Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by KingKong2005 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:45 pm I’d rather not see kong be like a centipede or some poop
Speak for yourself! There's only one Kong and it's centipede Kong :Megalon: :lol:

So legally speaking, are we all on the same page that Kong CAN be used in the WoG same way he is being used in the MV? Or is this not the case?
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

KingKong2005 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:07 pm So legally speaking, are we all on the same page that Kong CAN be used in the WoG same way he is being used in the MV? Or is this not the case?
I think as long as Toho never actually uses the name of "KING" Kong they should be fine.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:52 pm
Lesko wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:04 pm Could Kong show up? Sure. Should he? No. I want the Reiwa era to be as different from the MV as possible. So far I like the contrast we have between the two. MV is more of your westernized big budget schlock and the Reiwa will have that traditional Toho flare that we have all come to know and love. That said I am not in resentment of Kong showing up in future non MV entries but I just have the feeling that if they did do that it would be way too similar to the MV we just got instead of something different.
Kong showing up in the MV and Toho series is no different than Godzilla showing up in both series. If the plot differences enough it won't make a difference.
Exactly not to mention, this will be like the fourth time Godzilla and King Kong existed in the same continuity if it happens
Last edited by Denis on Fri May 28, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

It'd be cool if Kong in a new potential Toho film will be a mixture of his Peter Jackson and Legendary designs similar to how Godzilla in the new theme park ride is a mixture of his Heisei and Legendary looks.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

kaijuguy19 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:34 pm It'd be cool if Kong in a new potential Toho film will be a mixture of his Peter Jackson and Legendary designs similar to how Godzilla in the new theme park ride is a mixture of his Heisei and Legendary looks.
Or maybe Paramount Kong mixed with Legendary Kong, either mix would be interesting imo.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Denis wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:59 am
Lesko wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:04 pm Could Kong show up? Sure. Should he? No. I want the Reiwa era to be as different from the MV as possible. So far I like the contrast we have between the two. MV is more of your westernized big budget schlock and the Reiwa will have that traditional Toho flare that we have all come to know and love. That said I am not in resentment of Kong showing up in future non MV entries but I just have the feeling that if they did do that it would be way too similar to the MV we just got instead of something different.
Kong showing up in the MV and Toho series is no different than Godzilla showing up in both series. If the plot differences enough it won't make a difference.
Exactly not to mention, this will be like the fourth time Godzilla and King Kong existed in the same continuity if it happens
Not really? It's be the fourth film, but the third continuity.
1. KKvG, KKE
2. GvK
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:05 am

1. KKvG, KKE
2. GvK
I said it would be the fourth time if it happens. The continuities Godzilla and Kong existed together in is Showa (KKE is in that continuity), Kiryu Saga, and of course Monsterverse
Last edited by Denis on Sat May 29, 2021 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Denis wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:58 am

1. KKvG, KKE
2. GvK
I said it would be the fourth time if it happens. The continuities Godzilla and Kong existed together in is Showa (KKE is in that continuity), Kiryu Saga, and of course Monsterverse
King Kong did NOT exist in the Kiryu saga? Only Showa where he appears twice and in MV. He only appears alongside Godzilla twice within 60 years apart. It's more refreshing seeing Kong then seeing Ghidorah or Mothra or MG for the 50th time again.
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKong2005 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:05 am

1. KKvG, KKE
2. GvK
King Kong did NOT exist in the Kiryu saga? Only Showa where he appears twice and in MV. He only appears alongside Godzilla twice within 60 years apart. It's more refreshing seeing Kong then seeing Ghidorah or Mothra or MG for the 50th time again.
The events of KKE happen in the Kiryu saga despite Kong and Godzilla never being around each other.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:54 am

The events of KKE happen in the Kiryu saga despite Kong and Godzilla never being around each other.
Whoah that's crazy, I had no idea about that! Wow!
Image Image

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

1. KKvG, KKE
2. GvK
They actually were in the same continuity, just that they never met. It was interesting nevertheless.
Last edited by Denis on Sat May 29, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

1. KKvG, KKE
2. GvK
The Kiryu Saga? I don't think it showed Kong. The Gargantuas were in that tiny flashback montage, but I'm not sure about Kong. So it'd still be the third continuity but the fourth film if it happens...but then maybe I need to rewatch the movie...
Last edited by Vakanai on Sat May 29, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:15 pm

