How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by LegendZilla »

Lesko wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:56 pm Given what we have seen from Shin, the anime trilogy, and Singular Point I think Toho is on the right track for different stuff. These entries have ranged from good to bad but one think that is consistent, at least for me is the new directions they go in. Shin Godzilla was a very new and unique Godzilla that pretty much gave him a new look and some different abilities while feeling totally different from previous entries. The anime trilogy was very ambitious and gave us a setting and Godzilla that was unique and practically done from the ground up. Finally I won't say anything about Singular Point because of spoilers other than the new ideas in that series certainly stand out also. So I am very happy with what the Reiwa Era has given thus far and I hope Toho does not deviate from this path. I am sure what they are cooking up next will follow the pattern we have been getting.

For me personally I wanna see Godzilla as an alien like the original Tristar draft. Or the creation of an alien. This is the only origin of Godzilla we haven't quite seen in film or television just yet. It would definitely set up the groundwork for something very interesting with a lot of possibilities. We can do the more generic bioengineered savior of mankind or make him an outright bioweapon from an alien species. Or perhaps just be an alien himself like we normally would expect from something like Ghidorah. Just for fun how about making Spacegodzilla from an alien Godzilla to make things very metaphysical.
The main problem with the idea of having an alien-based origin for Godzilla is that it strips the character of the whole “folly of man factor”. I have seen people complain over that when discussing the original Debont film.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Dinoskell »

I had a weird idea last month,
Hmm, while I hate the idea of making all of history a lie or science a lie ala Mage the Ascencion
The concept of “there was an older timeline, but the threads of reality frayed and had to be put back together.” Like Terry Pratchett is an intriguing one.

That could be interesting for a mindscrew Godzilla series: the reason many of the older kaiju don’t seem to fit into any normal taxonomy is they come from A DIFFERENT OVERWRITTEN TIMELINE. Whatever strange forces allowed them to defy physics also gave them a measure of protection. And this all lead into human protags fighting against a mad conspiracy to restructure reality.

The aliens obsession with our obscure sphere makes sense, some of them have determined it to be the nexus for another possible restructuring event and want to gain control of the process: others just want to know why these other powerful races are so obsessed with it and plan to conquer it and sell it to highest bidder.

Ideas:

Godzilla: Amphibian and Archosaur-resembling characteristics

The MUTOS or Megalon: completely unclassifiable

Maguma: almost mammalian, but shows internal differences such as red blood cells with nuclei.

Mothra and Battra: tied to strange artifacts and ruins that don’t seem to fit into known history. Biology shows signs of possible genetic modification.
Godzilla could have a bit of pathos at who know how many timelines he's been through at this point, or how much of these cycles he remembers.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Mage ? Love the World and Chronicles of Darkness! Always write up insane Bio mages myself. A dead timeline G is an interesting idea. Maybe a long slumbering incarnation of the Earth altered by nuclear power? Maybe a creation by ecoterrorists using hyper evolving microbes with mixture of synthetic DNA that they don't know is emulating dinosaurs and etc? .maybe from one magazine's short, maybe Godzilla is a mutant astronaut after visiting a world covered by quasi dinosaurs that thrive in a radioactive environment? I do like the more down to earth idea of a species of atomic powered amphibious therapods and one achieves the Holy trail of biology through a horrendous nuke accident. G Earth, Ultima, Shin, and Ride Goji all have great traits I think.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Another weird idea: smaller, intelligent relatives of Godzilla in an underground civilization.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Oh: a thought since I had with the JSDFS strange inability to track Godzilla sometimes during the Heisei era, such as Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.*
What if Godzilla isn't mystical in nature, but unknowingly has some minor blessings of spirits/gods and such. Like allowing Godzilla to just seemingly vanish once he reaches deep enough water...
*course nowadays we'd explain it as underwater passages through inner earth Godzilla knows how to use.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

One idea, inspired by Xmen's Children of the Vault, would be in the 50s and 60s the fear of nuclear war and extinction of life made Japan, the Us, and other parties plan a grand experiment. Using recovered Nazi tech and insanely experimental tech, a set of a few islands were bombed and bathed with radiation and stocked with various manner of species. The islands are fitted with an accelerated chronometer that speeds up time on these islands. Every day, 10 years pass, so the experiment starts in 1976 after being proposed in 54(now to showa's duration). Fast forward to 2028, and the experiment ceases due to equipment malfunctions and the last of his kind apex called Godzilla, who feeds on radiation and produces new isotopes breaks away and raids ships but he's hunting lesser creatures that have started to escape.
So divergent evolution makes a weird group of neo dinosauromorphs and other weird flora and fauna.

