When will Toho make another live action Godzilla film? Or will they?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: When will Toho make another live action Godzilla film? Or will they?

Post by Vakanai »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:55 am My rough estimation is around November this year but more likely next year but all I can say is that I'm exponentially more excited about a new Toho film than anything else.
Same. Not a surprise, my feelings on recent Legendary offerings is well known here. So kaiju films from Toho is more exciting by default, especially since they've become more experimental. Although a few non-Toho kaiju films have me excited, mainly that one where a Godzilla-like corpse might explode and Japan has to find some way to handle the body, that has my interest. But ultimately Toho is still the master.
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:54 am If Toho makes another Godzilla film and have him fight a new monster, It's bound to be a virus-creature given the time we're in.
I'd be interested in that, if done well. I could see how done right it could be very good. Found the concept interesting in Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, but it was underutilized there. There's actually an upcoming kaiju low budget corona inspired film, not sure how good it will be, think it's just a parody film.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:41 pm
I'd be interested in that, if done well. I could see how done right it could be very good. Found the concept interesting in Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, but it was underutilized there. There's actually an upcoming kaiju low budget corona inspired film, not sure how good it will be, think it's just a parody film.
I do not recall anything virus-related in TBF20K.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:43 pm
I do not recall anything virus-related in TBF20K.
Not surprising - I wasn't lying when I said it was "underutilized" - it was more of a tell not show thing. Basically it amounted to a few lines largely to justify not bombing the Rhedsaurus in the finale, hence the whole sniping him at the roller coaster on Coney Island or whatever (I'm not a New Yorker). But yeah, it was mentioned - either that or radiation of some kind but I think that's the excuse they used in The Behemoth instead (weird, as radiation would make more sense in TBF20KF, but I'm almost sure it was virus here and radiation Behemoth...might need to rewatch).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I still would love a film that connects to only Godzilla and Return of Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:59 pm I still would love a film that connects to only Godzilla and Return of Godzilla.
We had one like that in '89.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:24 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:59 pm I still would love a film that connects to only Godzilla and Return of Godzilla.
We had one like that in '89.
Godzilla vs Biollante is in the same boat as Godzilla Raids Again they are the second movies in series.

I would like to see an unofficial Godzilla solo trilogy.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Although a few non-Toho kaiju films have me excited, mainly that one where a Godzilla-like corpse might explode and Japan has to find some way to handle the body, that has my interest.
Have we heard any more about that one? I'm pretty excited as well
He Jock it Made of Steel

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:44 pm
Although a few non-Toho kaiju films have me excited, mainly that one where a Godzilla-like corpse might explode and Japan has to find some way to handle the body, that has my interest.
Have we heard any more about that one? I'm pretty excited as well
Not since the teaser trailer dropped I think? But I haven't really looked to hard into it, just keeping up with what people say here and checking the wikizilla page. I expect we'll see more closer to release (covid permitting).

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Ummm... there was something wonderful going on a couple of years ago. It was called "World of Godzilla" and it kept all the fans of japanese G-moives alive.
I hope there will be an announcement in 2022 and also the start of pre-production. Toho waited long enough now. My lifetime is limited damit :/
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Gailah 1966 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:57 am Ummm... there something wonderful going on a couple of years ago. It was called "World of Godzilla" and it kept all the fans of japanese G-moives alive.
World of Godzilla isn't a film franchise, it's just Toho's name for Godzilla marketing stuff.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gailah 1966 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:57 am Ummm... there was something wonderful going on a couple of years ago. It was called "World of Godzilla" and it kept all the fans of japanese G-moives alive.
I hope there will be an announcement in 2022 and also the start of pre-production. Toho waited long enough now. My lifetime is limited damit :/
Like Gigantis said, that's a marketing initiative, not a planned cinematic universe. It caused a lot of false hope cause of an early misunderstanding.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

That´s right. Toho stated that they wanted to launch thier own cinetmatic universe. They did comparisons to the marvel CU. I mean it doesen´t really matter how they call it and if some people got it wrong. The statement was definately there.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

World of Godzilla misinformation, stickied to the top of this forum.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gailah 1966 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:07 am That´s right. Toho stated that they wanted to launch thier own cinetmatic universe. They did comparisons to the marvel CU. I mean it doesen´t really matter how they call it and if some people got it wrong. The statement was definately there.
Toho stated they talked about it - that they had explored the idea. That's not the same as them saying they decided they wanted to, and it's far from confirmation that they plan to. That's a hugely important distinction, so saying it doesn't matter what it's called and that it's okay to attach the notion of a CU to "World of Godzilla" is to spread misinformation that a cinematic universe is incoming. It might be, it might not be, it was only discussed, and calling a purely theoretical cinematic universe that might not happen by the same name as a real and current marketing push that is happening now only serves to cause confusion.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

I think they'll start giving us tidbits of info in 2022 when the GvK hype has died down.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I was of the opinion that they should have jumped all over the Shin Godzilla success and struck while the iron was hot, and announced a direct sequel/sequels to that film years ago.

Now...I am kind of leaning more in the direction of Toho's next live action Godzilla film being another re-launch. Perhaps something designed from the outset to be a multi-part story.

Heck, maybe they could go weird and do a selective continuity again, give us a new direct sequel to Return of Godzilla or Godzilla vs Biollante...the idea of Godzilla 1954 getting a follow up 30 years later, and then RoG/GvBio getting a follow up 30-40 years later....it could create a cool kind of rhythm of Godzilla stories with DECADES in between them. I doubt very much they will do it.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 am Heck, maybe they could go weird and do a selective continuity again, give us a new direct sequel to Return of Godzilla or Godzilla vs Biollante...the idea of Godzilla 1954 getting a follow up 30 years later, and then RoG/GvBio getting a follow up 30-40 years later....it could create a cool kind of rhythm of Godzilla stories with DECADES in between them. I doubt very much they will do it.
^This.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 am I was of the opinion that they should have jumped all over the Shin Godzilla success and struck while the iron was hot, and announced a direct sequel/sequels to that film years ago.
I think Toho is hesitant to do a direct follow-up to Shin Godzilla without Anno's involvement.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:44 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 am I was of the opinion that they should have jumped all over the Shin Godzilla success and struck while the iron was hot, and announced a direct sequel/sequels to that film years ago.
I think Toho is hesitant to do a direct follow-up to Shin Godzilla without Anno's involvement.
I get that, I’m just still absolutely in shock(not really) that they never really pushed to capitalize on Shin Godzilla. Like they have with all the merchandise, but a sequel that could make millions seems kinda odd to not do.

Anyway, this Godzilla vs Hedorah short film was announced so that’s something.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer