How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:51 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:26 pm How would you feel if they gave Mothra a similar arc to Liu Kang in the recent Mortal Kombat games? By that I mean a beacon of virtue falling to the dark side. I know it will be controversial with many, But I won't be opposed to it. You can argue that Battra already fills the niche of a dark version of Mothra, but I am thinking Mothra herself going down the path of darkness and corruption.
That doesn’t really sit right with me. To me, Mothra is a beacon of hope, incorruptible in resolve, soul and heart.
When that happens with any given character, You can always have a redemption arc.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:26 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:09 pm Rodan as an evolving creature would be totally rad. Maybe have him start out as some small lizard-like creature with flaps of skin on his limbs that he uses to glide from trees; and then as time goes on his forelimbs become wings and he evolves into a much larger, more Pteranodon-like form capable of fighting smaller Kaiju. Then he takes on a somewhat intermediate form where he starts to gain more classic "Rodan" traits—and then later he finally stands upright and turns into the Rodan we know and love. :Rodan56:
So basically, Shin Rodan.

Added in 1 hour 30 minutes 48 seconds:
How would you feel if they gave Mothra a similar arc to Liu Kang in the recent Mortal Kombat games? By that I mean a beacon of virtue falling to the dark side. I know it will be controversial with many, But I won't be opposed to it. You can argue that Battra already fills the niche of a dark version of Mothra, but I am thinking Mothra herself going down the path of darkness and corruption.
I think that would be far more brilliantly weaved as a Battra origin story, honestly.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:37 pm I think that would be far more brilliantly weaved as a Battra origin story, honestly.
Would you be opposed to Battra having to raise a pair of Mothra larvae after their mother dies?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:41 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:37 pm I think that would be far more brilliantly weaved as a Battra origin story, honestly.
Would you be opposed to Battra having to raise a pair of Mothra larvae after their mother dies?
I would not. That would be quite the unique tale to tell!
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

One might call me a kaiju conservative. I don’t like straying too far from the traditional portrayals.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:01 pm One might call me a kaiju conservative. I don’t like straying too far from the traditional portrayals.
By “traditional portrayals”, does that include form and function?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:18 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:01 pm One might call me a kaiju conservative. I don’t like straying too far from the traditional portrayals.
I mean, I’d like the kaiju to at least resemble their original forms.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:40 pm
I’m the same. However for me, it takes a little more than just that I must say.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:45 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:40 pm

I’m the same. However for me, it takes a little more than just that I must say.
And you're the one proposing that Mothra become evil? :P

I suppose I could live with an experiment like that, but I don't want to see it. If we're going the evil/hostile moth route, just bring back Battra. I've been saying for years that the poor guy deserves a second chance.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Nahhhhhh, no evil Mothra for me. Keep her a positive force, I don't get the trend of having famous characters that represent goodwill become dark and corrupted. Like, when I see Superman and Optimus Prime, I can't see them turning evil. They already have villains for that, we're not talking about anti-heroes.

Let Battra do something like that, I forgot he existed until now but I guess he fits the bill.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:41 pm
You know, I once wrote (never posted) an outline for a good season and a half/two seasons of a theoretical Godzilla anime I'd have liked to see, and having Battra team up with orphaned Mothra larvae twins after their mother died (she died defeating Gigan in the outline). I went further and had one of the twins take after classic Mothra while one took after Mothra Leo. In the outline I had Battra die protecting the twins while they were cocooned and just as Battra falls Mothra and Leo would emerge from their cocoons fully formed and fight to avenge him. Been a while since I wrote it, but I think I had it was a swarm of Meganulon led by a Megaguirus that wanted to drain the Mothra twins while they were cocooned and killed Battra. Acknowledging that Meganulon were first established in Rodan I had the Mothras team up with Rodan (which would be significant, because their relationship with Rodan would've been very rocky up to this point) to defeat the swarm and kill Megaguirus.

Actually I remember more now - this was part of my season two, which had the folly of man as the main theme (season one was more an alien invasion plot, hence Mothra vs Gigan). The Meganulon came through a temporary time-slip/portal accidentally created during the weapons testing for one of Mechagodzilla's (Kiryu/Heisei hybrid, humans took tech from Mecha King Ghidorah and used 54's Goji skeleton as a base) weapons. Rodan in his attacks against the Meganulon caused widespread damage to a couple cities, being a more colder/unfriendly figure due to the recent loss of his mate, indirectly caused by mankind during the alien invasion season 1. So humans trying to make Mechagodzilla accidentally raised a threat with Meganulon coming through, and had Rodan mad at them for accidentally killing his mate and bringing up his ancient enemy. So the Mothras were really humanity's hope in both destroying the Meganulon and calming Rodan down.

Of course not enough was learned and Mechagodzilla was still finished later in the season.

I know not a lot of people here like the made by humans take on Mechagodzilla, but in my defense in my plot for season one an alien species tried to invade the world in a plot involving Orga (initial scout/shock trooper), Gigan (brute invader), King Ghidorah (final trump card), Mecha King Ghidorah teamed up with Gigan (both cybernetically brought back from the dead, with Gigan 2.0 sporting Final Wars' chainsaws), and finally Spacegodzilla (enhanced clone of the Earth's most powerful defendor). So making Mechagodzilla alien-made too after all that in the first season would've been too much, and making him part of the folly of man theme of season 2 helped the plot a lot like with the weapon testing accidentally creating the time rip for the first Meganulon to slip through. Oh, and digging up 54 Goji's bones was my way to introduce the Destroyah organisms - oxygen destroyer mutated them like in the Heisei era but they were living on the bones and in the sand around harmlessly feeding off the bones' nuclear radiation until humans dug it up.