Maybe by this time the mutant ecosystems are going through collapse, but with super creatures emerging.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Dinoskell wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:01 pm Another weird idea: smaller, intelligent relatives of Godzilla in an underground civilization.
So Troodon man but but instead of Troodon, it Godzilla
If you don’t know what I’m talking about then here’s some contacts: there have been evidence in recent studies that Troodon was actually intelligent and if given the chance it would’ve evolved into Troodon Man like Ape evolve to Human
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:35 am
Dinoskell wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:01 pm Another weird idea: smaller, intelligent relatives of Godzilla in an underground civilization.
So Troodon man but but instead of Troodon, it Godzilla
If you don’t know what I’m talking about then here’s some contacts: there have been evidence in recent studies that Troodon was actually intelligent and if given the chance it would’ve evolved into Troodon Man like Ape evolve to Human
This has been debated strongly and it has been concluded that this particular model is too human-like, not to mention the lack of feathers. However, a race of intelligent "gojirans" would be cool
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The Anime Trilogy did kinda have the Hotua evolve because of Godzilla (their skin protects them from his radiation, i think?) Something adding more onto that with them legit turning into Godzilla would be cool.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Instead of Godzilla being an alien, how about this:
So I had this idea of Godzilla being transported to another planet by humanity using something like the dimension tide, and stumbling into becoming a hero to that planet and being sent back home as a reward.

Of course the first thing he does getting back is go on a rampage destroying everything that may have been involved in sending him to that other world.

The idea of first contact with aliens being them coming to "seek the aid of the noble Godzilla once again" and humanity still in a cycle of conflict with Godzilla, being baffled at what they are hearing cracks me up .

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

A post-apocalyptic story where humanity fails to defeat Godzilla is a concept I still want to see. Of the three anime trilogy films, I only made it through Planet of Monsters. While I generally disdain most of the film's plot points, characters and narrative elements, the whole premise of the trilogy was, at least at a fundamental level, appealing. IIRC, Godzilla prevailed over humanity and reshaped the world to conform to his own image. The idea of Godzilla "winning" over humanity is quite intriguing when you consider that in all "solo" Godzilla films, either human ingenuity or overlapping goals with Godzilla result in the human race eluding whatever dire consequences awaited them. What if this wasn't the case, and Godzilla successfully enacted whatever retribution he was inclined towards, reducing the human population to mere fragments. In this scenario, humans have exhausted all their options. Futuristic arsenals, doomsday devices and superweapons are proven futile in impeding Godzilla's assault, damaging the earth far more than the monster himself would. Even supernatural assistance in the form of Mothra is unavailable, as humanity's disregard for her warnings and negligence toward the earth have left Mothra and her followers estranged. I've always wondered what would've happened had Mothra elected to not aid Japan in warding off Godzilla. Even the typically sympathetic and youthful Shobijin would be embittered, aged and decrepit from the damage wrought by humans in their attempts to both exploit the planet and dispose of a monster they created. Somehow, humanity would have accept that the damage done to the earth is irreparable and view Godzilla and the current human condition as a form of discipline.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Not sure how weird this is: but how about making Godzilla more a wolverine style underdog compared to his enemies? By that I mean play up his regeneration more and show him getting really messed up during fights against monsters that seem stronger. Make him the "new kid on the block" as a freak mutation facing a bunch of more ancient and sometimes mystical monsters, or just ones really dangerous to Earth life like Hedorah.

Could show Mothra's poison powder outright killing another monster, but Godzilla meanwhile only ends up bleeding from nose and mouth and manages to recover but is clearly in a lot of pain like that Dark Horse comic where he was poisoned.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Dinoskell wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:29 am Not sure how weird this is: but how about making Godzilla more a wolverine style underdog compared to his enemies? By that I mean play up his regeneration more and show him getting really messed up during fights against monsters that seem stronger. Make him the "new kid on the block" as a freak mutation facing a bunch of more ancient and sometimes mystical monsters, or just ones really dangerous to Earth life like Hedorah.

Could show Mothra's poison powder outright killing another monster, but Godzilla meanwhile only ends up bleeding from nose and mouth and manages to recover but is clearly in a lot of pain like that Dark Horse comic where he was poisoned.
Oho, I like this!

