Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: The massive Godzilla 54 flaw nobody mentions

Post by Maritonic »

This has been mentioned before, numerous times.
This also did not need it's own thread. Why not post this in the Talkbalk: Gojira thread?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

^I haven’t heard this mentioned before. It is quite rediculous, and it’s not a result of the science at the time not being there because GRA says 70 million (or something like that).
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Who cares?

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

UltramanGoji wrote:Who cares?
Hey I care! In a movie that is otherwise a masterpiece in the way it makes a giant monster a stand-in for the horrors of nuclear war, that comment is one of the few ‘b-movie’ moments that take you out of the drama and make you roll your eyes.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Hey I care! In a movie that is otherwise a masterpiece in the way it makes a giant monster a stand-in for the horrors of nuclear war, that comment is one of the few ‘b-movie’ moments that take you out of the drama and make you roll your eyes.
I cannot believe we are literally taking a tiny, outdated mistake as something monumentally detrimental to this otherwise fantastic film. Like, okay, it's a tiny booboo. I won't deny that. But "takes you out of the film"? I cannot agree in any way, shape or form.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
I cannot believe we are literally taking a tiny, outdated mistake as something monumentally detrimental to this otherwise fantastic film. Like, okay, it's a tiny booboo. I won't deny that. But "takes you out of the film"? I cannot agree in any way, shape or form.
Even after it's been pointed out by people here, I still never think about the line. I agree with you completely Ultra.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think the only time I've ever given any thought to it is because people on here and other sites won't stop bringing it up like it's a critical flaw that hinders the movie.

Do people who think that way have seizures every time a caveman appears alongside dinosaurs? That's seriously the impression I'm getting here. It's incorrect history, sure. A small script blunder. But it's not a major mark against the film's quality and should never be treated as anything more than a "whoopsie".

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

UltramanGoji wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Well, speak for yourself. I watched Gojira a few days ago, and it took me out. And I’m not saying it’s monumentally detrimental, it’s just the most dated aspect of the film. For me. Not a huge deal. Maybe Jeff or someone else feels it is a massive deal. Either way it’s interesting enough to bring up. This is Toho Kingdom, there should be room to discuss pretty much anything kaiju. If you’re not interested you just don’t have to post a reply. Or like, argue that it’s only a small detail in a respectful way.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Not sure how he was being disrespectful. If you're going to talk about how there should be room for discussion, then you're going to have to accept not everyone is going to agree...

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:Not sure how he was being disrespectful. If you're going to talk about how there should be room for discussion, then you're going to have to accept not everyone is going to agree...
I don’t any problem with him or anyone disagreeing, but it’s kind of rude to just comment ‘who cares?’.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Not sure how he was being disrespectful. If you're going to talk about how there should be room for discussion, then you're going to have to accept not everyone is going to agree...
I don’t any problem with him or anyone disagreeing, but it’s kind of rude to just comment ‘who cares?’.
It's also kind of pointless to create an entire thread dedicated to one single line in a film, especially when we have talkback threads for each individual film.

It's not exactly like the OP was gleaming with respect and taste "nice research". So, "who cares?" is a pretty acceptable answer. At least as far as I'm concerned.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Yes it is a mistake, but not a surprising one for when the film came out, it is one of many scientific in accuracies in the film. Many of my favorite sci-fi franchises have these types of mistakes and I usually chuckle and move on.
Last edited by szmigiel on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
It's also kind of pointless to create an entire thread dedicated to one single line in a film, especially when we have talkback threads for each individual film.

