Goji-iban General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Goji-iban General Discussion Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Seeing as Toho just subbed the first episode of Godziban, and toys of the monsters have started to been released, I figure it's time to give more attention to the series. While goofy, I can't help but love it and I've seen some wilder stuff as the show progresses.

You can watch episode 1 subbed now on Youtube:

What are all your thoughts on episode 1, and Godziban as a whole?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Goji-iban General Discussion Thread

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:39 am Seeing as Toho just subbed the first episode of Godziban, and toys of the monsters have started to been released, I figure it's time to give more attention to the series. While goofy, I can't help but love it and I've seen some wilder stuff as the show progresses.

You can watch episode 1 subbed now on Youtube:

What are all your thoughts on episode 1, and Godziban as a whole?
I do not know - every time I hit play on the video I get an "error occurred" message and it doesn't play. :(

But! I did see it prior without the subs, and while I don't know what's going on? I love it! Yeah, it's a goofy silly dumbed down for real little kids thing, but that's what I love about it. We adults get most of the content these days anyways, if these characters are going to remain legendary and iconic they need to rope in new fans, and that happens when people are young. This is the sort of thing I would have definitely enjoyed in pre-school - I mean I remember making fun of Barney the Dinosaur as a "big" kid because it was cool but my mom assured me that when I was real little I loved the heck out of that purple dinosaur. Now that I'm an even bigger kid I don't make fun of Barney any more and think that sort of thing is good for kids to have - hell, for all I know Barney might've been the first to inspire my lifelong love of dinosaurs, who knows? Maybe Godziban can be that for some other little kids and inspire similar live long love of dinosaurs and kaijus and monsters and such. You never know, but I think only those kids who never grew out of their "everything has to be dark and mature!" phase can't see the value in something like this. Sadly, there's more of those folks than you'd realize (seriously, suggest a preschool aimed show for most properties and just watch how every post after is "No, I don't want that").
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Huh, this is very strange. It was subbed and up for a day. Now they've made the video unavailable and turned the comments off.

What?

Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWENjwsFKNs

What happened?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:12 pm Huh, this is very strange. It was subbed and up for a day. Now they've made the video unavailable and turned the comments off.

What?

Here's the link:

What happened?
Still up for me. Could it have something to do with you being in Japan?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

That's probably it^

Anyways Episode 1 was pretty good and sets the tone for how weird the series is. We get our introduction to the titular brothers, and they do a surprisingly good job at making each of the brothers unique. It's also a nice acknowledgement that the Godzilla franchise has had different "sons of Godzilla" and while separate are still relatively the same. I like the part where Minya is charging up his beam, only to fail horribly and fart. While toilet humor usually isn't my thing, I think it works comedically because the joke is how badly he fails, not that he farts. I hope the rest of it doesn't get excessive. It still also has a "warm feeling" with the Godzilla bros having a fireworks show.

The stuff with Grandpa Hedorah at the end is fantastic. What a great and deep joke.

From what I've seen of the series in Japanese, I really like the series for not being edgy but simultaneously bursting with creativity and interesting spins on the monsters. It reminds me of an "update" of Godzilla Island, using puppets instead of Bandai toys. For all those that have been missing practical effects, while obviously this is a cheap production, it still satisfies that sense in me to see "suits". I think Godziban is a really good move on Toho's part, during the era where what they can and can't do with live action films is a bit ambiguous. It also allows for an interesting mash-up of various Godzilla incarnations, as it melds monsters and characters all across the Godzilla timeline. Should someone find it "annoying" or not like it, it's also the type of thing that's easily ignorable.

I finally have a chance to share this with you all, but a month or two ago I went to Tokyo and there was a Godzilla event. In addition to the suits, they had a big display advertising/showcasing Goji-ban:
Spoiler:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I actually remember seeing pictures of very similar looking puppets from years back. Not sure how they're connected to Godziban, if at all.

Added in 6 minutes :
Oh yeah they're almost positively the same puppets, or at least the same molds. From a children's live show back for Godzilla's 50th anniversary.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/monsterisl ... i-this/amp
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Episode 2 has now been made available in English:

Episode 2 is really strange, because right off the bat they abandon the formula of the Goji bros. Episode 2 is this really weird live action sketch about a woman being dumped by her big and finding Kamatakun.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:12 pm Huh, this is very strange. It was subbed and up for a day. Now they've made the video unavailable and turned the comments off.

What?

Here's the link:

What happened?
That link worked, thanks.
It was cute and fun, although I'm surprised they made it the three Godzilla brothers instead of Godzilla and sons. Seems like an odd choice, but it's not a big deal.
Hope they sub the other episodes as well. Gives me both something Godzilla related and something cute to look forward to, so win-win.

Added in 55 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:46 pm Episode 2 has now been made available in English:

Episode 2 is really strange, because right off the bat they abandon the formula of the Goji bros. Episode 2 is this really weird live action sketch about a woman being dumped by her big and finding Kamatakun.
Well that shows me for not scrolling down further before hitting reply!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

In the middle of watching it now. It is different that is for sure. Now quirky more lighthearted takes on Godzilla aren't anything new but they are pretty rare since the Showa series. However, so far, this seems to have more of a quirky and creative drive to it that has some real potential for something fresh and exciting. Can't wait to finish this episode and the series as of now.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Okay, since the episode recently got translated, I love how Gigan feels like a DBZ villain who wandered into Sesame Street.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

A spoiler of Gigan walking past Mothra larvae
Spoiler:
Last edited by Dinoskell on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Holy sh*t this show is incredible. Nobel prize Godziban, nobel prize.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Uh...wow.

The elder Godzilla brother insisting on the cutesy kun apellation while badassly just taking Gigan’s blows and refusing to indulge him...
Spoiler:
Kinda get the feeling he knows a lot more about the past events implied in the untranslated episodes ahead than most other characters do.

It seems he is perhaps trying to be cutesy and funny intentionally to fight the darkness and sadness of the world.

Its like if Sesame Street had a war orphan as a main character.
Also wow...Baragon and Anguirus playing innocent when asked what happened to Gigan.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaijuboi
Yojimbo

Post by Kaijuboi »

gonna be honest here
not a fan of the human puppets in this besides serizawa
they gave the human puppets the "annoying orange" effect with the mouths
on the other note, the kaiju puppets are very well crafted