Shin Ultraman General Discussion (spoilers!)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Shin-Ultraman SPOILER THREAD/REVIEW

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Vandarker wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:56 am According to Anno, Toho turned the idea down because they thought it was "too early" to be talking about a sequel and for various other reasons as well. Which is understandable since Anno supposedly pitched the film in 2016 Feb, when Shin Godzilla wasn't even released yet. At the time Toho probably didn't feel 100% confident that the film was going to do well, especially since Shin Godzilla was the first Japanese Godzilla film in almost 12 years.

Anno himself found it rather regrettable that his proposal had been turned down, but he respects Toho's decisions.

The film's working title was "Shin Godzilla Raids Again(シン・ゴジラの逆襲)", and Anno describes it as a "festive monster brawl" type of movie, implying that Godzilla was going to fight another monster in this movie.
So, Shin Anguirus was likely supposed to be a thing.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think its funny how Toho, who kept half-heartedly pumping out Millennium films until they bombed hard, is also the studio that still hasn't done a sequel to the most successful Godzilla film since the mid 60s.

Added in 21 minutes 34 seconds:
From Monster Artack Team on Facebook.
In the first three days of the release of Shin Ultraman, box office revenues earned 934,150,000 yen and welcomed 641,802 moviegoers, making it the #1 live-action Japanese movie of 2022 exceeding the first three day earnings and attendance of Shin Godzilla in 2016. No mistaking, it's an ultra-hit at the box office setting a new Ultraman box office record, previously held by the film, Great Decisive Battle! The Super 8 Ultra Brothers in 2008.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Yeah, the film seems to be crazy well even though the reviews are a bit polarized.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Shin Godzilla did well, but Toho probably didn't think it would do that well. If pitched before it came out, I could see why they passed.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Mon May 16, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

According to comic book review, Shin Ultraman did better in it's opening weekend then Shin Godzilla:
https://www.cbr.com/shin-ultraman-godzi ... vangelion/

We'll see if this holds (longevity in the box office is important in Japan), but I'm happy to see that the film isn't bombing and will most likely lead to continued products. It's also encouraging for non-Japanese markets and distribution. All amazing off the back of a pandemic, and Japan's worst phase of Covid-19 so far.

I have to ask, but isn't Ultraman more popular than Godzilla in various parts of South East Asia? Maybe not more popular, but I know that Ultraman is extremely popular in various places around the world.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:53 pm I have to ask, but isn't Ultraman more popular than Godzilla in various parts of South East Asia? Maybe not more popular, but I know that Ultraman is extremely popular in various places around the world.
Sure is!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:01 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:53 pm I have to ask, but isn't Ultraman more popular than Godzilla in various parts of South East Asia? Maybe not more popular, but I know that Ultraman is extremely popular in various places around the world.
Sure is!
Yeah so I actually think there's potential for this to do as well, if not better, than Shin Godzilla abroad.

I don't see any of this as "competition". I see it as a net positive for the genre for other films in similar circumstances to do well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

I'm very curious if the success of both Shin G and Shin U will make Toho reconsider any direct sequels to Shin G. Frankly, I'm down for one if either Higuchi or Anno are involved. Hopefully, we won't have to wait for Shin Kamen Rider for any news if they are indeed pursuing a sequel.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

phillipw1954 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:11 pm I'm very curious if the success of both Shin G and Shin U will make Toho reconsider any direct sequels to Shin G. Frankly, I'm down for one if either Higuchi or Anno are involved. Hopefully, we won't have to wait for Shin Kamen Rider for any news if they are indeed pursuing a sequel.
I remember someone around here voicing his opinion adamantly against Shin G getting a sequel. He said that he considered the film perfection and a sequel could potentially tarnish everything it accomplished.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon May 16, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 pm
phillipw1954 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:11 pm I'm very curious if the success of both Shin G and Shin U will make Toho reconsider any direct sequels to Shin G. Frankly, I'm down for one if either Higuchi or Anno are involved. Hopefully, we won't have to wait for Shin Kamen Rider for any news if they are indeed pursuing a sequel.
I remember someone around here voicing his opinion against Shin G. He said that he considered the film perfection and a sequel could potentially tarnish everything it accomplished.
That can be said about every film that has ever been made.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 pm
I remember someone around here voicing his opinion against Shin G. He said that he considered the film perfection and a sequel could potentially tarnish everything it accomplished.
If anything, Shin Ultraman's take on "believe this to be a sequel if you want" makes me think that the original is gold no matter that comes after. Sort of like how Godzilla Raids again doesn't detract from Godzill 1954's quality.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