It's not exactly like the OP was gleaming with respect and taste "nice research". So, "who cares?" is a pretty acceptable answer. At least as far as I'm concerned.
I just think that the things people make topics about is the real ‘who cares’. Pointless or not, it doesn’t hurt you or affect your life. Just don’t even engage if you think it’s stupid. If you don’t have anything nice to say, etc.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:

I just think that the things people make topics about is the real ‘who cares’. Pointless or not, it doesn’t hurt you or affect your life. Just don’t even engage if you think it’s stupid. If you don’t have anything nice to say, etc.
But, you're contradicting yourself. Discussion isn't going to always be positive. So, I myself think this is stupid to be making a topic about, and stupid to even be acknowledging. Should I just let it go because my opinion differs from his? Should be receive nothing but people agreeing? What's the point of that discussion?

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

It's an inconsequential comment based on an outdated understanding of science. It doesn't remotely constitute a massive flaw and, as others have said, certainly did not deserve its own thread. If this minor thing somehow prevents you from enjoying the film, just pretend Godzilla is set in an alternate universe where the Jurassic Period is only 2 million years removed from 1954.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

But, you're contradicting yourself. Discussion isn't going to always be positive. So, I myself think this is stupid to be making a topic about, and stupid to even be acknowledging. Should I just let it go because my opinion differs from his? Should be receive nothing but people agreeing? What's the point of that discussion?
No you don’t have to let it go, but you don’t have to use words like ‘stupid’. It’s just unnecessarily rude.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzilla is a giant bipedal aquatic dinosaur with ears and people actually care about this detail?
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KaijuCanuck wrote: Well, speak for yourself. I watched Gojira a few days ago, and it took me out. And I’m not saying it’s monumentally detrimental, it’s just the most dated aspect of the film. For me. Not a huge deal. Maybe Jeff or someone else feels it is a massive deal. Either way it’s interesting enough to bring up.
It's not interesting enough to warrant it's own thread. It's like somebody making a thread based on that one scene in Godzilla vs. Gigan where you can see pieces of the Godzilla suit falling off.

That's a big problem I've been noticing recently, people are making so many threads on one tiny topic that can easily fit into the preexisting film discussion. These threads are going to get, like, fifteen posts and then wither away and die in the backlog of the board. It just seems utterly pointless to me.

Keep in mind, I'm saying that making a separate thread for this topic is pointless, not the actual discussion itself.
KaijuCanuck wrote: This is Toho Kingdom, there should be room to discuss pretty much anything kaiju. If you’re not interested you just don’t have to post a reply. Or like, argue that it’s only a small detail in a respectful way.
I think Maritonic already detailed why this is counter-productive.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

UltramanGoji wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote: Well, speak for yourself. I watched Gojira a few days ago, and it took me out. And I’m not saying it’s monumentally detrimental, it’s just the most dated aspect of the film. For me. Not a huge deal. Maybe Jeff or someone else feels it is a massive deal. Either way it’s interesting enough to bring up.
It's not interesting enough to warrant it's own thread. It's like somebody making a thread based on that one scene in Godzilla vs. Gigan where you can see pieces of the Godzilla suit falling off.

That's a big problem I've been noticing recently, people are making so many threads on one tiny topic that can easily fit into the preexisting film discussion. These threads are going to get, like, fifteen posts and then wither away and die in the backlog of the board. It just seems utterly pointless to me.

Keep in mind, I'm saying that making a separate thread for this topic is pointless, not the actual discussion itself.
KaijuCanuck wrote: This is Toho Kingdom, there should be room to discuss pretty much anything kaiju. If you’re not interested you just don’t have to post a reply. Or like, argue that it’s only a small detail in a respectful way.
I think Maritonic already detailed why this is counter-productive.
Maritonic and I just sorted this out through PMs. I dunno, my big point is just that people don’t need to call each other stupid on here, or put each other down. That’s all. I can see that maybe it’s a small point to have it’s own topic.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I dunno, my big point is just that people don’t need to call each other stupid on here, or put each other down. That’s all.
But nobody here is doing that. They're (myself included) calling the topic stupid. My disagreeing with you in saying it takes you out of the film is in no way, shape, or form an insult.

Anyway, it's merged now so I'm not sure this debate really matters anymore, lol.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.