I still maintain my theoretical anime outline is better than the actual anime we've since got. Except Anguirus, SP did better on him than I managed (I love the guy, but it was hard to make him anything more than an "also there").

Added in 17 minutes 49 seconds:
Oh, almost forgot - Battra in season one was originally awakened by Belvera - the sort of evil older sister of Mothra's Elias/priestesses from the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy and was battling with Mothra the original for most of the early part of season one. But they had to team up to save earth from the aliens, and Mothra saved Battra during the battle with the first Gigan. So Battra and the Mothra larvae avenge her by ending the chainsaw resurrected Gigan later in the season.

Godzilla was the title character of my outline, but the Mothra mythos with the 3 Mothras (mom, twins) were practically co-leads to Goji.
Last edited by Vakanai on Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Jan EnciZilla
Ronin

Re: King Caesar in the Reiwa Era

Post by Jan EnciZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:45 am Hi there, LegendZilla here once again. Today, I will like to discuss whether or not everyone's giant lion-golem, King Caesar deserves another chance in a live action Godzilla film. I often hear people around here complain how he was handled in his 1974 debut, perceiving him as weak, but hey that's what reboots are for. If something didn't work the first time, try again and put more effort.

I am one of those who rather does enjoy King Ceasar as a kaiju. I think he has a ton of potential and amping him up would be the way to go to take the character forward. What ideas do you people have as to what to do with him? for one, they should give him his super-jumping ability that was cut from Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla, making him much more of a good physical combatant. As for a new ability, perhaps the green gem on his forehead could be used for him to make illusions to confuse and/or hypnotize enemies with. The latter ability will only work on organic opponents though, serving as a weakness.

Do you have any ideas as to how Caesar could use a good update? I would prefer if you could stray from the 2004 version as much as possible and avoid anthropomorphization route. Perhaps they should try to take advantage of modern SFX technology and go for a more animalistic route

Feedback would be much appreciated. On a side note, do you have any dream-matches as for kaiju you would like to see him pitted against? Peace out. ;)
a good King Ceasar returns for me is explain its background

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Keep Megalon's origin but make him a serious, intimidating threat.
For Emperor and Empire!

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Liquid Toad from H-man or Vampire plants

Added in 34 minutes 7 seconds:
I would have them both be mutations from Ultima's influence.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe they can make Ghidorah's wings rainbow-colored and maybe even add bits of purple on his skin. It would be an interesting nod to his original color scheme.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Back in 1965, when Frankenstein Vs Baragon was in pre-production, they originally intended it to be a solo film for Frank. However, they ultimately decided that the script was too dark and depressing, which is why they tossed in another kaiju for him to fight, and we got Baragon. How do you think another Frankenstein film done by Toho should be handled? The character deserves another shot at starring in a Toho film, maybe they make him the only monster as originally intended?

Also, Since he's a Public Domain character, He could be good to add diversity for a hypothetical shared universe for Toho Kaiju films. Him and Kong after the original 1933 film goes PD. Just thought I'd do a post fit for Halloween. I hope yours is both safe and happy.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:28 pm Back in 1965, when Frankenstein Vs Baragon was in pre-production, they originally intended it to be a solo film for Frank. However, they ultimately decided that the script was too dark and depressing, which is why they tossed in another kaiju for him to fight, and we got Baragon.
Sort of. In the beginning of the 60's, John Beck pitched King Kong vs. Frankenstein to Toho, which became King Kong vs. Godzilla. Then soon afterwards in 1963, Toho decided to follow it up with Frankenstein vs. the Human Vapour, or then Frankenstein vs. Godzilla. That was then split into two final movies, Mothra vs. Godzilla and Frankenstein vs. Baragon.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

While it wouldn't necessarily be a kaiju movie, I would not mind another crack at a Frankenstein vs. The human vabor film.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

While he definitely needs to be benched for a few more years, it occurs to me that the whole 'evolving monster with multiple forms' concept that seems to be becoming a norm might be an excellent fit for Ghidorah. He could be like the Blob, coming to Earth quietly in a small, seemingly harmless form, then gradually evolve into ever bigger and more terrifying forms as his true apocalyptic nature is revealed. And it's not even out-of-character for him, since most incarnations from '91 on have had more than one form. Dorats/King Ghidorah/Mecha-Ghidorah, for example, or Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah. This would just be an expansion of what we usually get.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Lirimac
Young Farmer

Post by Lirimac »

I would like that Bosmuto (AKA Barb/Queen Muto) , (yes, I want her to appear in WoG), and Rodan would be as strong as Godzilla and they would have some interesting powers:

Bosmuto should have, in addition to her canonical abilities, :
-) Burrowing ability;
-) A High-Voltage Electric Beam.
She, and all Jinshin-Mushi’s, should even be different in design: more bulky and with four-fingered hands, (with claws), on her upper arms.

Rodan should have his normal abilities and his uranium heat ray and fire balls.