How will you feel about a Godzilla Vs Rodan film?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Voyager
Keizer

Re: How will you feel about a Godzilla Vs Rodan film?

Post by Voyager »

Uh… Rodan, yes!

I want a huge, threatening, Rodan who can go pound for pound with Godzilla physically. So basically a meaner Showa Rodan. I want it to be a large, imposing force that really puts pressure on our human cast but also Godzilla.
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:01 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:25 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:20 am ^You're forgetting that Ultima also multi-curbstomps a few Mandas as well.
Of course I'm forgetting - the Godzilla scenes were all so short, unimportant to the story, often visibly obscured, and clearly such an after thought it's hard not to forget what little he did. I liked the anime, but Godzilla didn't deserve to be in the title. It should've been called Jet Jaguar: Singular Point (featuring Rodan and Anguirus!).
I strongly disagree with a lot of this, but respect your opinion nonetheless.
You were happy with Godzilla's screen time in SP? I respect your opinion as well, but I'll never not be a little disappointed on that front with this anime. It just left a lot for me to desire as a Godzilla fan. Still kind of enjoyed the anime overall though.

Added in 3 minutes 7 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:24 pm Uh… Rodan, yes!

I want a huge, threatening, Rodan who can go pound for pound with Godzilla physically. So basically a meaner Showa Rodan. I want it to be a large, imposing force that really puts pressure on our human cast but also Godzilla.
I think that'd be better than the beam suggestions others have said really, going for a more physical monster. Have him peck, bite, and claw a lot would be great to see.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

It would be interesting, a kaiju usually being a side attraction after his debut film to being the main star alongside Godzilla. I think I'd want to see it just to see how it would be tackled.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's an idea as for Rodan's appearance in a theoretical film : Assuming they go the '56 route with Rodan by including a mated pair of said kaiju, why not make them sexually dimorphic so that each can stand out? I imagine that the male will have 3 horns protruding from behind his skull as with 1993, while his mate will have the traditional 2 horns. Also, I think that the male should be more vibrantly colored than the female. To top it all off, perhaps a third Rodan could show up, precisely their offspring.

Also, would any of you care to speculate as to what the human story of the film could be? I won't mind seeing a family dynamic of a father, mother and son and/or daughter. It could act as a parallel to the family of Rodans. I think maybe the mother could be the one in the army dealing with kaiju, like Iruma from Ultraman Tiga and Sayuri Tachibana in Ultraman X. The father will fill in a civilian role and perhaps have a strained relationship with his wife, both struggling to maintain their marriage. It does not have to be used for this movie in particular, but I'm just giving a suggestion.

And now for additional plot elements. As for cities I think should get smashed, I would like to see both kaiju attack Tokyo and Fukuoka on their own accords, only have Godzilla attack the former and Rodan attack the latter. Just thought I'd get a little creative by making a reversal of what both did in their respective debut films. Plus, Rodan's never gotten a solo Tokyo rampage before and I think he deserves one. Both kaiju will have their first encounter on the Island of Shikoku, then the climax can take place in Kagoshima, a city famous for having a huge volcanic island right off of its waters.

Heck, I think that an event that could trigger the Rodans' activity is multiple volcanoes throughout the Japanese archipelago suddenly erupt one after another. Such phenomena will no doubt awaken Godzilla from a slumber and I think we all know what he's like when woken up abruptly from a nap. I imagine Godzilla being defeated by falling into the crater of the volcano like in '84. Anyways, that's all I have for now until I can come up with more suggestions.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly, i'd prefer if there was one adult Rodan, but maybe he could still be the sole father of a son/daughter, who he's trying to protect. Maybe they can get captured ala Gorgo, and the adult Rodan ends up becoming the main threat of the movie because he's trashing cities trying to find his kid. Not sure how Godzilla can really work in this specific scenario though, at least without making him feel forced into it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Since volcanism played an important role in the original 1956 Rodan movie, I think it would make sense for the same to be applied in a movie like this too. Maybe the plot could involve experimental Geothermal-powered Fusion reactors established across Japan, namely the areas with active volcanos.

