How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Reiwa Ghidorah: How do you want him?

Post by Voyager »

Make him absurdly *something*. Doesn’t matter what. Absurdly powerful? Go for it. Absurdly huge? Hell yeah!

Bring back his GTTHM personality. Someone who destroys planets for shits and giggles. I also want Showa style roars, Showa-esque design, etc.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

What if you did a reversal of GMK Ghidorah? There were once three deadly, giant dragons. These dragons sought to combine to become the ultimate beast, but were stopped before they could. The dragons were buried far away from each other so they'd never combine. In the modern age, one of the dragons is freed and wakes. Its call causes the other to wake as well, and each causes damage as they head for some city location. In the end, the dragons combine to form the three headed terror, which Godzilla must destroy.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:56 pm Here's an idea : Assuming they go back to his roots as a space-dwelling monster, why not give him no eyes? I mean, whereas Godzilla spends most of his time in the ocean, Ghidorah does the same flowing through the pitch-black void of space, so therefore he probably won't need them and instead rely on other senses.
I do think that would be interesting.

LegendZilla
Sazer

King Caesar in the Reiwa Era

Post by LegendZilla »

Hi there, LegendZilla here once again. Today, I will like to discuss whether or not everyone's giant lion-golem, King Caesar deserves another chance in a live action Godzilla film. I often hear people around here complain how he was handled in his 1974 debut, perceiving him as weak, but hey that's what reboots are for. If something didn't work the first time, try again and put more effort.

I am one of those who rather does enjoy King Ceasar as a kaiju. I think he has a ton of potential and amping him up would be the way to go to take the character forward. What ideas do you people have as to what to do with him? for one, they should give him his super-jumping ability that was cut from Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla, making him much more of a good physical combatant. As for a new ability, perhaps the green gem on his forehead could be used for him to make illusions to confuse and/or hypnotize enemies with. The latter ability will only work on organic opponents though, serving as a weakness.

Do you have any ideas as to how Caesar could use a good update? I would prefer if you could stray from the 2004 version as much as possible and avoid anthropomorphization route. Perhaps they should try to take advantage of modern SFX technology and go for a more animalistic route like this :

Feedback would be much appreciated. On a side note, do you have any dream-matches as for kaiju you would like to see him pitted against? Peace out. ;)
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: King Caesar in the Reiwa Era

Post by Vakanai »

I actually disagree on the more animalistic route. I mean, I would love to see a four legged lion themed kaiju, but it shouldn't be King Caesar. It's kind of one of those things where it'd be too different from his design. Part of what makes him King Caesar is the anthropomorphic design, stray from that and while you may have a good kaiju you don't really have King Caesar anymore.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Being a monster based on shisa statues, the four-legged stance could work. Perhaps if he's able to swap between quadrupedal and bipedal modes for battle, you could get the best of both worlds that way.

What I'm more curious about - I wonder if it would be appropriate for him to have a twin, keeping with the tradition of having 2 shisa statues? The "Godziban" web series introduced the nightmare-inducing Miyarabi, sister of Caesar in that show.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Since there is an actual Okinawan myth of a Shisa statue coming to life and defending the land from an invading creature (in this case a giant sea dragon) that gives me an idea. I think it would be a great opportunity to give Caesar an ancient rivalry with Ghidorah (or Manda) and realize a dream match of mine in which Caesar and Godzilla team up to defeat him.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Well we've seen pretty radical redesigns as of late. Particularly with Godzilla. So a more animalistic or fantasy based King Caesar is alright with me! One of many underused kaiju that is just begging to be transformed in a new entry that makes the character much more memorable!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Lesko wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:33 pm Well we've seen pretty radical redesigns as of late. Particularly with Godzilla. So a more animalistic or fantasy based King Caesar is alright with me! One of many underused kaiju that is just begging to be transformed in a new entry that makes the character much more memorable!
I honestly don't think the Godzilla designs have been radical. Shin gave a strong Heisei feeling but just more messed up, Earth was similar to but different from Legendary's, and SP ultimately wasn't too different outside the croc jaw going, and we didn't see much of it too boot. So I think such a KC redesign would really be much more radical, but to each their own.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:33 am Being a monster based on shisa statues, the four-legged stance could work. Perhaps if he's able to swap between quadrupedal and bipedal modes for battle, you could get the best of both worlds that way.

