Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Denis wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:00 pm Maybe, but I prefer we actually get Sanda and Gaira in World of Godzilla.
Why not all three?

Hell, imagine Kong vs. Gargantuas or King Kong & Godzilla vs the Gargantuas
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:03 am
Denis wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:00 pm Maybe, but I prefer we actually get Sanda and Gaira in World of Godzilla.
Why not all three?

Hell, imagine Kong vs. Gargantuas or King Kong & Godzilla vs the Gargantuas
I actually think Kong vs Gargantuas should be the next Monsterverse film.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:39 am I wonder what a modern Toho Kong suit would look like
You're gonna have to face it (along with everyone else in this fandom). Outside of TV, suitmation in this genre is dead.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:10 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:39 am I wonder what a modern Toho Kong suit would look like
You're gonna have to face it (along with everyone else in this fandom). Outside of TV, suitmation in this genre is dead.
I said that almost 3 years ago lmao, I've known that for quite some time.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:28 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:10 pm
I said that almost 3 years ago lmao, I've known that for quite some time.
I think that if they brought Kong back, they'd go to basing his design largely off of a Japanese macaque like how they did in the 60's.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:03 am
Why not all three?

Hell, imagine Kong vs. the Gargantuas or King Kong & Godzilla vs the Gargantuas
Why not add a fourth one - Frankenstein? Make it complete.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Once the character enters the public domain in 2029, Kong would be a fine alternative to the same old big four Toho has used time and time again.

*edit*

Never mind, don’t get your hopes up : https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... ill_enter/
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:19 pm Once the character enters the public domain in 2029, Kong would be a fine alternative to the same old big four Toho has used time and time again.

*edit*

Never mind, don’t get your hopes up : https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... ill_enter/
So Toho really did get screwed over with their Plans for Kong in the showa era and 90's.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:59 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:19 pm Once the character enters the public domain in 2029, Kong would be a fine alternative to the same old big four Toho has used time and time again.

*edit*

So Toho really did get screwed over with their Plans for Kong in the showa era and 90's.
Now I don’t expect the Kong character to go full PD until 2043 (70 years after the death of Mercian C. Cooper).
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:27 pm

*edit*

Now I don’t expect the Kong character to go full PD until 2043 (70 years after the death of Mercian C. Cooper).
Kong went public domain in the 60's. Toho just didn't realize had they made Godzilla vs Kong in the 90's or featured Kong in DAM and not "King Kong' they would be ok.

Anyone can use a giant gorilla/ape like creature named Kong but you can't use "King Kong"

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:32 am

Kong went public domain in the 60's. Toho just didn't realize had they made Godzilla vs Kong in the 90's or featured Kong in DAM and not "King Kong' they would be ok.

Anyone can use a giant gorilla/ape like creature named Kong but you can't use "King Kong"
The "King Kong" film character goes public domain in 2029. They'll be able to call him Kong or King Kong then.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:02 pm

The "King Kong" film character goes public domain in 2029. They'll be able to call him Kong or King Kong then.
Where did you hear that the character and not just the film will go PD?

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:28 am

The rights to the novel version of Kong are already public domain. "King Kong" the movie becomes public domain in 2029. This includes the character King Kong. They can include a giant ape named Kong or King Kong in a any Toho movie from that point on. They can adapt the story to Kong and King Kong too. They just can't title the whatever films they make "King Kong." This is how public domain works.

Same thing will happen with Superman in a few years. People will have publishing rights to the character and his stories. They just can't title the films "Superman" or "Action Comics"
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:57 am
The rights to the novel version of Kong are already public domain. "King Kong" the movie becomes public domain in 2029. This includes the character King Kong. They can include a giant ape named Kong or King Kong in a any Toho movie from that point on. They can adapt the story to Kong and King Kong too. They just can't title the whatever films they make "King Kong." This is how public domain works.

Same thing will happen with Superman in a few years. People will have publishing rights to the character and his stories. They just can't title the films "Superman" or "Action Comics"
Superman has a lot of powers and iconic status that are tied up by DC as well. Superman will basically be G98, ateast Kong can and will be Kong.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

There's a lot of later additions to Superman that we currently think of with the character - supporting cast and rogues and such. Plus his S shield is trademarked. So it won't feel like Superman so much as a lesser copy.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Vakanai wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:18 am

There's a lot of later additions to Superman that we currently think of with the character - supporting cast and rogues and such. Plus his S shield is trademarked. So it won't feel like Superman so much as a lesser copy.
Well, yeah. Specific story lines, powers, and incarnations of the character need to hit the public domain threshold too.

King Kong doesn't have that problem. Besides maybe the electricity powers. And specific designs.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

The rights to King Kong are a mess all around.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook. ... king-kong/

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Allow me to post this one more time : https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... ill_enter/

I'm pretty sure it explicitly states that only the original 1933 movie will go PD and not the character.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'm not sure I would trust legal advise from a reddit thread.
He Jock it Made of Steel

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:18 pm

Allow me to post this one more time : https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... ill_enter/

I'm pretty sure it explicitly states that only the original 1933 movie will go PD and not the character.
Their wrong. Kong is already public domain which is why Godzilla is mentioned as belonging to Toho in the last film while Kong isn't.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image