Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by GigaBowserG »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:55 pm I have a question: does anyone know where I can find lyrics for the chorus bits in Godzilla's theme from SP?
This is something I keep forgetting to research. Whatever it is they're singing, it's not Japanese, is it?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:34 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:55 pm I have a question: does anyone know where I can find lyrics for the chorus bits in Godzilla's theme from SP?
This is something I keep forgetting to research. Whatever it is they're singing, it's not Japanese, is it?
I thought I heard 'ganbare' but I'm probably wrong about that.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Somewhere in the guidebook. I'm pretty sure LSDJ posted it here once.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:02 pm
Somewhere in the guidebook. I'm pretty sure LSDJ posted it here once.
Got a link of where he posted it?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:29 am Come on you know you want it.

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/ ... 60128?s=19
Man, I hated that thing. It constantly clashed with the tone of the show and really took me out of several moments.

It was even worse when they uploaded it into Jet Jaguar... :freak:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

So, I've watched the first season of Godzilla: SP twice thus far. The first time through, I wasn't thrilled because of the plotholes and lack of explanation. However, my second time through, it became apparent that that is the point of the show: unanswered questions. No matter what the main characters do, the answers are always (seemingly) out of reach. I thought it was semi-thought provoking.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

EternalMothra wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:31 am So, I've watched the first season of Godzilla: SP twice thus far. The first time through, I wasn't thrilled because of the plotholes and lack of explanation. However, my second time through, it became apparent that that is the point of the show: unanswered questions. No matter what the main characters do, the answers are always (seemingly) out of reach. I thought it was semi-thought provoking.
Great observation! I love puzzles and figuring out things! Now that I read this, I realize the thought provoking aspect of GSP is part of what I love about it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I dunno. The only thoughts that Singular Point provoked out of me were along the lines of, “Why the hell did they choose to deliver this exposition though long sequence of rapid-fire text messages?”

Whatever the show intended, it was horrible at delivering information to its audience in interesting ways.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

My google-fu and youtube-fu is weak - is there a clip of all the Godzilla scenes out there? Don't want to rewatch this just for the 5 minutes of Goji being Goji.

I actually liked the anime, mostly, just not the type to rewatch series, and there wasn't enough Godzilla.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

JessIAm wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:19 am
EternalMothra wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:31 am So, I've watched the first season of Godzilla: SP twice thus far. The first time through, I wasn't thrilled because of the plotholes and lack of explanation. However, my second time through, it became apparent that that is the point of the show: unanswered questions. No matter what the main characters do, the answers are always (seemingly) out of reach. I thought it was semi-thought provoking.
Great observation! I love puzzles and figuring out things! Now that I read this, I realize the thought provoking aspect of GSP is part of what I love about it.
Sure… puzzles and figuring things out is great… problem is the explanation is EXTREMELY difficult to understand what they’re giving us. Even after being told what’s happening I still don’t quite get it. This is from a guy who’s favorite show of all time is LOST btw… a show full of puzzles
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeahhhh see my thing is that it's different when you have to wade through several hours of a tv show to get to Godzilla being Godzilla compared to the two-ish hours of a film. Normally Godzilla's screentime is never an issue for me, but here I was genuinely like "Hurry up now, let me see Godzilla" and then his scenes were quick and a bit lackluster. Jet Jaguar's still the highlight of the show for me. Guys like Anguirus & Manda were there as much as they were in Final Wars.

Maybe SP was imagined by Ichiro during his college years after he took a physics class, where a b*stard named Salunga harassed him. That explains why he stood around a lot and was impaled three times.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Cookson wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:00 pm
Sure… puzzles and figuring things out is great… problem is the explanation is EXTREMELY difficult to understand what they’re giving us. Even after being told what’s happening I still don’t quite get it. This is from a guy who’s favorite show of all time is LOST btw… a show full of puzzles
I think all they needed was something that said:

1) Normal chemistry and physics don't allow Kaiju.
2) The red dust isn't like normal chemistry because it bends time and space to do things normal chemistry can't.
3) The red dust, which is archetype phase 1, allows normally impossible chemistry to occur in our universe.
4) The impossible chemistry of red dust allows Kaiju to exist in our world.
5) The Kaiju are trying to recreate in our world, the chemistry that supports them.
6) It's like a swarm of locusts, but instead of eating all the plants in sight, they are producing and subsisting off the red dust to change the chemistry of our world.
7) The Catastrophe is : Our world ultimately can't support Kaiju and the red dust Kaiju rely on. Just having red dust, or anything based on it, in our universe will ultimately destroy our reality.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

AKA, nothing more than a 13 episode essay on why kaiju can't exist in real life...

You know, you never see this shit with other sci-fi properties. Imagine a Star Wars TV show dedicated to explaining to the audience why lightsabers are impossible.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Spuro wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:12 am AKA, nothing more than a 13 episode essay on why kaiju can't exist in real life...

You know, you never see this poop with other sci-fi properties. Imagine a Star Wars TV show dedicated to explaining to the audience why lightsabers are impossible.
Singular point felt like Evangelion without the religion and mental drama to me.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

The Calico
Ronin

Post by The Calico »

Like anything else, a more physics-based approach can be done right if handled properly. For me, GSP mostly succeeds, although I can understand if others disagree.

I don't think that Star Wars is a fair example. It takes place in a world very different from ours, so we're not meant to question its impossibilities, whereas GSP is meant to be closer to our reality.

GSP reminds me more of Jurassic Park. Both try to stand out from other giant monster stories by presenting the creatures with a pseudo-scientific plausibility, and that makes up a large part of their appeal.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Yeah, Star Wars is more of a fantasy than sci-fi. The technical stuff takes a backseat.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Most problems can probably be attributed to Enjo. Apparently his writing can be extremely dense and hard to follow for layman. I honestly don't care as long as I can get the basic gist of it.

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

Cookson wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:00 pm
Thanks, Jess, by the way!

For me, the central issue was in the character development. The two primary characters are clearly bound by their scientific expertise, yet, that isn't expounded on at all. I feel like if we had that explanation, things would have been far more clear.