A Godzilla Anime Anthology

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

A Godzilla Anime Anthology

Post by LegendZilla »

Back in 2003, The Matrix franchise saw the release of The Animatrix. For those of you who don't know, it was an direct-to-video anthology of multiple animated shorts produced (mostly) in Japan, each helmed by a different leading director and/or studio in the animation industry. Ever since, multiple other franchises have done the same thing with similar projects over the years. Examples include Batman Gotham Knight and the newly-released Star Wars Visions just to name a few. I am wondering if the Godzilla franchise could be ripe for such a project?

I think it would be beneficial for a franchise long-since burned out with reboots, because you can have multiple different artist's takes on Godzilla for the price of one. Do you think it could be a good idea? If so, What animators and/or studios do you think would be best-fitted for handling Godzilla? As always, feedback will be appreciated.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: A Godzilla Anime Anthology

Post by Vakanai »

The anime trilogy wasn't great, the anime series wasn't great (step up above the trilogy in quality, but far far far far too little Godzilla). So yeah, sure, an anime anthology might be alright - with multiple different creators doing their own take, it ups the odds that finally somebody will get Godzilla in anime done right, even if it is for just one short film in an anthology. I need a good Godzilla anime dammit, I can't believe they've fumbled this property twice now! I mean, there's stuff from both the trilogy and series I liked (Godzilla Earth's intro at the end of the first film, Anguirus in the anime), but over all they've been kind of disappointing. Not the worst Godzilla content, but they feel like such missed opportunities. If an anthology can give us just one out of multiple takes that actually works satisfactorily at this point it'd be worth it.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Over the past few years, the Godzilla IDW run has had a lot of great little anthology stories, from Rage Across Time, to Godzilla in Hell, Godzilla Legends, and now Godzilla Rivals. I could see something like this working/being interesting, either as an anime series or a full on anthology film. There would be a lot of potential to include monsters that don't get much emphasis in new scenarios, and should they want to there could be some overarching connective tissue. Wouldn't be against it and could be fun.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Hey, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I'd be on board.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I would be completely on board for a Godzilla anthology.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'd love to see something like this. Heck, you'd might even get to see some continuations of previous storylines. Meister Titano episode, maybe?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:02 pm I'd love to see something like this. Heck, you'd might even get to see some continuations of previous storylines. Meister Titano episode, maybe?
I'm not really sure how you'd continue Titanosaurus' storyline - Titanosaurus himself was a peace loving dinosaur when not mind controlled and Mechagodzilla was destroyed (sorry if Meister Titano was a reference to something else).

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:43 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:02 pm I'd love to see something like this. Heck, you'd might even get to see some continuations of previous storylines. Meister Titano episode, maybe?
I'm not really sure how you'd continue Titanosaurus' storyline - Titanosaurus himself was a peace loving dinosaur when not mind controlled and Mechagodzilla was destroyed (sorry if Meister Titano was a reference to something else).
The screenwriter of ToMG wrote a short continuation story a couple years back where Titano was resurrected as a robot 100 years later. From what I've heard, it's not too action-oriented but really good.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:26 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:43 pm
The screenwriter of ToMG wrote a short continuation story a couple years back where Titano was resurrected as a robot 100 years later. From what I've heard, it's not too action-oriented but really good.
So a MechaTitanosaurus? That's ridiculous and totally awesome. I never knew I wanted that until now. :D

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Pitch: Godzilla series that seems like an anthology but the final few episodes do some dimensional bs and tie everything together for an explosive conclusion