Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by tbeasley »

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I agree wholeheartedly that SP is something of a spiritual sequel to ShinGoji.
It's Shin Kaiju Shoshingeki!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Cookson wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:56 pm They could always say that freezing Godzilla stopped him from evolving more so the form he’s in is it. Now you just have a pissed off “final” form Godzilla.

They could definitely continue this world if they really wanted. I think we’ll know within a year what the future looks like for Toho live action films.
I mean that would be difficult given the little humanzillas only appear after he is frozen
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:38 pm I get the impression that the ending was scripted the way it was to prevent any sequels. But even if not, I'm not interested in seeing any follow-ups, certainly not of the monster vs. monster variety.

As much as I love many of the later Godzilla movies, the 1954 film never needed a sequel (except from the studio's profit-minded perspective). Let's please not repeat that "mistake" again with Shin and just leave that as its own perfectly self-contained Godzilla remake.
I have to 100% disagree with you here that making a sequel to 1954 was a "mistake". If so it's one I'm thankful they've been constantly repeating for nearly 70 years now. I've loved every era to date even if I haven't loved every film (the anime trilogy and GvK come to mind...). I'm very interested in a follow up. And let's face it, it's easier for you to ignore a sequel and not watch it that it is for me and others to watch a sequel that's never made. So it's typically better to have a sequel than not, since it can't take away from the original and gives some fans more to love while others can just choose to not see it. I mean, it's how I'm going to treat the MonsterVerse from now on, after hating GvK I have no interest in watching another entry in that series ever again because holy crap did I hate, yet even so I'm not saying sequels should be made for the people who would like to see more of...that. And I'll still rewatch 2014 and K:SI fondly despite how horrible I found GvK. Sequels don't ruin things, and can always be ignored.

Added in 2 minutes 6 seconds:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:14 pm
Cookson wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:56 pm They could always say that freezing Godzilla stopped him from evolving more so the form he’s in is it. Now you just have a pissed off “final” form Godzilla.

They could definitely continue this world if they really wanted. I think we’ll know within a year what the future looks like for Toho live action films.
I mean that would be difficult given the little humanzillas only appear after he is frozen
Could say that getting frozen killed off all the humanzillas. Movie could start with him thawing as we see them just break apart into tiny dead pieces easy peasy.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I think honestly the perfect opponent for Shin Godzilla would be Hedorah.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Denis wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:39 am I think honestly the perfect opponent for Shin Godzilla would be Hedorah.
That would be sick. Hedorah is severely underused regardless.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Denis wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:39 am I think honestly the perfect opponent for Shin Godzilla would be Hedorah.
I oddly think Destroyah could work. Have to rework the Oxygen Destroyer origin, but I think it'd work pretty well.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:07 pmAnd let's face it, it's easier for you to ignore a sequel and not watch it that it is for me and others to watch a sequel that's never made.
I don't need to be lectured on this^ while we're discussing a purely hypothetical situation (or, hell, even one that isn't hypothetical). I just don't want a followup to Shin Godzilla, that's my opinion on the matter. And it's not like my wishes on that matter inform Toho's decision to either proceed with one or not. I'm not taking anything away from anyone.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:21 am
Vakanai wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:07 pmAnd let's face it, it's easier for you to ignore a sequel and not watch it that it is for me and others to watch a sequel that's never made.
I don't need to be lectured on this^ while we're discussing a purely hypothetical situation (or, hell, even one that isn't hypothetical). I just don't want a followup to Shin Godzilla, that's my opinion on the matter. And it's not like my wishes on that matter inform Toho's decision to either proceed with one or not. I'm not taking anything away from anyone.
Wasn't trying to lecture, but fair enough. I really, really, really want a sequel to Shin Godzilla, and that's my opinion on the matter. And hopefully Toho will be influenced by all the money they made off of Shin and make a sequel.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Look at the day! Shin Godzilla is now half a decade old.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Oh shit, yeah, it is this masterpiece’s 5th anniversary!

Happy B-Day to the best Godzilla film! :D
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Oh damn, looks like I'm watching it tonight. Maybe celebrate with some soggy noodles and a bottle of water...
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Five years already. Good lord
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

SP wishes it could be this good.

Love you, you big deformed bastard. Happy 5th Anniversary :mrgreen:
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Five years going and still no sequel in sight.. just how it should be!

I'm gonna rewatch it again, just for the sake of it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Hideki Anno is a god amongst men! I love this movie to bits. Easily my favourite Godzilla movie outside MvG and ToMG.
For Emperor and Empire!

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Shin's peak wishes it could be half as good as SP's peak.

Love you still, you freaky lizard thing.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maaaaaan I still vividly remember seeing this in theaters - best theater experience ever, seeing that Toho logo... mmhmmm. Godzilla. Satomi Ishihara.

And now I feel old hahahaha.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:53 pmSatomi Ishihara
The Godzilla babe to end all Godzilla babes.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:53 pm And now I feel old hahahaha.
No, no, no, no, no. If you're old, I'm dead. :lol:
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.