Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Goji97
Ronin

Re: Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

Post by Goji97 »

I had the Raymond Burr cut on VHS and had watched it numerous times.

Watched the Original Japanese edition a few days ago, man was I missing out.

The scene where the mother tells her child "Don't worry, we will see Daddy soon" was one of the biggest gut punchers I'd ever seen in a movie. I like that Godzilla is almost treated like a natural disaster that can't be stopped.

Even the final moments of the film feel hopeless as they talk about the possibility of another creature appearing

Great movie

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

This movie started my favorite movie franchise ever, a 62 year franchise at that. Godzilla represents nuclear warfare and how dangerous it is. It's just the utter devastation Godzilla brings when he heads to Japan. But in the end, I always feel bad for Godzilla when he dies, just like King Kong in 1933. Great movie!
Resized Image

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

I rewatched this last night to celebrate Halloween, beginning the long journey through the Godzilla series with my newbie girlfriend. (We're also planning on doing a video series as a expert/newbie team.)

This was my first time watching it with the Criterion transfer and subtitles. Aside from echoing everything I've ever heard about the picture being the best the film has looked on disc, I felt I understood a lot more of the nuance of the story and characters. I love this film even more now.
PSN: soilsongs

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

My favorite movie of all time. Maybe the best movie of all time.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Watched King of the Monsters earlier today with my little brother. His first time seeing it, and the first time I'd seen it in probably seven or eight years, maybe more. He seemed to generally like it, with his main comment of note being that "we're going to see your father soon", when your father is dead, is one of the scariest things you can say to a kid. Can't argue with that, I suppose.

I'm kind of mixed on it. Gojira handled the Japanese characters far better, of course. Steve Martin fills the movie with all these great, memorable lines, but his narration gets in the way sometimes, too. And he ultimately doesn't have much effect on the story. I guess he helped convince Emiko to get Serizawa to use the Oxygen Destroyer, but she was already leaning that way anyhow. He just feels like what he pretty much is: tacked on. His version of the movie is still plenty enjoyable for what it is, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I've never had a huge problem with KotM, really... for the most part, it even preserves the whole nuclear metaphor, at least enough to the point where it still is a blatant message of sorts. Some of what was added really does contribute neat cinematic drama, though, and some great writing.

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

As I'm watching the Godzillathon on El Rey, I'm wondering did the Japanese like the Raymond Burr version of Godzilla since they were able to see it. So did they like it? I mean who doesn't love Raymond Burr. :)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Hellblaze wrote:As I'm watching the Godzillathon on El Rey, I'm wondering did the Japanese like the Raymond Burr version of Godzilla since they were able to see it. So did they like it? I mean who doesn't love Raymond Burr. :)
Ishiro Honda was reported to find it amusing

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Honestly, instead of dubbing Gojira - I do like how they adapted the movie into almost something else. It's the same events (for the most part) but from another person's point of view. It's an interesting way to dub/localize the movie that I believe worked well for the film.

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

Godzillian wrote:
Hellblaze wrote:As I'm watching the Godzillathon on El Rey, I'm wondering did the Japanese like the Raymond Burr version of Godzilla since they were able to see it. So did they like it? I mean who doesn't love Raymond Burr. :)
Ishiro Honda was reported to find it amusing
Well that's good to hear that he liked it. :D
SpaceG92 wrote:Honestly, instead of dubbing Gojira - I do like how they adapted the movie into almost something else. It's the same events (for the most part) but from another person's point of view. It's an interesting way to dub/localize the movie that I believe worked well for the film.
I like that too plus Raymond Burr here was so popular even my mom loves his show. I think they did a good job on him in the movie in both 54 and 84 Gojira movies. It's sad though he died. He was a great actor. :(

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SpaceG92 wrote:Honestly, instead of dubbing Gojira - I do like how they adapted the movie into almost something else. It's the same events (for the most part) but from another person's point of view. It's an interesting way to dub/localize the movie that I believe worked well for the film.
Speaking from the perspective of 2017, owning both versions on multiple home video formats, and having had the chance to see both on the big screen, my stance is the same: I love having two different takes, both artistically and in-universe, on the same events.

Looking back to the early 90s, a time when I wanted to see the Japanese version, but didn't yet have access to it (I'm guessing I got my first bootleg copy around 1994/95), I was less forgiving of the changes.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

So what's Godzillas deal with bridges in this movie :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:So what's Godzillas deal with bridges in this movie :lol:
He doesn't like trolls? Or its a tragic reminder of an incident from his childhood? :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:This is pretty cool.

https://www.cnet.com/news/godzilla-orig ... rack-1954/
Thats awesome!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KaijuCanuck wrote:This is pretty cool.

https://www.cnet.com/news/godzilla-orig ... rack-1954/
Rad! Wonder if this is a new 4K restoration?

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:So what's Godzillas deal with bridges in this movie :lol:
He doesn't like trolls? Or its a tragic reminder of an incident from his childhood? :lol:
Gabara?
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

I remember reading that the name "Gojira" actually came from the fact they had to prep up the suit early in the morning, so they called it "Gojira" as in "the monster of 5 o' clock"; which goes in contradiction with the traditional origin for the name. Can't remember where I read it though, anyone have an idea?

EDIT: nevermind, found it:

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... d-godzilla

does this mean the "Gojira" portmanteau is not the actual name origin?
Last edited by Omegamorph on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Omegamorph wrote:I remember reading that the name "Gojira" actually came from the fact they had to prep up the suit early in the morning, so they called it "Gojira" as in "the monster of 5 o' clock"; which goes in contradiction with the traditional origin for the name. Can't remember where I read it though, anyone have an idea?

EDIT: nevermind, found it:

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... d-godzilla

does this mean the "Gojira" portmanteau is not the actual name origin?
This is the first website I've ever heard mention that, so I'm going to take it's authenticity with a grain of salt.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think it reads that way on the Criterion site. It sounds like the author is saying the nickname "Goji" -not the name "Gojira"- came from the sfx technicians. Basically it's a pun. Besides it wouldn't make sense for the monster to go unnamed until sfx shooting had been underway for a while, and that's the only way the crew would have even known they'd be pulling all-nighters.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.