Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by Jermobooka »

With the announcement of Shin Kamen Rider...should we add a “Shin Series” or “Shin Trilogy” topic to TK and have all the Shin discussions in there??? I dunno, i really loved Shin Gojira and am suuuuper hyped for Shin Ultra and Shin Kamen, so i think it’d be appropriate
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Oh wow, just looked it up. Seems like this "Shin Anthology" is more paying respect to general tokusatsu, than just kaiju media, and I'm ok with that.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:26 am Oh wow, just looked it up. Seems like this "Shin Anthology" is more paying respect to general tokusatsu, than just kaiju media, and I'm ok with that.
Yuuup. At first i thought we’d at most get a Shin Gamera, but now things like Shin Super Sentai are possible. I can’t wait to see what Anno has in store for us.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:26 am Oh wow, just looked it up. Seems like this "Shin Anthology" is more paying respect to general tokusatsu, than just kaiju media, and I'm ok with that.
Yuuup. At first i thought we’d at most get a Shin Gamera, but now things like Shin Super Sentai are possible. I can’t wait to see what Anno has in store for us.
You know shits getting real if we get "Shin Supaidaman"
He Jock it Made of Steel

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:58 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 am
You know shits getting real if we get "Shin Supaidaman"
Dude don't even tempt me with that, that sounds amazing.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

When you have an unpopular opinion, sometimes you tend to get a little standoffish in the larger crowd. That's one reason why I may have come across the way I have in the past discussing this film with you people (as well as GMK). If you had an unpopular opinion about something within any particular fandom, you'd probably feel the same way.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:18 am With the announcement of Shin Kamen Rider...should we add a “Shin Series” or “Shin Trilogy” topic to TK and have all the Shin discussions in there??? I dunno, i really loved Shin Gojira and am suuuuper hyped for Shin Ultra and Shin Kamen, so i think it’d be appropriate
No because Shin Godzilla is worthy of discussion separately from the other Shin movies and can be viewed solely as a Godzilla film. I assume Shin Ultraman will be the same and have a lot to talk about. I think comparisons between the films are inevitable though and comparison threads can be made. We just don't need to hijack the shin thread in order to do that.

Nearly 5 years later, Shin Godzilla is still dear and close to my heart. It's Godzilla vs. Kong and all the new stuff that is coming out that is making me realize that Shin isn't the new kid on the block anymore :(
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:01 am No because Shin Godzilla is worthy of discussion separately from the other Shin movies and can be viewed solely as a Godzilla film. I assume Shin Ultraman will be the same and have a lot to talk about. I think comparisons between the films are inevitable though and comparison threads can be made. We just don't need to hijack the shin thread in order to do that.
Ah, i get it. I assume there’ll also be a comparison thread for Shin Kamen Rider when it comes out too
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:01 am Nearly 5 years later, Shin Godzilla is still dear and close to my heart. It's Godzilla vs. Kong and all the new stuff that is coming out that is making me realize that Shin isn't the new kid on the block anymore :(
Gaaaah, ikr! A lot of the times i forget that Shin Gojira came out 5 years ago. I remember talking obsessively about it and constantly theorizing like it was two days ago!

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

One of the best incarnations in my opinion. I kinda hope we get to see him again one day. The Shin Godzilla continuity is very interesting and still has some mysteries which I feel like should be solved.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

After a few days of mulling it over, Shin Gojira continues to be my favorite Godzilla film and one of my favorite films in general. Sure, i really love GvK, and it’s also up there with Shin...but there’s just so many fantastic things about it. It’s one of those tentpole Godzilla films you know will be remembered and talked about for years to come.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:01 am
Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:18 am With the announcement of Shin Kamen Rider...should we add a “Shin Series” or “Shin Trilogy” topic to TK and have all the Shin discussions in there??? I dunno, i really loved Shin Gojira and am suuuuper hyped for Shin Ultra and Shin Kamen, so i think it’d be appropriate
No because Shin Godzilla is worthy of discussion separately from the other Shin movies and can be viewed solely as a Godzilla film. I assume Shin Ultraman will be the same and have a lot to talk about. I think comparisons between the films are inevitable though and comparison threads can be made. We just don't need to hijack the shin thread in order to do that.

Nearly 5 years later, Shin Godzilla is still dear and close to my heart. It's Godzilla vs. Kong and all the new stuff that is coming out that is making me realize that Shin isn't the new kid on the block anymore :(
I totally get that. I have all this hype for the new Batman movie next year with Pattinson, and the return of Affleck's and Keaton's Batman in Flashpoint, but it keeps reminding me my The Dark Knight hype was 12 years ago!

