Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Re: The massive Godzilla 54 flaw nobody mentions

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Ivo-goji wrote:Godzilla is a giant bipedal aquatic dinosaur with ears and people actually care about this detail?
A Cenozoic dinosaur as it were.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

Post by Godzillian »

So how would Yamane and Serizawa reacted to Emiko and Okata informing them of their love and intent to marry? Personally I think Serizawa would be a bit understanding and ok with it while Yamane would be opposed to it

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Godzillian wrote:So how would Yamane and Serizawa reacted to Emiko and Okata informing them of their love and intent to marry? Personally I think Serizawa would be a bit understanding and ok with it while Yamane would be opposed to it
Serizawa was so depressed, I doubt he would have much to say on the matter, there’s a scene towards the end where Ogata and Emiko come to confront Serizawa about the Oxygen Destroyer and you can tell he puts on a brave face when he sees the two, expecting that they’re there to break off the arranged marriage. In fact he probably would have just killed himself afterwards. I don’t know, I got a suicidy vibe from the man.

Yamane would definitely be opposed to it, especially if it came after Ogata expressing that he’d like to see Godzilla destroyed.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Tonight I got to see a screening of this film in a theater for the first time. It was an awesome experience and I'm so glad I got to go. The only thing that bugged me was that the people sitting behind me laughed at everything. I can understand laughing at certain things, such as the head-on shots of the Godzilla puppet's face considering the eyes do look goofy. But these people laughed at the simplest things, like Emiko walking out of Dr. Serizawa's lab after the first Oxygen Destroyer scene. But as annoying as they were, I had a great time. I got to see it with my brother-in-law, who had never seen the original before, and he really liked it which I'm so glad about. Seeing this movie in a theater is something I'll never forget.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dr. Professor wrote:Tonight I got to see a screening of this film in a theater for the first time. It was an awesome experience and I'm so glad I got to go. The only thing that bugged me was that the people sitting behind me laughed at everything. I can understand laughing at certain things, such as the head-on shots of the Godzilla puppet's face considering the eyes do look goofy. But these people laughed at the simplest things, like Emiko walking out of Dr. Serizawa's lab after the first Oxygen Destroyer scene. But as annoying as they were, I had a great time. I got to see it with my brother-in-law, who had never seen the original before, and he really liked it which I'm so glad about. Seeing this movie in a theater is something I'll never forget.
I've experienced Gojira on the big screen three times now. The first two times were as you described; laughing at literally nothing but the older special effects, or the heartbreaking scenes.

However, my last time seeing it the theater was so silent you could hear a pin drop. It was incredible. I'm glad you got to experience it on the big screen, because it truly is something to behold.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Maritonic wrote:I've experienced Gojira on the big screen three times now. The first two times were as you described; laughing at literally nothing but the older special effects, or the heartbreaking scenes. However, my last time seeing it the theater was so silent you could hear a pin drop. It was incredible.
These people laughed if two characters so much as spoke to each other. It's just so irritating to me the way American audiences treat films that are either foreign, old, or, especially, both. Luckily everyone else in the theater was quiet. There was a pretty good amount of people there too.
I'm glad you got to experience it on the big screen, because it truly is something to behold.
The theater that's playing it has it until next Wednesday so hopefully I'll be able to see it one more time. I'd love to experience this again.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:Tonight I got to see a screening of this film in a theater for the first time. It was an awesome experience and I'm so glad I got to go. The only thing that bugged me was that the people sitting behind me laughed at everything. I can understand laughing at certain things, such as the head-on shots of the Godzilla puppet's face considering the eyes do look goofy. But these people laughed at the simplest things, like Emiko walking out of Dr. Serizawa's lab after the first Oxygen Destroyer scene. But as annoying as they were, I had a great time. I got to see it with my brother-in-law, who had never seen the original before, and he really liked it which I'm so glad about. Seeing this movie in a theater is something I'll never forget.
I've experienced Gojira on the big screen three times now. The first two times were as you described; laughing at literally nothing but the older special effects, or the heartbreaking scenes.

However, my last time seeing it the theater was so silent you could hear a pin drop. It was incredible. I'm glad you got to experience it on the big screen, because it truly is something to behold.
Huh. I've also seen it in the theater a few times (in both Japanese and American cuts), and nobody ever laughed once.

Maybe LA audiences are more respectful, because most of them tend to be film buffs?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Definitely possible. NY audiences are so bad I've sworn of going to the movies because I can't take it anymore. Which pains me greatly.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I went to see G54 in NYC and the only laughs I can recall are at the Odo Islander's "Be respectful or we'll feed you to Godzilla!" line and maybe one or two puppet shots.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:I went to see G54 in NYC and the only laughs I can recall are at the Odo Islander's "Be respectful or we'll feed you to Godzilla!" line and maybe one or two puppet shots.
I should be a bit more specific: I'm not in NYC, but about an hour or so north of the city. Whenever I've seen films in the city, people are typically silent. But out here people are rude as can possibly be, even at the Yonkers Alamo Drafthouse.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I saw Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah on a big screen at a local Godzilla film festival that was being put on in my home town, and I remember being really annoyed that people were laughing. It was a long time ago though, I was in like grade 5 - I can’t remember if it was laughing in general, or just at some of the understandably goofy M11 scenes and such.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Dr. Professor wrote:Tonight I got to see a screening of this film in a theater for the first time. It was an awesome experience and I'm so glad I got to go. The only thing that bugged me was that the people sitting behind me laughed at everything.
People like this are the worst.