IF a sequel to Shin Godzilla does indeed happen, there's a fair amount of chance that it may be a crossover film between Godzilla and Ultraman (or maybe even Kamen Rider). The reason they couldn't put forth Shin Ultraman as a direct sequel to Shin Godzilla was because of ownership issues (according to the artbook), but things have changed. Toho, Tsuburaya and Toei reportedly reached an agreement in late 2021 when Shin Ultraman's production was beginning to wrap up, which is why they're launching a new collaborative project under the SJHU label. So with the ownership issues settled, maybe we'll get a full on-screen crossover event.

Perhaps we'll get to see Godzilla set Zoffy's head on fire instead of Birdon, who knows. :)
Last edited by Vandarker on Mon May 16, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

My own personal take, is that Toho can distinctly now use Shin in crossovers (Shin Ultraman 2, Some sort of big collaboration, etc...) and possibly make a new Godzilla series (maybe that Yamazaki movie). That, and/or continue Godzilla SP and other animated properties. We might wind up with a scenario, in which we have the "Shinverse", A More Traditional Godzilla film, Godzilla SP/Animated Stuff, and the Monsterverse going on all at once.

I have a really weird feeling where I want Shin Ultraman to continue without Godzilla, and vice versa. However, simultaneously, I do want a big fun collab.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:45 pm My own personal take, is that Toho can distinctly now use Shin in crossovers (Shin Ultraman 2, Some sort of big collaboration, etc...) and possibly make a new Godzilla series (maybe that Yamazaki movie). That, and/or continue Godzilla SP and other animated properties. We might wind up with a scenario, in which we have the "Shinverse", A More Traditional Godzilla film, Godzilla SP/Animated Stuff, and the Monsterverse going on all at once.

I have a really weird feeling where I want Shin Ultraman to continue without Godzilla, and vice versa. However, simultaneously, I do want a big fun collab.
Maybe we can get all of the above. Have solo outings for Shin Ultraman, Shin Godzilla, and Shin Kamen Rider, and then do a crossover film including Shin Evangelion.. then also the monsterverse, animes, and Yamazaki movie that might be a non Godzilla movie.

Added in 1 minute 41 seconds:
Also.. who else is excited to see some spoilery merch for this movie. I know I am!

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Also.. who else is excited to see some spoilery merch for this movie. I know I am!
I want MMS sofubi for those newly designed Ultra Q monsters.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:57 pm Also.. who else is excited to see some spoilery merch for this movie. I know I am!
I just wanna know how they're gonna depict a certain weapon of mass destruction. With all those floating parts, it'd be a miracle to get any good figures of it, let alone a MMS.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

vastatosaurus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:07 pm
OGMechaMothra wrote: Also.. who else is excited to see some spoilery merch for this movie. I know I am!
I want MMS sofubi for those newly designed Ultra Q monsters.
Yes!!!

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

with the success with shin godzilla and now look like shin ultraman is success, and shin kamen rider coming soon. what are the chances of gamera getting the shin treatment or toho decides to make shin godzilla 2, or have Hideaki Anno Shinji Higuchi do another movie similar to shin but with other toho monsters for example mothra, rodan, varan, king caesar, or the gargantuas.

as for shin ultraman 2 (if it happens) i would not mind if they have eleking, red king, gomora, and alien baltan make an appearance

BBally81
Young Farmer

Post by BBally81 »

I'm glad Shin Ultraman is doing well in the box office so far.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:06 pm
OGMechaMothra wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:57 pm Also.. who else is excited to see some spoilery merch for this movie. I know I am!
I just wanna know how they're gonna depict a certain weapon of mass destruction. With all those floating parts, it'd be a miracle to get any good figures of it, let alone a MMS.

Hope they figure it out! I never thought they did anime MG but they figured that out. Lol.