How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

eabaker wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:57 pm Oh, good, we can start that debate again... :-)
Not really a debate when there's a book confirming it
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by eabaker »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:40 pm
eabaker wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:57 pm Oh, good, we can start that debate again... :-)
Not really a debate when there's a book confirming it
In my experience, evidence rarely prevents argument. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:24 pm
AllosaurHell wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:47 pm Making Godzilla a human-hybrid of some kind.
-ahem-
Oh I know that but I mean with no body horror or stuff like that, just a more expressive half human Godzilla, like this cursed concept art for the unmade Legend of King Kong, but just imagine this applied to Godzilla... In my opinion, going like this could be the way to make Godzilla weirder.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I swear there was a concept art for the 1954 Godzilla that didn't look to far from that..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:48 am I swear there was a concept art for the 1954 Godzilla that didn't look to far from that..
AllosaurHell's link is broken, but I think it was Jim Danforth's Neanderthal-esque Kong. If that's the case, I think this is the Godzilla concept you're referencing (at least, it's what I thought of):

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:22 pm Image
Yep, that's the one! Weird, mushroom cloud looking thing.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:22 pm
Gigantis wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:48 am I swear there was a concept art for the 1954 Godzilla that didn't look to far from that..
AllosaurHell's link is broken, but I think it was Jim Danforth's Neanderthal-esque Kong. If that's the case, I think this is the Godzilla concept you're referencing (at least, it's what I thought of):

For some reason, these forums only seem to accept images from a certain format. I have been having the same trouble.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

I dub these Shroom-Zilla! I'm not sure what else I would call them...

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Yes! The Jim Danforth Neander-Kong is what I tried linking (I genuinely don't understand why I can't link images here).

The link to the design I was referring to. https://imgur.com/gallery/8i7ac
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Pretty sure I've said this before, but if Toho were to ever do a continuation of the Heisei continuity, Godzilla (Junior) could somehow acquire psychic powers.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:22 pm Pretty sure I've said this before, but if Toho were to ever do a continuation of the Heisei continuity, Godzilla (Junior) could somehow acquire psychic powers.
I see absolutely no reason (artistic or commerical) for Toho to revive the Heisei series.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:12 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:22 pm Pretty sure I've said this before, but if Toho were to ever do a continuation of the Heisei continuity, Godzilla (Junior) could somehow acquire psychic powers.
I see absolutely no reason (artistic or commerical) for Toho to revive the Heisei series.
How would it be any different from how the Ultraman series decided to return to older continuities?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:48 pm How would it be any different from how the Ultraman series decided to return to older continuities?
Because the Ultra-Series revolves around older plot points and the Godzilla franchise never has?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:06 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:48 pm How would it be any different from how the Ultraman series decided to return to older continuities?
Because the Ultra-Series revolves around older plot points and the Godzilla franchise never has?
Why would it be harmful if Godzilla did the same?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:21 pm Why would it be harmful if Godzilla did the same?
Considering how Toho's goal right now is to take Godzilla in new directions, it's harmful by taking them backwards from that notion.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:23 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:21 pm Why would it be harmful if Godzilla did the same?
Considering how Toho's goal right now is to take Godzilla in new directions, it's harmful by taking them backwards from that notion.
I wouldn't call it a step backwards, but rather another new direction, albeit different. Do you nostalgia itself in this day and age as something that has become irreversibly tainted by corporate greed? Toho has been taking Godzilla in new directions almost every goddamn time since 1999, so if anything, going a different route by returning to older continuities would be a refreshing change of pace.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:23 pm
Lmao. That's not how business works. Toho isn't taking Godzilla in "new" directions. The scenarios and plots are different, yes. But Shin Godzilla, Godzilla Earth and Ultima all have the same personality. Unyielding, unmoving, slow, emotionless and unnatural. You can literally swap all three into each other's stories and it wouldn't make any difference because each Godzilla in the Reiwa era is, virtually, identical once you remove the outer, physical layer of the character.

As soon as that mixture gets stale and money starts to run dry, you watch how fast Toho reverts to the whole "force of nature" bit that lasted from 1985 until the MonsterVerse.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Man, I sure do love picking between "Unyielding, unmoving, slow, emotionless and unnatural" and "force of nature that has no personality outside of showing up to kill the enemy and fucking back to sleep"!!!!

Toho isn't shit until we get back to the goofy superhero Godzilla from the 70s.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Moth wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:36 pm Man, I sure do love picking between "Unyielding, unmoving, slow, emotionless and unnatural" and "force of nature that has no personality outside of showing up to kill the enemy and skreeonking back to sleep"!!!!

Toho isn't poop until we get back to the goofy superhero Godzilla from the 70s.
While I agree to an extant and I'd LOVE to see a superhero Godzilla return, even if only once. But at least the "force of nature" Godzilla is capable of showing emotion and actual characterization. As IR said in a private chat...

"Personally, I can't fucking wait until Toho gets off this "emotionless god" shtick they've been stuck on for Godzilla since Shin.
It's f'n boring as hell."

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Man, I love Ultima and Shin but Earth's very existence just dampens those two a bit. He's a cardboard cutout being shuffled across the screen at all times.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61: