Showa Godzilla films with best and worst special effects

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Ethan
G-Grasper

Re: Showa Godzilla films with best and worst special effects

Post by Ethan »

Oh I see. So Nakano's first experience as a SFX director (as far as giant monsters are concerned) was Godzilla vs. Hedorah?
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

Ethan wrote:Oh I see. So Nakano's first experience as a SFX director (as far as giant monsters are concerned) was Godzilla vs. Hedorah?
Hedorah was his first film as effects director, but he wouldn't get billed under that title until 1973's Submersion of Japan. Also, Teruyoshi Nakano was hardly inexperienced. He was a first assistant director to Eiji Tsuburaya since King Kong VS Godzilla and didn't have the power or influence his mentor had. After Tsuburaya died, Toho got rid of their special effects house and Nakano had to get freelancers for the job. Whoever was left after the effects house folded stayed on (or something like that). The 70s Godzilla films were not kind to Nakano who had to make due with whatever budget and time he was given (which I think were half the budget of the 60s Godzilla films).

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Best effects were most likely MothravsG, GTTHM (sans the G and Rodan puppets), GvsMonster Zero and DAM. I also feel that both SOG and TOMG also had some underrated SFX work. I agree with everyone else's sentiments about KKvsG...the Kong suit, terrible blue screen matte shots, and the stick puppets used in the final part of the battle knock it down quite a bit. Also, as much as I love GvsGigan, the flying puppet for KG was just....*brutal*...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

The only SFX flop from Mothra vs Godzilla was the deflating rock from the final battle. I guess they where trying to show that Godzilla's heat ray melted it but they kinda did a bad job at it. Other than that the film was great.

Godzilla Raids Again had the worst. The suit and the puppets where terrible. And why where the battles filmed in fast motion?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Yeah looking back on KKvsG, it did have some awful effects work. The bad matte work & the stop motion scenes (especially the one with the two monsters) was just jarring and the green army figures jumping on Kong
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Gyaos wrote: Godzilla Raids Again had the worst. The suit and the puppets where terrible. And why where the battles filmed in fast motion?
This has been discussed to death already.

Listen to the audio commentary.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

The worst was Godzilla vs. Megalon

The best is a lot harder to decide for me...Invasion of the Astro Monster I think?
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

For reasons people already stated, Godzilla vs. Gigan is easily the worst of the bunch. Megalon at least had the dam sequence, but then again, it was nothing new *coughMothracough*.

Son of Godzilla has some of the best wire and matte work ever seen in a Godzilla film. Battle in Outer Space is good in this respect too, although the matting is a bit still "meh".

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Goji wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:My biggest problem with KKvsG's effects are the terrible blue bleeds on the matte shots.
Which nobody even mentioned in this topic. Funny how that works.
This is what I came here to post actually.

Also in defense of "Gigan", the pyrotechnics were pretty bitchin', Godzilla (and Anguirus) bleeding was done quite well, and something about the "rotting Godzilla suit" is charming to me, I see him more of an aging, battle weary hero by this time than a detrimental special effect.

My problem with "Megalon" is the stock footage overload. I like the suits for the fim for the most part, but, the fact that pretty much all of Megalon's rampage, be it city destruction (practically 100% lifted from "Ghidrah"), or battling the jet squadron (where his claws turn into Gigan's claws to smash the jets), and the maser attack ("War of the Gargantuas") is stock.

Also except for the scene where Gigan holds JJ hostage, and where Gigan gets tossed up at the end, Godzilla's breath isn't handled very well, as it doesn't even connect with the monsters.

Best effects? I'm a huge fan of the wirework done for Kumonga and Kamakiris in "Son of Godzilla", "Sea Monster" was pretty strong for the most part...."MechaGodzilla" was flashy and fun.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I don't understand how stock footage or even derpy suits count as bad special effects. I mean, if a suit fails to give off the impression of a 50-meter high monster (e.g noticeable eye holes, visible strings holding up tail), then I guess that makes sense, but besides the suits from GIGAN being quite worn, I've failed to see any complaints of that nature yet.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at earlier. How stock footage="bad", especially when a lot of that footage was good to begin with.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Because its bad editing when you can clearly see monsters that aren't supposed to be in the scene. There are even scenes in Megalon where the exact same set of buildings are destroyed, only the scene is mirrored so the text on a building is backwards. I consider that effects.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

For the third time, how does stock footage equal bad effects?

It's how it's used, that's the problem, not the footage itself.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

....did you even read what I said? I'm pretty sure EDITING counts as an effect, since...thats when most effects are added in, in the editing process....but just ask the same question again I guess.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

WOW.

Yeah, editing is not a SPX.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

WOW.

That makes you right, somehow. WOW.

Giving children the internet. Great call.
SAVE_US.GDZ

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Godz wrote:....did you even read what I said? I'm pretty sure EDITING counts as an effect, since...thats when most effects are added in, in the editing process....but just ask the same question again I guess.
There's a reason that the Film Editor is never credited together with any of the Special Effects team of a film. Editing is not a special effect.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Godz wrote:....did you even read what I said? I'm pretty sure EDITING counts as an effect, since...thats when most effects are added in, in the editing process....but just ask the same question again I guess.
There's a reason that the Film Editor is never credited together with any of the Special Effects team of a film. Editing is not a special effect.
Well if you want to split hairs, alright. At least you are presenting your point without sounding like a jackass.

But to that I'd say, aren't things like beam weaponry added in during the editing process? So where do you draw the line?
SAVE_US.GDZ

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Way to be butt hurt about it. I'm not a "child", FYI.

You're wrong, and you know what? It's okay. It's not a big deal.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Goji wrote:Way to be butt hurt about it. I'm not a "child", FYI.

You're wrong, and you know what? It's okay. It's not a big deal.
Nothing proves maturity like using the phrase... "butt hurt". You sure showed me...on the internet. You win, chief.
SAVE_US.GDZ