But Shin might come back. They keep making short videos and rides and thing with him, so it wouldn't surprise me if the first live action Godzilla Toho does this decade is a return to him and that world. I mean, they're doing a lot to keep Shin Godzilla on people's minds still, and it's five years later.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:18 am After a few days of mulling it over, Shin Gojira continues to be my favorite Godzilla film and one of my favorite films in general. Sure, i really love GvK, and it’s also up there with Shin...but there’s just so many fantastic things about it. It’s one of those tentpole Godzilla films you know will be remembered and talked about for years to come.
Honestly, as much as I love Shin (as a movie and a design) its also one of the Goji movies I don't feel needs a sequel either.

It works for what it is - and the ending is incredibly foreboding and honestly bleak when you put it in the context that one day either he'll unfreeze entirely and his fifth forms will drop off of it or his tail will unfreeze just enough to where things are going to get so much worse anyway.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I am damn certain there will be a Shin Godzilla x Shin Ultraman crossover. Whether it be film, ride, cross promotion, or what have you. Shin Godzilla is incredibly popular and successful, and Shin Ultraman is bound to have the same success.

If we do get it, there’s most likely gonna be a Shin Godzilla x Ultraman x Kamen Rider crossover eventually too lol

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

IMO Shin Godzilla is to Godzilla what The Dark Knight is to Batman.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:46 am I am damn certain there will be a Shin Godzilla x Shin Ultraman crossover. Whether it be film, ride, cross promotion, or what have you. Shin Godzilla is incredibly popular and successful, and Shin Ultraman is bound to have the same success.

If we do get it, there’s most likely gonna be a Shin Godzilla x Ultraman x Kamen Rider crossover eventually too lol
Won’t be surprised if that happens.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Mechabrozilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:11 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:18 am After a few days of mulling it over, Shin Gojira continues to be my favorite Godzilla film and one of my favorite films in general. Sure, i really love GvK, and it’s also up there with Shin...but there’s just so many fantastic things about it. It’s one of those tentpole Godzilla films you know will be remembered and talked about for years to come.
Honestly, as much as I love Shin (as a movie and a design) its also one of the Goji movies I don't feel needs a sequel either.

It works for what it is - and the ending is incredibly foreboding and honestly bleak when you put it in the context that one day either he'll unfreeze entirely and his fifth forms will drop off of it or his tail will unfreeze just enough to where things are going to get so much worse anyway.
This is how I feel. Shin is one of my absolute favorite Godzilla movies, and I think should never get a sequel. That isn't to say a sequel would automatically be bad, but no matter how it's executed it would cheapen Shin's mysterious and open ended final shot. The movie is perfection exactly as is.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I guess I'm the odd man out - I've never held mysterious open endings as anything important and would love to have a sequel that follow up on it, rather than just leave it a mystery.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I still in sorta disbelief a sequel hasn’t already been made or announced. Yeah I get why people say there won’t be... but this film was so huge I can’t believe the idea hasn’t been explored .
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:57 pm I still in sorta disbelief a sequel hasn’t already been made or announced. Yeah I get why people say there won’t be... but this film was so huge I can’t believe the idea hasn’t been explored .
I'm thinking we'll hear something soon. GvK is done and a new licensing deal with Legendary's gonna be made, now's a good time to announce something. The only thing that could delay news is the fact Anno has Shin Kamen Rider lined up, and assuming covid doesn't delay him, how quickly Japan goes through preproduction and makes movies, that could come out later half next year, maybe early 2023. So yeah, 2023 is the latest, outer most date we could hear news on a Shin sequel if we're ever going to get one.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:45 am
Cookson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:57 pm I still in sorta disbelief a sequel hasn’t already been made or announced. Yeah I get why people say there won’t be... but this film was so huge I can’t believe the idea hasn’t been explored .
I'm thinking we'll hear something soon. GvK is done and a new licensing deal with Legendary's gonna be made, now's a good time to announce something. The only thing that could delay news is the fact Anno has Shin Kamen Rider lined up, and assuming covid doesn't delay him, how quickly Japan goes through preproduction and makes movies, that could come out later half next year, maybe early 2023. So yeah, 2023 is the latest, outer most date we could hear news on a Shin sequel if we're ever going to get one.
It’s worth mentioning we’re getting a potential cinematic universe, “World of Godzilla” (Yes it was called that in the interview I’m aware). So it’s possible that after Shin Godzilla 2, we may get a shared universe unless the shared universe is focused on Shin, which is unlikely but also possible since Shin Godzilla is loved by Toho. I’m still neutral though.