Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
SpaceG92
Keizer

Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by SpaceG92 »

Because funneling is a thing.

Discuss Shin Godzilla, the movie, why you hate it or love it here! With all of those live lovely spoilers. BAM!
Current spoilers for the film (thanks to Breakdown!): (Copy Pasta from the Shin Spoiler Thread)
Spoiler:
- Godzilla has multiple forms. The first stage is a tadpole-like creature with large eyes, gills, and lacks arms. The tadpole form also secretes the strange red substance from it's body, which confirms it's presence from several rumors. Eventually this creature develops into a juvenile form much more reminiscent of the classic Godzilla, with arms, an upright posture and full rows of spines down it's back. His third and final stage is the one we see in the trailers. As of now, there is no explanation as to what Godzilla is exactly, or where he came from. With this it is safe to assume that the notorious "Kaiju A and B" are no more than Godzilla's juvenile and infant forms.

- Classic Toho sound effects primarily from the Showa era are heavily used. In addition, Godzilla does not have a new roar, but rather re-uses the '54, late Showa, and '84 roars and growls. The music uses several Ifukube cues, including the classic Godzilla theme and others from the Showa era.

- Godzilla's beam is purple, and when firing his lower jaw splits open like a snake's would. The beam ranges from a precise laser to a gout of fire, according to those who've seen the film and from concept art from the pamphlet. The beam has been explicitly stated to slice apart buildings and such. Using the beam appears to physically drain Godzilla, as after using it his body loses coloration. This also ties into a "defense system" Godzilla has in which he can dense danger and fire his beam from either his dorsal spines/back or from the tip of his tail, potentially allowing him to attack multiple targets at once.

- Godzilla is defeated by some sort of chemical the SDF whips up which somehow reacts with Godzilla's atomic energy (Cadmium?) and causes him to completely freeze/crystallize. Whether or not he is dead is unknown, as there's conflicting accounts from people who've seen it.

- Godzilla's total screen time is conflicted. Some say he maintains a constant presence like the 1954 film and other say it was more akin to the 2014 film. A large sum of the film is board meetings discussing how to deal with Godzilla, very reminiscent of the 1954 and 1984 films. This also ties into the political and social commentary which will be discussed further down.

- After defeating or killing Godzilla, there is a shot of horribly mutated people frozen solid as they attempted to crawl out of Godzilla's flesh. They appear to be skeletal and have Godzilla-like spines on their backs. The shot depicting them is very brief, and it is unknown if these people are the ones who had that strange substance splashed on them by the tadpole, or if these are beings solely created from Godzilla's body.

- The film contains a lot of political commentary regarding the state of Japan in modern times (specifically about US-Japan relations) as well as it's place in the world. Those who've seen it claim that the US is constantly putting pressure on Japan to use nuclear weapons on Godzilla.

Skreeonk's Spoiler Review of Shin Godzilla!
https://skreeonk.com/2016/07/28/shin-sp ... -spoilers/

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Post by godzillafan1954 »

How many people on here have actually seen the film?
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I know a few have - however their posts got buried in the Spoiler Speculation Thread.

PS: Added the mod edit to the op from the Spoiler Discussion Thread to here along with Skreeonk's Review.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Are you going to close the other two threads now? It doesn't make sense (to me) to have a Spoiler Thread, a General Discussion Thread, AND a Spoilerific General Discussion Thread.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Mr. Xeno wrote:Are you going to close the other two threads now? It doesn't make sense (to me) to have a Spoiler Thread, a General Discussion Thread, AND a Spoilerific General Discussion Thread.
Now he probably will! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

godzillafan1954 wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:Are you going to close the other two threads now? It doesn't make sense (to me) to have a Spoiler Thread, a General Discussion Thread, AND a Spoilerific General Discussion Thread.
Oh shit, I shouldn't have said anything! :-x Now we might lose all of those incredible, well rounded, mature, adult, constructive conversations between all those rational members!
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Was on the list, but I kept trying to find a new name for the old thread. I ended up just adding an s to "Spoiler". So much time wasted over a letter. I'll keep the Review/Questions thread alone, since hopefully, we'll see some reviews being posted in there for easy finding. Along with the general discussion thread for non-spoilers for those who wish to spoil the film upon international release in their respective country.

I also merged to "Form Thread" into the now locked, spoiler thread.

