2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
UltramanGoji

Re: 2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

Post by UltramanGoji »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:33 pm
What Apple TV series? I haven't heard of one. Sure you don't mean Netflix's Singular Point series?
How have you not heard about it? Even browsing new posts gives you threads about it. Not trying to insult, just curious.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:42 pm
What Apple TV series? I haven't heard of one. Sure you don't mean Netflix's Singular Point series?
Legendary Pictures is working with Apple TV+ to produce a Live-action series based in the Monsterverse. Haven’t you heard?
Ah, that'd explain it. No I haven't heard, I don't bother with the legendary section of the forum anymore. I'm not interested in anything in the Monsterverse anymore.

Added in 2 minutes 14 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:57 pm
How have you not heard about it? Even browsing new posts gives you threads about it. Not trying to insult, just curious.
I don't browse new posts. I just check out the Reiwa and Media sections and subsections to see if any threads I like has been updated.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:23 pm
Legendary Pictures is working with Apple TV+ to produce a Live-action series based in the Monsterverse. Haven’t you heard?
Ah, that'd explain it. No I haven't heard, I don't bother with the legendary section of the forum anymore. I'm not interested in anything in the Monsterverse anymore.
What if against all odds, it manages to be actually good? If all goes well, it could turn out to be the major saving grace of the Monsterverse, like how The Clone Wars cartoons were with the Star Wars Prequel-era.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:28 pm

What if against all odds, it manages to be actually good? If all goes well, it could turn out to be the major saving grace of the Monsterverse, like how The Clone Wars cartoons were with the Star Wars Prequel-era.
Eh. The Monsterverse already gave me it's saving grace with 2014 and Skull Island, and by giving Toho the needed push to make Shin. But I've no interest or desire to see where it goes from the worst film experience I've ever had. Even if it's good or great it's still building from a place I don't like. I'm not going to bother talking shit about that movie again, just explaining why it's easy for MV news to pass me by unawares. I don't care about it so I don't look where it's discussed.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:45 pm

Eh. The Monsterverse already gave me it's saving grace with 2014 and Skull Island, and by giving Toho the needed push to make Shin. But I've no interest or desire to see where it goes from the worst film experience I've ever had. Even if it's good or great it's still building from a place I don't like. I'm not going to bother talking poop about that movie again, just explaining why it's easy for MV news to pass me by unawares. I don't care about it so I don't look where it's discussed.
Frankly, I have become disillusioned with every Godzilla-related media to come out of Japan since 2016. I guess by your logic, would've you not give the film Logan a chance just because of how much of a bumpy ride the Fox X-men series has been for a long time?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:14 pm

Eh. The Monsterverse already gave me it's saving grace with 2014 and Skull Island, and by giving Toho the needed push to make Shin. But I've no interest or desire to see where it goes from the worst film experience I've ever had. Even if it's good or great it's still building from a place I don't like. I'm not going to bother talking poop about that movie again, just explaining why it's easy for MV news to pass me by unawares. I don't care about it so I don't look where it's discussed.
Frankly, I have become disillusioned with every Godzilla-related media to come out of Japan since 2016. I guess by your logic, would've you not give the film Logan a chance just because of how much of a bumpy ride the Fox X-men series has been for a long time?
Guess we're different folks then, Shin's my favorite Godzilla movie, and while not great I don't mind the anime so much. I'm far from disillusioned with what's come out of Japan, but completely disillusioned with legendary. And no, not really - I actually liked most of the X-Men movies more or less. In fact my least favorite was First Class, and even that was alright. So, it's not similar really, I enjoyed all the prior movies, so makes sense I watched Logan. It's well documented just how much I hated GvK, the only movie I can truly say I hated, so why would I care to follow it? I just have no interest in it, it's not a big deal. I just wish it didn't keep Toho from making their own films so much. Surely you have just completely lost interest in something before.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:41 pm

Guess we're different folks then, Shin's my favorite Godzilla movie, and while not great I don't mind the anime so much. I'm far from disillusioned with what's come out of Japan, but completely disillusioned with legendary. And no, not really - I actually liked most of the X-Men movies more or less. In fact my least favorite was First Class, and even that was alright. So, it's not similar really, I enjoyed all the prior movies, so makes sense I watched Logan. It's well documented just how much I hated GvK, the only movie I can truly say I hated, so why would I care to follow it? I just have no interest in it, it's not a big deal. I just wish it didn't keep Toho from making their own films so much. Surely you have just completely lost interest in something before.
Will you be opposed to Toho using Kong again and having another match-up between him and Godzilla within our lifetime?

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Yup everyone has heard of it by now, just not him.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:41 pm

Will you be opposed to Toho using Kong again and having another match-up between him and Godzilla within our lifetime?
No, I won't be opposed to it. I don't think it'll happen, and even if it does some of the magic will be gone. First time for an iconic modern rematch you waited a lifetime for only happens once, so I'll never be able to get as excited as I was for that film. But at least it's literally impossible for them to make a film I hate that much. Anyways, I'm just keeping to whatever comes out of Japan now.