Both Baragon and Varan already do that, so why not KC as well? I would like a quadruped design.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:21 pm
Lesko wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:33 pm Well we've seen pretty radical redesigns as of late. Particularly with Godzilla. So a more animalistic or fantasy based King Caesar is alright with me! One of many underused kaiju that is just begging to be transformed in a new entry that makes the character much more memorable!
I honestly don't think the Godzilla designs have been radical. Shin gave a strong Heisei feeling but just more messed up, Earth was similar to but different from Legendary's, and SP ultimately wasn't too different outside the croc jaw going, and we didn't see much of it too boot. So I think such a KC redesign would really be much more radical, but to each their own.
I guess we just have to agree to disagree here. Shin and even SP are pretty different from what we have gotten relatively speaking. In my opinion of course. Although I do agree that the anime trilogy was very heavy on the LPG design. Just with an Earthy flair to it.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Lesko wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:22 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:21 pm
I guess we just have to agree to disagree here. Shin and even SP are pretty different from what we have gotten relatively speaking. In my opinion of course. Although I do agree that the anime trilogy was very heavy on the LPG design. Just with an Earthy flair to it.
Will have to disagree indeed then, I really don't consider either of them to be radical. I mean, their early forms, sure. But the main forms, they hit pretty close to the Godzilla designs that came before. More so I think than a quadruped KC would be.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

Post by eabaker »

We do not need to build up dozens of different topics about how individual monsters might be presented. Just use this umbrella thread from now on, please.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I'd like to see Kamacuras with more bulk. The GFW design was stated to be made with Anguirus volleyball in mind but script ended up with them in different scenes. And they used rocks like hockey pucks in Showa era.
A bunch of Kamacuras attacking Godzilla like Hockey players with bad sportsmanship could be a very fun fight.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Kamacuras in general have a great potential as a swarm monster honestly. Mantises are already creepy as hell in some cases, not to mention insanely fast while attacking- and utilizing that for a pack-hunting kaiju has a lot of cool merits.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I had a weird idea yesterday of a tamed young or small species Baragon being used to clear debris and snow of railway tracks. Could work for a one-off animated feature or so about a more optimistic take on a "planet of monsters" where Humanity manages to adapt.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:28 pm We do not need to build up dozens of different topics about how individual monsters might be presented. Just use this umbrella thread from now on, please.
It’s a fair deal.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Rodan as an evolving creature would be totally rad. Maybe have him start out as some small lizard-like creature with flaps of skin on his limbs that he uses to glide from trees; and then as time goes on his forelimbs become wings and he evolves into a much larger, more Pteranodon-like form capable of fighting smaller Kaiju. Then he takes on a somewhat intermediate form where he starts to gain more classic "Rodan" traits—and then later he finally stands upright and turns into the Rodan we know and love. :Rodan56:
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:09 pm Rodan as an evolving creature would be totally rad. Maybe have him start out as some small lizard-like creature with flaps of skin on his limbs that he uses to glide from trees; and then as time goes on his forelimbs become wings and he evolves into a much larger, more Pteranodon-like form capable of fighting smaller Kaiju. Then he takes on a somewhat intermediate form where he starts to gain more classic "Rodan" traits—and then later he finally stands upright and turns into the Rodan we know and love. :Rodan56:
So basically, Shin Rodan.

Added in 1 hour 30 minutes 48 seconds:
How would you feel if they gave Mothra a similar arc to Liu Kang in the recent Mortal Kombat games? By that I mean a beacon of virtue falling to the dark side. I know it will be controversial with many, But I won't be opposed to it. You can argue that Battra already fills the niche of a dark version of Mothra, but I am thinking Mothra herself going down the path of darkness and corruption.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:26 pm How would you feel if they gave Mothra a similar arc to Liu Kang in the recent Mortal Kombat games? By that I mean a beacon of virtue falling to the dark side. I know it will be controversial with many, But I won't be opposed to it. You can argue that Battra already fills the niche of a dark version of Mothra, but I am thinking Mothra herself going down the path of darkness and corruption.
That doesn’t really sit right with me. To me, Mothra is a beacon of hope, incorruptible in resolve, soul and heart.
For Emperor and Empire!