Maybe bring back Ghidorah’s guardian status, and make him go insane due to Godzilla in some way, like a fallen Angel of sorts.

Make Varan a genuine ‘god’ again, and Manda as well. Heck, use the most supernatural path with Goji’s rogues gallery, like demons and whatnot, while Godzilla is the only ‘folly of man’.

Erimaki Anguirus
Ronin

Post by Erimaki Anguirus »

Showing the entire life of Godzilla, baby to adult, getting stronger and stronger and getting more abilities.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Dinoskell wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:38 pm Instead of Godzilla being an alien, how about this:
So I had this idea of Godzilla being transported to another planet by humanity using something like the dimension tide, and stumbling into becoming a hero to that planet and being sent back home as a reward.

Of course the first thing he does getting back is go on a rampage destroying everything that may have been involved in sending him to that other world.

The idea of first contact with aliens being them coming to "seek the aid of the noble Godzilla once again" and humanity still in a cycle of conflict with Godzilla, being baffled at what they are hearing cracks me up .
I like this.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Andagi1 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:56 pm A post-apocalyptic story where humanity fails to defeat Godzilla is a concept I still want to see. Of the three anime trilogy films, I only made it through Planet of Monsters. While I generally disdain most of the film's plot points, characters and narrative elements, the whole premise of the trilogy was, at least at a fundamental level, appealing. IIRC, Godzilla prevailed over humanity and reshaped the world to conform to his own image. The idea of Godzilla "winning" over humanity is quite intriguing when you consider that in all "solo" Godzilla films, either human ingenuity or overlapping goals with Godzilla result in the human race eluding whatever dire consequences awaited them. What if this wasn't the case, and Godzilla successfully enacted whatever retribution he was inclined towards, reducing the human population to mere fragments. In this scenario, humans have exhausted all their options. Futuristic arsenals, doomsday devices and superweapons are proven futile in impeding Godzilla's assault, damaging the earth far more than the monster himself would. Even supernatural assistance in the form of Mothra is unavailable, as humanity's disregard for her warnings and negligence toward the earth have left Mothra and her followers estranged. I've always wondered what would've happened had Mothra elected to not aid Japan in warding off Godzilla. Even the typically sympathetic and youthful Shobijin would be embittered, aged and decrepit from the damage wrought by humans in their attempts to both exploit the planet and dispose of a monster they created. Somehow, humanity would have accept that the damage done to the earth is irreparable and view Godzilla and the current human condition as a form of discipline.
I would love a post-apocalyptic Godzilla film. This idea sounds rad.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 pm
I believe we just got a whole trilogy of post-apocalyptic Godzilla films.

Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:11 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 pm
I believe we just got a whole trilogy of post-apocalyptic Godzilla films.

I think he was saying a post-apocalyptic Godzilla film done right

donaldino
Yojimbo

Post by donaldino »

- A Godzilla movie that takes place in Prehistoric Times. It would open on an infant, uninhabited Earth. An alien scientist arrives and unleashes microorganisms that create life. Gigantic, radioactive dinosaurs show up who aren't part of the alien's design (I have a theory that dinosaurs were much larger than what science claims they were (their fossils were compressed from being underground so long)). The alien considers dinosaurs an affront to him and wants them extinct. The alien recruits prehistoric people and equips he and his soldiers with hi-tech alien gear and weaponry. Godzilla and other dinosaurs fight for survival against the alien and his army.

- A Godzilla movie set in the not-too-distant future. There's a war between humans and the robots they invented. The humans grow various kaiju from their remains, who's genes are manipulated to obey and fight alongside humanity. These creations help sway the war in favour of humans. Before being deployed, the giant monsters are equipped with defensive-shields. The best kaiju soldier the humans have in their arsenal, Godzilla, is knocked hard on his head and memories belonging to the original Godzilla manifest in his mind. Godzilla goes rogue and fights against both factions at war.
Last edited by donaldino on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Godzilla having some believable strange unusual behavior for an animal could be interesting. Like make him protective of a particular pod of whales. Not whales in general, just that particular pod. A lot of comparisons to kaiju as gods, but I never see really the kind of abritrary whims or attatchments of gods brought up, like saying "I like this one particular thing and I'll kill everyone else that even looks at it funny."
Last edited by Dinoskell on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.