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Mr. Xeno wrote:
godzillafan1954 wrote:
Oh shit, I shouldn't have said anything! :-x Now we might lose all of those incredible, well rounded, mature, adult, constructive conversations between all those rational members!
Dude. I hope you know I was joking.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Wait... so what's the difference between this thread and the following thread?

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... start=8500

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I swear this forum is a cesspool of sarcasm and I love it.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Mechagigan wrote:Wait... so what's the difference between this thread and the following thread?

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... start=8500

I thought having a general spoiler discussion thread would be nice and not condemn the Non-spoiler thread with a wall of
Spoiler:
me
every other post.

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

While this isn't a spoiler, I just want to say how shin gojira has inspired me. I know you Guys don't know this, but I'm an actor (not famous, sadly) who loves watching movies and reading/writing books. This movie has inspired me to make a book series off of it! Yes it won't be published, but I'm doing it for fun. I may eventually post it somewhere that regards shin gojira.

Added in 9 minutes 2 seconds:
Can you guys help come up with a name for it?
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Mastergodzilla wrote:While this isn't a spoiler, I just want to say how shin gojira has inspired me. I know you Guys don't know this, but I'm an actor (not famous, sadly) who loves watching movies and reading/writing books. This movie has inspired me to make a book series off of it! Yes it won't be published, but I'm doing it for fun. I may eventually post it somewhere that regards shin gojira.

Added in 9 minutes 2 seconds:
Can you guys help come up with a name for it?
Should probably ask this question somewhere else, mate.

#BotM

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

Yeah I should have. Just don't really know where though. Any suggestions?
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Here's that detailed summary from Reddit

https://m.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comment ... scription/
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

It seems we make things more complicated around here than they should be. I just need a US theatrical release date for this bad boy. Excited to spend my hard earned money to keep Godzilla fandom going
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

So, I have garnered info from some who have seen the film I talk to and a source that was in the know of the film.
So the red goo? Just Godzilla's blood and in some cases, as other posters have pointed out, Godzilla's cellular matter itself is like Sanda's or Gaira's and any piece could reform and make a new Godzilla. So it's like Gvs Biollante or G2000 to an extreme. Godzilla IS NOT absorbing any life forms into himself, yes he's a mysterious amalgamation of sea life (the issue is we aren't totally sure what exactly). He IS, from some people point out, absorbing energy around him (its kinda hard to tell, but that's what some sources are claiming).

The things growing on his tail? They aren't human, most likely they are clones of Godzilla. Turns out there's a definite answer, so here we go folks:

Thing is, from what I have gathered, is that Shin Gojira was initially made with Higuchi and Anno's separate plots and they put them together the best way they could. The final script had to be reworked and alot of that is still unused. From news today that SHIN GOJIRA IS NUMBER 1 AT THE BOX OFFICE, I think we will get a sequel and we can address more of what was planned.

What do you think a sequel would be? From what I can guess and what I gathered I can see a few things:

1. Possibly a new Godzilla growing from the tail and being a more traditional Shodai/Heisei hyrbid.
2. Same Godzilla idea as the previous idea, but it bursts from the carcass of Shin. Turns out his regeneration is picked up but he rarely does have any other sea life left in his geneome. Why? I believe that Godzilla itself has been Shin Gojira, but also not. How so? The life stages and hybridization. Perhaps something absorbed a Godzilla-like creature and its regeneration took over-turning this amalgamation into what the creature is supposed to be.? Perhaps proto G got absorbed by this mass of mutating sea life and headed for land in confusion. Shin wnated on land, unlike a sea creature and attempted to stand . Not like a sea creature. Perhaps this thing absorbed Godzilla and instead of turning into a monster with Godzilla-like features-it turned into a Godzilla that was slowly hijacking the process. So those human skeletons may be said entity's way out. So You Can have your Judas vs Godzilla.

Just my two cents. But now I can see a sequel happen with concepts that didn't make it. 300 pages worth of scrapped script can yield good ideas.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

People who've seen.shin Godzilla

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V7cwJGUgp60
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Yeau a new thread.

Does anyone know the box office for this film so far?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

miguelnuva wrote:Yeau a new thread.

Does anyone know the box office for this film so far?
It opened $8-$9 million. Which is double G14 opening weekend.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.