Added in 5 minutes 34 seconds:
imposterzilla wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:15 am
I mean, it's not really that surprising. Shouldn't be. If you don't engage in that subsection here there's nowhere else it'd have come up.

Anyways yeah, this is probably the answer. Just like last time, Toho's probably just gonna hand off the anniversary project to legendary again.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:51 am

No, I won't be opposed to it. I don't think it'll happen, and even if it does some of the magic will be gone. First time for an iconic modern rematch you waited a lifetime for only happens once, so I'll never be able to get as excited as I was for that film. But at least it's literally impossible for them to make a film I hate that much. Anyways, I'm just keeping to whatever comes out of Japan now.

I mean, it's not really that surprising. Shouldn't be. If you don't engage in that subsection here there's nowhere else it'd have come up.

Anyways yeah, this is probably the answer. Just like last time, Toho's probably just gonna hand off the anniversary project to legendary again.
Except social media such as Twitter and Instagram and Facebook and websites like CBR and trash ones like Screen Rant.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

imposterzilla wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:45 am
Vakanai wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:51 am

Except social media such as Twitter and Instagram and Facebook and websites like CBR and trash ones like Screen Rant.
I don't do Instagram, only follow family on Facebook, and just use Twitter for art. Seriously, it's not that hard. Add a recent tendency to scroll past any picture of legendary Godzilla without reading what it's about and it really shouldn't be a jaw dropper I wouldn't know.

I'm weirdly feeling judged for my internet habits here...

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah guys, this is a little much.

Everyone seems to actually be judging Vakanai for not knowing this is happening, despite him being frank about the reasons why he wouldn't have known about this in the first place. Not every godzilla fan lives and dies on social media. It IS possible to have missed the announcement.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:51 pm
OGMechaMothra wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:13 pm
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:37 pm Don't have major expectations either way. Though I do expect the announcement of something after the hype for Shin Ultraman dies down.
Unless the next film is Shin Ultraman vs Shin Godzilla. 🤔🤔
Won't happen any time soon - Shin Kamen Rider is next. I wouldn't expect any other Shin film news until that's close to release.

Personally hoping that they don't do any crossovers.
While I doubt they'll do it. Shin Kamen Rider comes out next year in March which means production could be done this year. Meaning he would have time to write and film Shin Ultraman vs Shin Godzilla for a summer 2024 to winter 2024 release date.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Historically we've known Godzilla projects are typically developed years ahead. Drafts and scripts get written out well in secrecy years before any actual announcement. Whatever the next Godzilla film is, I guarantee it's already been workshopped heavily.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:51 pm Historically we've known Godzilla projects are typically developed years ahead. Drafts and scripts get written out well in secrecy years before any actual announcement. Whatever the next Godzilla film is, I guarantee it's already been workshopped heavily.
I was under the impression Toho spends a max 2 years working on Godzilla films with longer cycles being special cases.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:16 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:51 pm Historically we've known Godzilla projects are typically developed years ahead. Drafts and scripts get written out well in secrecy years before any actual announcement. Whatever the next Godzilla film is, I guarantee it's already been workshopped heavily.
I was under the impression Toho spends a max 2 years working on Godzilla films with longer cycles being special cases.
Well, at least recently, and it depends what you count as a production cycle. Godzilla SP started production in 2017, with concept art, creators and ideas. Likewise, Shin was clearly started 3 years in advance of it's final release and they already had more ideas of where they wanted the project to go.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:22 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:16 pm
Well, at least recently, and it depends what you count as a production cycle. Godzilla SP started production in 2017, with concept art, creators and ideas. Likewise, Shin was clearly started 3 years in advance of it's final release and they already had more ideas of where they wanted the project to go.
Shin would be one of the expectations. For example we also know RoG took about 4 years of planning. I was manly thinking how they can usually pop out a movie in yearly intervals, so a November 2024 didn't seem impossible to me thinking that way.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I'd like to see Godzilla appear ngl.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:13 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:51 pm
OGMechaMothra wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:13 pm

Unless the next film is Shin Ultraman vs Shin Godzilla. 🤔🤔
Won't happen any time soon - Shin Kamen Rider is next. I wouldn't expect any other Shin film news until that's close to release.

Personally hoping that they don't do any crossovers.
While I doubt they'll do it. Shin Kamen Rider comes out next year in March which means production could be done this year. Meaning he would have time to write and film Shin Ultraman vs Shin Godzilla for a summer 2024 to winter 2024 release date.
God I hope not. I am so done with the obsession with crossovers. I pray that Godzilla and Ultraman just don't ever share a movie.

Added in 1 minute 55 seconds:
If they announce a film, sure. But there's no workshopping it if they're not doing something beyond the anime stuff and short films.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^How would Godzilla crossing over with Ultraman nowadays be any different than consecutively crossing over with Kong, Mothra and Rodan in the Showa era?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.