How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gerdzerl

How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Gerdzerl »

As the title above says, assuming the next Toho Godzilla incarnation after 2020 is 'nontraditional', like the incarnations featured in Shin Godzilla and the GODZILLA anime trilogy, how could they top Godzilla Earth's origins as a plant-based lifeform? I'm not entirely sure myself, but, off the top of my head, here are a bunch of ideas for directions they might possibly (emphasis on might possibly, none of these are actually likely at all) go in:

Godzilla as a mammal.
Godzilla as an amphibian.
Godzilla as a fish.
Godzilla as an arthropod.
Godzilla being female instead of male.
Godzilla as a dragon.
Godzilla as an alien.
Godzilla as an eldritch abomination.
Godzilla as a demon.
Godzilla as a zombie.
Godzilla being the weakest kaiju in whatever new continuity he appears in.
Godzilla as a genetically-engineered creature.
Godzilla as an intangible, ghostly nature spirit instead of a physical being.
Godzilla being a shapeshifter.
Godzilla as a magical being/explicitly having magic-based powers.
Godzilla having feathers/being bird-like.
Godzilla not being able to swim.
Godzilla not having atomic breath/dorsal plates/a tail.
Godzilla not having eyes, teeth, a tongue, and/or a set of jaws.
Godzilla having more than four limbs and/or multiple heads.
Godzilla being quadrupedal.
Godzilla having wings/being able to fly in a way other than how he did in Godzilla vs. Hedorah.
Godzilla having less/more than three rows of dorsal plates.
Godzilla being able to speak fluently and have conversations with human characters.
Godzilla making and/or using tools and/or technology.
Godzilla being much shorter in height than 50 meters.
Godzilla being far larger in height than 300 meters.
Godzilla having a color palette nobody was expecting for him, such as pink skin and a yellow atomic breath.
Godzilla having a completely new roar that sounds nothing like any of his previous roars.
Godzilla not being able to roar at all.

Again, I seriously doubt that Toho would ever do any of the above, these are just a bunch of random examples. Please keep that in mind.

What do you guys think they might do, assuming they decide to make another "weird" Godzilla?
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Seeing Godzilla turned into an octopus like he originally was intended to be.

I also remember someone working on the original thought Gojira would be a giant frog, so that too.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020

Post by G2000 »

They could take the Millenium concept and run with it. Give pretty much any director who wanted to do a Godzilla movie the chance to do their own take on the character, like they let Anno do in Shin.

Was thinking of doing a pop culture AH timeline where Toho decides to do just that instead of embarking on their World of Godzilla project, resulting in Tarantino getting to make his “Living Under the Rule of Godzilla” concept into a movie (retitled One Nation Under Godzilla).
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Dv-218
Futurian

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Dv-218 »

Maybe not a full on mammal, but I would not mind if they make him into a mutated prehistoric synapsid or something like that. I mean, he always had quasi mammalian features in his face.
A Dimetrodon like creature or a gorgonopsid can certinialy fit the bill imo.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Nothing that will alter the shape of him, that’s for sure. Toho shot down a multi-headed Godzilla idea for Shin.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Make him a giant cloud.
Give him nipples.
Make him look like Baraka.
Have him turned out to be a washed-up actor paid by a mastermind.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

There won't be any changes to Godzilla that make the character completely unrecognizable or unable to make a toy out of.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Oh man I just had the dumbest but best idea ever.

I want a Godzilla salaryman comedy. Have him working in an office building with other kaiju, like a giant monster version of Aggretsuko.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

UltramanGoji wrote:Oh man I just had the dumbest but best idea ever.

I want a Godzilla salaryman comedy. Have him working in an office building with other kaiju, like a giant monster version of Aggretsuko.
I would watch the shit out that.

...You know what? Fuck it, I'm turning that into a comic. That idea needs to see the light of day somehow.

