How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by LegendZilla »

At this point, it is inevitable that they will make him a robot and no I am not thinking about Mechagodzilla. What I mean is, chances are more likely than not that they will literally turn Godzilla himself into a machine.

Voyager
Keizer

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:57 pm At this point, it is inevitable that they will make him a robot and no I am not thinking about Mechagodzilla. What I mean is, chances are more likely than not that they will literally turn Godzilla himself into a machine.
Inevitable? Don’t think so. Godzilla is meant to be a creature, and making him something else kind of takes the meaning away.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:57 pm At this point, it is inevitable that they will make him a robot and no I am not thinking about Mechagodzilla. What I mean is, chances are more likely than not that they will literally turn Godzilla himself into a machine.
IK you said you aren't thinking of MG

but that's literally MG

So no
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Erimaki Anguirus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:45 pm Showing the entire life of Godzilla, baby to adult, getting stronger and stronger and getting more abilities.
I'd prefer something a bit more simple and straightforward like this as well, perhaps covering hatchling (Baby G), juvenile (Minilla/Little G), subadult (Godzilla Jr.) and a final adult form inspired by more traditional designs with new traits sprinkled in for good measure. But if Toho wants to keep it weird I'm all for that as well.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Maybe they'll remember what "Gojira" means and make him an actual gorilla-whale.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

TitanoGoji16 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:36 pm Maybe they'll remember what "Gojira" means and make him an actual gorilla-whale.
Spoiler:
I didn't notice the Gorosaurus influence at first so Godzilla Terrestris seemed a bit gorilla-whale-ish to me at first glance.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:50 am

but that's literally MG

So no
The only difference being that they don't actually call it (Mecha)godzilla. They have it pass as Godzilla himself.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

A four-legged Godzilla? Or one that behaves like a bear.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:49 pm A four-legged Godzilla? Or one that behaves like a bear.

ticks both boxes ;)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:12 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:50 am

but that's literally MG

So no
The only difference being that they don't actually call it (Mecha)godzilla. They have it pass as Godzilla himself.
Again, that's already literally another character in the Godzilla franchise regardless of passing it as Godzilla
They literally pull that in the 1st MG film

So again,

no

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think that Toho's too scared to experiment with certain bizarre ideas for entirely new monsters, so they play it safe and use Godzilla himself as test subject.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Oh.... I can't resist this thread title for some tongue in cheek mayhem!

Godzilla's Delivery Service - where a man sized Godzilla shows up with your package, but only roars.

Godzilla in Ballet - Any sized Godzilla in a Tutu, auditioning for the part of the girl in Sugarplum Fairy!

Godzilla on Broadway - Where full sized Godzilla auditions to become the Killer Rabbit (tm) in Search for the Holy Grail.

Godzilla Hire a Chef - Where the man sized Godzilla shows up, prepares all the ingredients, then burns the house down with his atomic breath!

The real question is, will Toho see the appeal of Godzilla satire anime, and commission it! If it was slap stick enough, I would totally buy that, and play it at family gatherings (along with Holy Grail)!

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Gerdzerl wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:35 pm Godzilla being female instead of male.
Spoiler:
Wasn't GINO (aka Zillo) originally female, since it laid eggs?[\Spoiler]

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

TitanoGoji16 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:36 pm Maybe they'll remember what "Gojira" means and make him an actual gorilla-whale.
I actually endorse this. Now I don't want this to become a new standard for Godzilla or anything but for a one time use I think this would be pretty interesting. Toho could reasonably add a distinctive trait of Godzilla like the dorsal plates to such a design so it is still unmistakably Godzilla. If we can't get that then at least make one of Godzilla's opponents a gorilla whale hybrid. It would be a great way to pay homage to the creature's origins.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

JessIAm wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:08 pm
Gerdzerl wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:35 pm Godzilla being female instead of male.
Spoiler:
Wasn't GINO (aka Zillo) originally female, since it laid eggs?[\Spoiler]
tECHNICALLY CANONICALLY IT IS A MALE WITH HERMAPHRODITY, BUT pATRICK tATOPALOUS MODELLED THE CONCEPT MAQUETTE AND THEREFORE THE cgi MODEL WITH FEMALE GENETALIA.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The last 3 Toho Godzilla’s have been different risk takers for the character. I’m someone who believes they’re missing a huge opportunity with Shin Godzilla. Sooo much merchandise was sold and that movie did insanely good at the box office. That said, I think we’re getting a season two of Singular Point and a more traditional live action Godzilla next from Toho.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Making Godzilla a human-hybrid of some kind.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

AllosaurHell wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:47 pm Making Godzilla a human-hybrid of some kind.
-ahem-

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Oh, good, we can start that debate again... :-)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

JessIAm wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:05 pm Oh.... I can't resist this thread title for some tongue in cheek mayhem!

Godzilla's Delivery Service - where a man sized Godzilla shows up with your package, but only roars.

Godzilla in Ballet - Any sized Godzilla in a Tutu, auditioning for the part of the girl in Sugarplum Fairy!

Godzilla on Broadway - Where full sized Godzilla auditions to become the Killer Rabbit (tm) in Search for the Holy Grail.

Godzilla Hire a Chef - Where the man sized Godzilla shows up, prepares all the ingredients, then burns the house down with his atomic breath!

The real question is, will Toho see the appeal of Godzilla satire anime, and commission it! If it was slap stick enough, I would totally buy that, and play it at family gatherings (along with Holy Grail)!
I still love the Godzilla: The Sitcom idea!