Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
tbeasley wrote:Another Wiki find... says it's a First Form from Bullmark but the design doesn't match the tail we see in the movie

But yeah, arguing semantics in a monster movie is kind of beside the point. It's always gonna be a mix of what makes 'sense' and what looks cool or interesting visually. I mean, they say he's some kind of sea reptile in the original but he's this upright walking thing with plates down his back. More than anything, including Shin, his look is meant to connote something prehistoric and mysterious. He's become the ultimate throwback to antediluvian monsters over time.
Ah that's actually really cute, I kinda wish that was the first form, or the creature prior to the mutation. I wouldn't put much stock in some toy, but damn that'd be nice.

And yeah I think you put what I was trying to say better and more politely, that arguing what exactly it is kinda completely arbitrary. To me he's his own creature.
You know, it looks like a modified version of the 50's-60's era Marx Kronosaurus figure:
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I’ve seen a lot of misconceptions among the fan base about shin…

The entities growing on Godzilla’s tail at the end of the film are NOT offspring, or “minions”, that is the new form he was trying to take in response to being taken down by a group effort.
It took an army to beat him, so he becomes an army to counterattack.

Also it was stated at one point during the film that Godzilla could potentially evolve into a form much smaller than his current self (Form 4) and gain the ability to fly, I myself believe this was foreshadowing form 5 and their potential traits. I feel like form 5’s big feat. would be the ability to take flight and spread itself through other parts of the Earth. Rapid colonization. Aka, the end of the human race.

What if Form 5 later evolved into Anno’s Giant God Warriors, now that’s a theory. ;)
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

I was kinda underwhelmed by how Shin Godzilla was treated like in the film.
In promotions and everything said before movie made it look like he was a literal god, or at least, a super OP being, and the movie itself teased us with the "Evolution Incarnate" thing.
Compared whith what everything was saying, Shin was underwhelming.
The movie was still good, and Shin is an excellent monster, but I expected a whole lot more of him.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

We all know Kamata-kun was inspired by frilled sharks but it's interesting to note how big prehistoric frilled sharks actually got!
https://www.deviantart.com/teratophoneu ... -727175957

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

My only complaint about this Godzilla is the lack of any real personality to it. Wasn't fond of the design but it grew on me and is one of my favorite looks for Godzilla.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Godzillian wrote:My only complaint about this Godzilla is the lack of any real personality to it. Wasn't fond of the design but it grew on me and is one of my favorite looks for Godzilla.
I hear a lot of similar complaints about this Godzilla (usually by ankle biters who think its good film criticism) but I never felt it's lack of one was necessarily worth paying attention to. Ignoring the film, the design and abilities it has alone are good and unique differentiators and I'd argue it's lack of character basically is it's personality. You don't really get many apathetic versions of Godzilla.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I’m pretty much reviving this topic, but I would like to put down my thoughts on this incarnation Godzilla. I love this Godzilla incarnation due to the fact it used body horror and creepiness for its design and I really enjoyed that. Shin Godzilla may not have a personality to him but how do you say for this incarnation it works for him particular because he’s kind of like abomination. As for the other forms I do like them too gives off a general creepiness to them. I heard some say this Godzilla incarnation is worse than the 1998 vision I can see without a doubt this is flat out wrong, I may like 1998 more to shin Godzilla as a movie but The monster shin Godzilla has this all the way, I genuinely don’t understand where this is coming from. But I digress people have different opinions and I’m not gonna Gate keep even though I did as of now but till then I think this is my second favorite Godzilla incarnation first goes to legendary Godzilla, I generally think that legendary Godzilla is the best incarnation ever to be made.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

This Godzilla was borderline perfect. In every way shape and form. The most superb and grisly reimagining of the King of the Monsters, ever.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image