Regarding Godzilla's shape being altered, I wonder if Toho would accept a Godzilla that has three fingers or five fingers. I remember that they stipulated that he has to have four fingers back in the '90s, when the first American film was still in production, but I'm not sure if they'd still be insistent on that nowadays.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I was just thinking, what about a Godzilla that evolved/mutated from an actual sea reptile? A Pliosaur or a Mosasaurid for example. Or heck, even a Marine Crocodile/Metrionychid? (Dakosaurus is already nicknamed "Godzilla" lol). Maybe it's not as weird as the other ideas here, but imo it can be a great way to make a Godzilla that feels both classic and fresh.
Perhaps they can focus more on the aquatic characteristics- give him a flatter tail or dorsal plates that resemble fins for example.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Make the Jira part literal and have a Godzilla that evolved from whales.
The design could be based on primitive whales like Basilosaurus and Pakicetus that could give both a prehistoric look and still keep some of the reptilian ish traits.
It could also allow a lot of the same traits of other Godzillas (intelligence, communication, swimming ability, etc.) and people couldn't whine about how a dinosaur could do that.
Another idea I had for this version I came up with was have the spines be a coral type that fused with the proto-Godzilla when it was hit by the bomb and symbiotically aids it with radiation absorption.
Anyway, that's an idea for a radically different Godzilla I've had kicking around for a while.

Added in 3 minutes 20 seconds:

RIP Evan.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Make the Jira part literal and have a Godzilla that evolved from whales.
The design could be based on primitive whales like Basilosaurus and Pakicetus that could give both a prehistoric look and still keep some of the reptilian ish traits.
It could also allow a lot of the same traits of other Godzillas (intelligence, communication, swimming ability, etc.) and people couldn't whine about how a dinosaur could do that.
Another idea I had for this version I came up with was have the spines be a coral type that fused with the proto-Godzilla when it was hit by the bomb and symbiotically aids it with radiation absorption.
Anyway, that's an idea for a radically different Godzilla I've had kicking around for a while.

Added in 3 minutes 20 seconds:

Is it bad that I actually think it's a cool idea :)?
Basing him off an ancient whale would explain both reptilian and mammalian features simultaneously, and it won't affect his basic sillhouette and design.
I prefer a reptilian Godzilla myself, but if they wanna shake things up and turn him into another animal, then this is a rather nice option.

Also, the Godzilla office comedy idea is gold :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Make the Jira part literal and have a Godzilla that evolved from whales.
Heck, why not go all in and make him an actual cross between a gorilla and a whale?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

To add to the discussion, apperantly there was an alternative origin purposed for Godzilla in the Heisei era, which is some sort of weird whale thing:

So, this is not the 1st time the idea was brought up.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Wish Clive Barker could have gotten his hands on Godzilla.
Godzilla with strange lights, and eerie sounds, hallucination inducing eyes. Sign me up.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Wish Clive Barker could have gotten his hands on Godzilla.
Godzilla with strange lights, and eerie sounds, hallucination inducing eyes. Sign me up.
Actually, what you're describing here is a different project that was suggested in the 70's, and it was meant to be a Toho production. It was called "God's angry messenger" and it was penned by Aramaki.

Though i'm sure that Clive would have done something similar, considering he was going for an apocalyptic approach. Would have loved seeing it.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Maybe they'll make a Godzilla movie that isn't nationalistic, uyoku dentai propaganda for once.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Maybe they'll make a Godzilla movie that isn't nationalistic, uyoku dentai propaganda for once.
Ukyo Dentai?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Sorry, *dantai.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Maybe they'll make a Godzilla movie that isn't nationalistic, uyoku dentai propaganda for once.
Even acknowledging that, yes, Shin Godzilla does have some troubling thematic undercurrents in regard to nationalism (none so far or so blind that make it less a work of art, but yes, they are there to read into), that's like three steps too far in terms of accusation.

Re: Thread: While it does seem like a given that the basic tenets as far as Godzilla himself will always been in place (saurian monster, shoots atomic breath), I do hope they let directors and writers run wild with setting theme, and any interpretation of the monster himself that might serve him without being completely unrecognizable to the iconography.

I still want that stylized, '60s period piece set in a technicolor monster-infested world. Like a twisted lens on where we left the Showa era series.
Last edited by Rodan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.