However, an accident causes an nuclear energy surge to go down into the Earth's mantle, which of course triggers a series of Earthquakes. Said earthquakes end up awakening both Godzilla and Rodan. The two kaiju are both quick to come after the fusion reactors to consume their energy, soon crossing paths and subsequently fighting over them.

That's my pitch for the basic plot of the film. Do any of you like it? I will like to hear your own ideas as well. ;)
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:09 pm
Also, for the first time ever, I personally think Rodan should be made taller than Godzilla.
I am not sure if it was the result of angles, but to me Rodan did seem ever-so-slightly taller than Goji in the Showa era.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:09 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:09 pm
Also, for the first time ever, I personally think Rodan should be made taller than Godzilla.
I am not sure if it was the result of angles, but to me Rodan did seem ever-so-slightly taller than Goji in the Showa era.
I believe he was taller - I mean, both suits had to accommodate actors who were of a similar size, plus Rodan has those horns, so naturally just from suit limitations he probably was taller thanks to the horns.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:41 pm While I agree that Rodan needs some buffs, I'm actually against him getting a beam again. Beams seem like the lazy upgrade just copying what Godzilla's got. I would prefer to see any other buff over another beam. At some point other monsters need to be shown as a threat to Godzilla without resorting to needing a beam.
You do realize that Rodan had a breath attack far back as 1956 right? If anything, his uranium heat beam from '93 was an updated version of just that.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:45 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:41 pm While I agree that Rodan needs some buffs, I'm actually against him getting a beam again. Beams seem like the lazy upgrade just copying what Godzilla's got. I would prefer to see any other buff over another beam. At some point other monsters need to be shown as a threat to Godzilla without resorting to needing a beam.
You do realize that Rodan had a breath attack far back as 1956 right? If anything, his uranium heat beam from '93 was an updated version of just that.
Doesn't matter, breath attack is not the same as a beam. Give him fire breath like a dragon if you must, just no beam.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:45 pm
The puppet in 1956 literally just had a mist coming out of its mouth that wasn't shown to do anything on film.

Fire Rodan having a beam is just Kawakita being Kawakita.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:49 am Fire Rodan having a beam is just Kawakita being Kawakita.
Great quote. Love that man. RIP.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:49 am
The puppet in 1956 literally just had a mist coming out of its mouth that wasn't shown to do anything on film.

You make it sound like it wasn't Toho's intention to give Rodan a breath attack in '56.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:39 pm

You make it sound like it wasn't Toho's intention to give Rodan a breath attack in '56.
But is it really a breath "attack" if it doesn't actually do anything?

As far as I'm concerned - Fire Rodan excepted - Rodan doesn't and shouldn't have a breath weapon.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:12 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:39 pm

But is it really a breath "attack" if it doesn't actually do anything?

As far as I'm concerned - Fire Rodan excepted - Rodan doesn't and shouldn't have a breath weapon.

I'm going to agree with this. And to further add to the point, while they were going to have Rodan with an atomic breath, the filmmakers realized that was making him too much like Godzilla. That's why they didn't finish the effect and canonically he's not shooting a breath weapon.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:18 pm
I'm going to agree with this. And to further add to the point, while they were going to have Rodan with an atomic breath, the filmmakers realized that was making him too much like Godzilla. That's why they didn't finish the effect and canonically he's not shooting a breath weapon.
If Rodan can't have his own atomic breath attack, than I guess no kaiju other than Godzilla should.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:28 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:18 pm
If Rodan can't have his own atomic breath attack, than I guess no kaiju other than Godzilla should.
1. This was early in the toho sci fi movie series
2. He already has a variety of abilities such as hurricane winds, sonic booms, spiked chest for raming, razor tipped wings (used in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2), now magma blood and cooling magma armor attached to him that adds more variation for his flying abilities. Heck they could have him make a fire lava tornado by having Rodan flying in a circle really fast to expand his abilities.
3. Heisei Rodan was considered the worst Rodan for a long time in the fandom because of the added beam and the stiff puppet work.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Rodan having a beam is gimmicky and tacky.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:03 pm Heck they could have him make a fire lava tornado by having Rodan flying in a circle really fast to expand his abilities.
You know what, that's actually a pretty cool idea. Maybe Rodan and his mate could generate a lava tornado to encircle Godzuilla and use to to throw him down a volcano.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.