GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Re: GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

We have a legitimate Godzilla project with suitmation for the first time since 2004. I have ceased to function.

How come this is more exciting than entire animes and Hollywood films? It shows what the true appeal of the franchise is. At least the visual aesthetic.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:37 pm We have a legitimate Godzilla project with suitmation for the first time since 2004.
It's not the first time. There was Dream Challenge: Godzilla Appears in Sukagawa in 2019 and Godzilla Appears at Godzilla Fest 2020 in 2020 (the same annual event for which the Godzilla vs. Hedorah short is being produced).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While the first one was aired, I don't think it was public/put out there. I believe you had to pay a special online ticket or something to see it. This is different however, as it seems they want to make it easy to watch on YouTube. It's also made by the same group of people.

I wonder if this will be longer.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Moth wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:27 am Holy poop! FinalGoji is back! This gives me a lot of TV tokuatsu vibes in a really good way, especially Ultraman Z. Wonder if Toho is testing the waters for something....
I certainly hope so! I wouldn't even mind if they furthered their partnership with TsuPro... :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

The quallity of this also seems much higher. As well as the scenario it puts forward. Godzilla fighting Hedorah could be a legitimate thing for a Godzilla movie. Godzilla shows up at G-Fest not so much.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Very interesting. Is there anywhere to see the whole short film from 2019 (the one with the ‘54 style suit)? I vaguely remember seeing that preview before once.

This new Hedorah film looks fun. Can’t wait for November!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:52 pm Very interesting. Is there anywhere to see the whole short film from 2019 (the one with the ‘54 style suit)? I vaguely remember seeing that preview before once.

This new Hedorah film looks fun. Can’t wait for November!
Afraid not, the 2019 film is iirc exclusive to the Eiji Tsuburaya museum and has not been released online in any form (unless cam-ripped/pirated which I highly doubt considering how strict Japan is on those sort of things). Honestly would have been great to see it but I can understand the appeal of having it as an "exhibit" short of sorts.

On a different, absolutely can't wait for this short. It's incredible to see both suits so well preserved to the point that they can be used in such a manner again. Plus releasing it on GvH's 50th anniversary is perfect :)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I need the guys behind Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle, to work with these Toho guys, and put together an ongoing Godzilla TV show. Default TV budgets are that of old school movie budgets, so Godzilla is a prime candidate.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

I was recently reminded that is not *technically* the first suitmation Godzilla battle since 2004; the CR pachinko games have filmed new footage using movie suits before, supposedly as recently as 2018 (though I haven't seen any new footage from that one). Here's a fun one from 2010 (which, despite using two Final Wars suits, does not use the FinalGoji suit):

I wonder if the new short will have beam effects like this. It'd be neat to see 2004 Hedorah using eye beams.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:01 pm I was recently reminded that is not *technically* the first suitmation Godzilla battle since 2004; the CR pachinko games have filmed new footage using movie suits before, supposedly as recently as 2018 (though I haven't seen any new footage from that one). Here's a fun one from 2010 (which, despite using two Final Wars suits, does not use the FinalGoji suit):

I wonder if the new short will have beam effects like this. It'd be neat to see 2004 Hedorah using eye beams.
I was thinking of the pachinko stuff. Kinda crazy to see those suits in action. With that though, it would be really easy to imagine a live action TV show similar to Ultraman and whatnot. All there needs to be is decent plots, and we got gold.

I imagine that Hedorah will use sulfuric mist and maybe the eye beams. IMO it would be a tad disappointing if Hedorah doesn't have any fun or special abilities.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:44 amSimilar to the recent ride, Godziban and SP, this feels like another “how do we make Japanese Godzilla content without involving or stepping on Legendary’s toes”.
I wish they'd just step on Legendary's toes already and not give a skreeonk and go back to making their own movies whenever they feel like it, but wanting some Goji content I can actually enjoy. Legendary doesn't seem interested in making a movie I want to watch any more, the anime is...very dull, long, and seems more interest in philosophical navel gazing (Trilogy) or sci-fi physics babble (SP). Short films are kind of a cold comfort to getting full films I might actually like again, but I'll take cold comfort over no comfort. At least with these little videos of the ride or short films like this I can still enjoy new Godzilla content in at least some small capacity. It's weird to be in an age of tons of Godzilla content and not being happy with most of it, but that's just where I am now. But yeah, this looks great and I'll take what little good I can from this franchise right now.

Honestly surprised there's not more discussion for this short, kind of thought this news would blow up around here.

Added in 5 minutes 9 seconds:
imposterzilla wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:04 pm
Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:40 pm
Moth wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:13 am I dunno about you, but Gigan would be neat to see too.
The description on the trailer notes the 50th anniversary of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, so it's possible we'd see Gigan in a potential 2022 Godzilla Fest video.
Don't we have G vs G2 to.look forward to?
We do indeed! It's nice to be getting so many different little Godzilla treats.

Added in 2 minutes 55 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:35 pm I feel like the GFW suit is a heavily modified/fixed version of the old one. The head looks slightly different, and the arms feel a bit more bulky.
I could be wrong, but the head and neck here seems more rigid than what I remember watching Final Wars. Or maybe it's been so long since I've watched it I'm just caught off guard by the design now.

Added in 7 minutes 7 seconds:
Shenanigans wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:01 pm I was recently reminded that is not *technically* the first suitmation Godzilla battle since 2004; the CR pachinko games have filmed new footage using movie suits before, supposedly as recently as 2018 (though I haven't seen any new footage from that one). Here's a fun one from 2010 (which, despite using two Final Wars suits, does not use the FinalGoji suit):

I really wish all those Pachinko videos were available and all in one long video or on a playlist so we'd be sure we got them all. I kind of find it hard trying to find, sort through, and know what it is with this kind of stuff since I can't read Japanese.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

On Twitter there is a 50th anniversary Gigan logo foreshadowed.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The short was decent. Just as you’d expect it. Hedorah wasn’t some super monster, but it definitely wasn’t a pushover and got to utilize some of its abilities. The entire thing was a strange mix of GFW and Godzilla vs Hedorah. Considering this is a free short, I thought they did fantastic within the limitations they had. Even with some simple stuff, they managed to showcase some creativity in the true spirit of tokkasatsu. I definitely see some potential of a Godzilla TV series now.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is this video on Youtube for a limited time?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Thanks for posting it^^

I edited it so it’s also on the first page.
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:22 am Is this video on Youtube for a limited time?
It would be stupid for them to not keep it up indefinitely, but on the off chance it isn’t, people should save and download it. I imagine a few people have already done that.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:34 am Thanks for posting it^^

I edited it so it’s also on the first page.
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:22 am Is this video on Youtube for a limited time?
It would be stupid for them to not keep it up indefinitely, but on the off chance it isn’t, people should save and download it. I imagine a few people have already done that.
How would you feel in the near future if Toho made a full blown Godzilla TV show using suitmation?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:32 am How would you feel in the near future if Toho made a full blown Godzilla TV show using suitmation?
I'd appreciate it for keeping the medium alive other than the Ultraman Franchise and fan-related projects. Beyond that, I really don't know.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Nice little 5 minute short. Was really cool seeing Hedorah utilized longer. I will say I’m not 100% sure about this style being used again as THE way to make G films. As far as a tv show in this style… they’d really have to utilize even better sfx mixed with cgi compared to what was shown here.

Regardless this was a fun treat. Now we await an official announcement on the next Godzilla project.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Holy poop that final shot was cool.

A nice little 67th anniversary present overall!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!