Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
UltramanGoji

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by UltramanGoji »

Vakanai wrote:Are any of these available on DVD or Blu-ray in the US yet?
No. You'd have heard about it if they were.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Are any of these available on DVD or Blu-ray in the US yet?
No. You'd have heard about it if they were.
Damn, it's been three years since the first, what's taking so long?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Would it be wrong for me to say that these are my favorite Godzilla movies since G2000?
(I love space sci/fi just as much as monsters haha)

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Anguirus wrote:Would it be wrong for me to say that these are my favorite Godzilla movies since G2000?
(I love space sci/fi just as much as monsters haha)
No it wouldn't be wrong. People like what they like. I liked these movies too (at least the first two, I'm putting off the third until I can get them on disk).

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: Damn, it's been three years since the first, what's taking so long?
Think ya kinda missed the point of why these are called Netflix exclusive films. Ir did one get a DVD anyway and i wasn't aware?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Damn, it's been three years since the first, what's taking so long?
Think ya kinda missed the point of why these are called Netflix exclusive films. Ir did one get a DVD anyway and i wasn't aware?
I have not missed the point - Netflix exclusive doesn't mean Netflix original or Netflix forever, eventually the deal will end, and hell even some Netflix shows like Daredevil have gotten DVD/Blu-ray releases. This has to have a physical release eventually. So I think asking the question once a year should be fine. Especially since I don't follow this thread.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

^Honestly, if we haven't gotten it now, i don't think we'll ever get it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I wouldn’t say “never”. I just wouldn’t count on it any time soon.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Personal speculation:
Like most anime-blurays, Toho is pulling a dirty deed and selling the movies individually for obscene amounts in Japan. This happens with a lot of anime blurays and it's a really bothersome business tactic. Basically they expect the otaku anime market to shell out tons of money for a blu-ray, and people do. The impact that this has on American buyers it that they will either be more expensive, or at least expensive enough to dissuade Japanese people from importing copies from English-speaking companies. Since as far as I can tell the anime trilogy is on Netflix, a streaming platform, they have no reason to release physical media in America and jeopardise Japanese sales.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

[quote="Gigantis"]^Honestly, if we haven't gotten it now, i don't think we'll ever get it.[/quote]
Oh we'll get it, look how long it took to get Godzilla Returns/1985 on disk. It's just going to be long after Netflix eventually drops it/deal runs out and Toho's done squeezing the Japanese otaku market. Which for someone who doesn't have WiFi at home or Netflix just sucks.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote: Oh we'll get it, look how long it took to get Godzilla Returns/1985 on disk.
Totally different situation though.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Oh we'll get it, look how long it took to get Godzilla Returns/1985 on disk.
Totally different situation though.
Almost all situations are unique, but it's still unlikely that the trilogy will never get a physical release. It will eventually. I just wish it was sooner.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I don't understand the point of the whole monster apocalypse if Godzilla Earth, Filius and the Servum were going to end up being the main focus in this trilogy. All these monsters that existed in this universe and we only see a handful of them in cameos during the opening credits of Planet of the Monsters and we never see them or have them referenced ever again. If it was a Godzilla apocalypse with so many Godzillas attacking mankind and only one of them was too strong for humanity to kill and became the ruler of Earth, then I would've been fine with that.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

CrimsonBloodX wrote:I don't understand the point of the whole monster apocalypse if Godzilla Earth, Filius and the Servum were going to end up being the main focus in this trilogy. All these monsters that existed in this universe and we only see a handful of them in cameos during the opening credits of Planet of the Monsters and we never see them or have them referenced ever again. If it was a Godzilla apocalypse with so many Godzillas attacking mankind and only one of them was too strong for humanity to kill and became the ruler of Earth, then I would've been fine with that.
True dat
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

GodzillaFanForLife
Ronin

Post by GodzillaFanForLife »

I like that the anime went in a unique direction and I like the themes but the characters and story was not good. The most interesting character was Metphies and the Houtua were cool but other than that it's not that enjoyable to watch.
Last edited by GodzillaFanForLife on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Here's a full-body pic of the Vultures if anyone wanted it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Here’s how I would’ve done the trilogy.

Movie 1: This movie would be about the Monster Apocalypse.
Movie 2: A fusion of POTM and COTEOB.
Movie 3: Literally just Planet Eater.
For Emperor and Empire!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I just rewatched them recently.

Updated thoughts:

POTM: Still ok...decent set up, awesome cliffhanger ending, but drags in places.

COTEOB: I gotta say it...this might be my new pick for worst Godzilla movie of all time. Not only does it drag, but it spends the whole film promising us Mechagodzilla, and then fails to deliver. Prior to this, I would have said either Godzilla's Revenge or Godzilla Vs. Megalon was the worst, but those films at least have SOMETHING I can latch onto. Megalon at least has that goofy fight at the end that is fun, and Revenge at least has a decent human element with Honda's look at the latchkey kid and how modernization in Japan was impacting the youth. This movie has very little....very very little, and like I said, the ending feels like a broken promise.

PE: Still the best one of the bunch, but still not great. Amazingly, its this weirdo version of Ghidorah that kind of makes the movie for me.

If I had to assign letter grades, I'd be like C, F, and C+
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:06 pm Here's a full-body pic of the Vultures if anyone wanted it.
Kinda looks like a hybrid of Evangelion and a Gundam; The former's 'beastly' and slender design, especially in the limbs, with the latter's aesthetic in the armor and weaponry

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

My favorite part was where Godzilla Earth stood in the same spot for three hours.