerate that pre-existing relationship and make them symbiotic species (To be clear, I find the ship about as cringe-worthy as the rest of you. I just don't hate their relationship in the film itself).
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Can't be any worse than what US film makers have done with Frankenstein in recent years.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

I would like to see her in larva form only.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gailah 1966 wrote:I would like to see her in larva form only.
Yeah I sort of miss the days where Mothra could just appear in the Larva form without the imago form, or even vice versa.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Also, to anyone who hates Mothra and Godzilla being straight allies because of King of the Mosnters, um...

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster? Godzilla vs the Sea Monster (to an extent)? Destroy All Monsters?

What about her basically teaming up with the original Godzilla (in the form of Kiryu) in Tokyo S.O.S.?
All of these are more complicated than "straight allies," especially the last case. That's a huge reach considering Mothra was also firmly against another Godzilla (one that wasn't controlled and modified by humans for their own purposes) in the same film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:Also, to anyone who hates Mothra and Godzilla being straight allies because of King of the Mosnters, um...

What about her basically teaming up with the original Godzilla (in the form of Kiryu) in Tokyo S.O.S.?
All of these are more complicated than "straight allies," especially the last case. That's a huge reach considering Mothra was also firmly against another Godzilla (one that wasn't controlled and modified by humans for their own purposes) in the same film.
In Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster, Mothra was interested in defeating Ghidorah, for the sake of the Earth. Godzilla agreed, after seeing Mothra fight. DAM has Mothra controlled under aliens, and then humans at the end.

People forget the scene with Mothra at the end of Ebirah, but Mothra shows up to save the people, and Godzilla totally tries to attack Mothra with zero provocation.

In Tokyo Sos, Mothra doesn't team up with Kiryu. She sees Godzilla attacking Japan, and after convincing, agrees to fight Godzilla. Kiryu shows up, and the fight just continues. It's such a super stretch, because Mothra inherently disagrees with Kiryu out of a sort of shinto idea of respecting the dead, and has no actual correlation to Godzilla.

In Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla kills Mothra, and according to what we see and is implied, mortally wounds one of the larva.
In the Heisei series, Mothra fights Godzilla, and Battra, Mothra's friend and almost a species close to it, is killed by Godzilla.

The type of logic that Godzilla and Mothra are allies, borrows from a mindset that I can only assume derives from fan fiction and extra cannon type stuff (comics, books, videogames). Now honestly, Legendary and the Monsterverse can switch Mothra's allegiances up any time they want to. I'm happy when monster allegiances change from film to film. But I think it's a bit disingenuous to act like Mothra and Godzilla were always big allies, and even to the degree of implying some strange sexual relationship.

While it's never directly stated, I think Mothra might be one of the few "organic" kaiju that has no relation to radiation in any way. IE: the Kamacuras grow to the radioactive scientific experiment, Rodan depending on the incarnation is also irradiated. Mothra is totally a naturally occuring "sacred creature" that exists, and within it's debut film in the Godzilla series, Mothra and her island are negatively effected by radiation.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Reiwa Ghidorah: How do you want him?

Post by Gigantis »

Of course the logical next step would be to talk about the three headed terror himself. Ghidorah is a suprisingly versatile character,as his origins and powers have been re worked in almost every film he stared in. So how should he be now?

Personally,i want a very alien Ghidorah. Now i know that in most interpretations Ghidorah is already an alien but i mean more design wise. Some fans have took it up to make really extraterrestrial creepy incarnations like so https://www.deviantart.com/dopepope/art ... -484265031 I mean could you imagine Ghidorah with 18 eyes staring you down?! I would also include a Shin Goji esc. split jaw.

His personality would be very similar to the MonsterVerses version: A sadistic being from the stars who want's nothing more to cause destruction just because. I would also re-add his mane from the Showa era and the crescent horns.

So what about you?

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Re: Reiwa Ghidorah: How do you want him?

Post by GmkGoji »

I want Reiwa Ghidorah to be an extraterrestrial threat that kills for the fun of it. I also want Ghidorah to be Godzilla Earth sized, and have a mutant army of warped, twisted versions of Toho kaiju.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GmkGoji wrote:I want Reiwa Ghidorah to be an extraterrestrial threat that kills for the fun of it. I also want Ghidorah to be Godzilla Earth sized, andhave a mutant army of warped, twisted versions of Toho kaiju.
And how is he gonna lead an army of monsters that he never even met?

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

No, I mean, that he brings along with him.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!