1. KKvG, KKE
2. GvK
The Kiryu Saga? I don't think it showed Kong. The Gargantuas were in that tiny flashback montage, but I'm not sure about Kong. So it'd still be the third continuity but the fourth film if it happens...but then maybe I need to rewatch the movie...
Source materials state King Kong exists in that continuity. This is the only place I could find it: https://wikizilla.org/w/images/b/bb/Kir ... line_3.jpg
Last edited by Denis on Sat May 29, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I would say it’s highly unlikely that ‘ol Kong would join another Japanese Godzilla series and/or film, but I think it’d be cool if it were to happen. Definitely not as another Godzilla vs. King Kong film though. We already have two of those.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:18 pm I would say it’s highly unlikely that ‘ol Kong would join another Japanese Godzilla series and/or film, but I think it’d be cool if it were to happen. Definitely not as another Godzilla vs. King Kong film though. We already have two of those.
I honestly do expect him to appear but he won’t find Godzilla if that happens.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Denis wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:16 pm

Source materials state King Kong exists in that continuity. This is the only place I could find it: https://wikizilla.org/w/images/b/bb/Kir ... line_3.jpg
I wouldn't really count vague source materials personally, but to each their own I guess? I mean, what's the point of some book saying it happened if we never see it on film? Film is everything, if it's not on the film...I just don't get it.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:25 pm

I wouldn't really count vague source materials personally, but to each their own I guess? I mean, what's the point of some book saying it happened if we never see it on film? Film is everything, if it's not on the film...I just don't get it.
It isn’t vague, it’s from the Tokyo SOS guidebook.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Denis wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:44 pm

It might have been unfair of me to say it that way without giving my reason - I view all movie guidebooks as vague aka obscure because most people will never ever own or read one. Movies are mainstream, their books aren't. To most of the world, and rightly so I believe, if it's not shown up on the screen then it doesn't count. It's only to super hardcore fans that are in love with knowing every little bit of continuity who really take in all these odd bits of trivia from guidebooks and act like it's gospel - and yes I get that it's "gospel" in the sense that at one point the director intended for it to be part of continuity, but it's generally considered by studios for possible sequel/continuation purposes that if it wasn't in film it's free to change should a sequel or prequel or spin off happen because only the actually "in film" continuity matters.

You don't have to agree of course, just sharing why I view such works as vague/obscure/not counting personally.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:54 pm

It might have been unfair of me to say it that way without giving my reason - I view all movie guidebooks as vague aka obscure because most people will never ever own or read one. Movies are mainstream, their books aren't. To most of the world, and rightly so I believe, if it's not shown up on the screen then it doesn't count. It's only to super hardcore fans that are in love with knowing every little bit of continuity who really take in all these odd bits of trivia from guidebooks and act like it's gospel - and yes I get that it's "gospel" in the sense that at one point the director intended for it to be part of continuity, but it's generally considered by studios for possible sequel/continuation purposes that if it wasn't in film it's free to change should a sequel or prequel or spin off happen because only the actually "in film" continuity matters.

You don't have to agree of course, just sharing why I view such works as vague/obscure/not counting personally.
Guidebooks and extra material are made for Hardcore fans that will got out and get more after a movie becasue they loved said movie so much. I doubt the EU of Star Wars for example was made with the understanding that everyone who watched the movies would read the books, It's just giving people who want more a little extra without changing much about the main dish which is the movie.

You don't need icing on every cake but the icing does make a Cake better.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:33 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:54 pm

Guidebooks and extra material are made for Hardcore fans that will got out and get more after a movie becasue they loved said movie so much. I doubt the EU of Star Wars for example was made with the understanding that everyone who watched the movies would read the books, It's just giving people who want more a little extra without changing much about the main dish which is the movie.

You don't need icing on every cake but the icing does make a Cake better.
Oh I agree with that - there's nothing wrong with them, I'm a fan too after all. But like how the Disney movies did away with the old EU of Star Wars, it just goes to show you can't put much stock in material not in the film. It's a fun and fascinating thing that gives us fans more to be happy with, I just view counting it as canon as a sort of trap we fans get into. It's better to view these things kind of like how comic fans view DC's Elseworlds or Marvel's What If...? titles. Out of continuity. But things don't need to "count" or be in continuity to be fun.