SaiyanRider54
Interpol Agent

Post by SaiyanRider54 »

Have any of you guys been to Hiroshima? I’d recommend it to any Godzilla fan. I had the chance to spend a week there last year and it really has added a layer to my experience as a Godzilla fan and Gojira (1954) in particular. I went to Tokyo for a couple days as well but my time in Hiroshima really left a greater impact. Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Everything that can be said has already been said about this fantastic & genre starting film...
so I'll just add that its a classic & I watch it at least once a year.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Just rewatched this. I’m trying to marathon all the Godzilla films before I move to Japan in a few weeks, so expect a lot of bumps in pretty much all the film threads. Anyways, this time I noticed some really interesting stuff, mostly human related:

-The people of Odo Island aren’t as rural or “backwards” as I had always remembered them. Minus a few local superstitions they’re normal people. Not really important for this thread, but it’s important for other threads on this forum.

-The cut cow scene is built up by showing a shot of cows in the background on Odo.

-Godzilla’s design, is sortve irrelevant to the film. Other then the brief scene with Yamane discussing a theory for his origin, which actually states that Godzilla’s species predates dinosaurs and is explicitly amphibious, no one discusses what he really is other then a nuclear menace.

-During Godzilla’s final rampage, I believe he destroys the building/room that a majority of the earlier film took place in, the one where all the discussions took place. It shows a similar looking room with the same big curtains. It’s a nice detail.

-The planes at the end weren’t shooting at Godzilla, I think, but rather using flares to lure Godzilla back into the ocean by enraging him. I never realized how much of a part bright flashing was in the original film.

-When Ogata and Emiko confront Serizawa, there’s a brief moment where she sits down and apologizes to Serizawa. A major subtext of this, and if it was any other context, is the revelation that Emiko loves Ogata. Had it been any other film you’d assume the plot point wasn’t the oxygen destroyer but rather then the affair.

-Likewise, the climax of the film isn’t Godzilla’s rampage, or even the oxygen destroyer scene but rather the scene in the laboratory. Perhaps one of the best moments, and genius filmmaking, is how Serizawa realizes the affair, and ultimately agrees to use the oxygen destroyer, due to how Eimko grabs and cares for Ogata after he is injured by him. It’s a really subtle detail, but it’s amazing. Likewise, I confirmed that this wasn’t just a subtitle thing, but there’s a line where Serizawa addresses Ogata and then Ogata and Emiko together (Ogata, kimitachi etc...), showing that Serizawa knows.

Some stuff regarding future films:
-Might Destroyah be in part a reference to the trilobite that is found living on Godzilla’s foot? We know Destroyah mutated from some lifeform and the trilobite would sortve fit the idea, or maybe the inspiration. Likewise for the trilobite from GXMG.

-I was always wondering what exactly that shot in Shin with the graveyard was referencing; its Yamane and the others standing on the hill watching Godzilla’s rampage.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

One of the greatest things about G54's characters are the subtleties in their acting. The main trio does a great job in this. Eager to see your notes on the other films!

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Tue May 07, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Just started the original Gojira film, haven't watched it since I was like 4, if that, tbh I don't recall ever seeing this one when I was smaller, or I may have but it was the English version.

I Love how the intro has his roars followed by the classic theme. Will give my full thoughts after the film.

Added in 13 hours 12 minutes 20 seconds:
So here's some of my notes,

- when Shinkichi's parents are killed , I figured they were killed by the tsunami/flood. But apparently Godzilla came through like a ghost and I just didn't see him when the house fell apart? Still a great scene, I figured the kid got eaten as soon as he left his house since his voice sounded much higher and further away than he had when he first left.

- The most iconic scores used throughout the franchise mostly all originate in this film, to great effect. (Those trumpets and violins are ICONIC)

- The human perspective when they're standing within Godzilla's footprint is refreshing after years of seeing those repetitive wide pan out shots used to this day to prove a point about the scale of a monster.

- Godzilla in this film originated in between the Jurassic Period and the Cretaceous period, from a Marine Reptile to a terrestrial animal.

- Provided for himself and his potential family in an underwater cave, before being disturbed by nuclear testing

- The way they connect the Sand/Trilobite discovery to Godzilla's age is really well played out.

- There's a very authentic old school filming style they use, between fade outs and cutaways.

- It feels good to finally watch a film that only focuses on Godzilla doing his Godzilla stuff for once.

- When Godzilla pops up behind the hill out of nowhere and disappears just as fast, it felt like something out of an old school horror flick.

- Not a big fan of Emiko. Iffy on her acting, she lies to Serizawa, meh.

- Godzilla's entire entrance sequence mixed with his score once he comes out of the water and bites the train is phenomenally done. (Although I don't understand how his stomps were heard while he was underwater rising up,) I do like that his stomps were replaced by the equally dense and somber main theme.

- Heavy focus on radiation through out.

- I see why people say Godzilla only likes to skreeonk up Japan, this dude comes back for more about 4 times.
(Though to be fair he lives close by)

- The unique idea of "Unlocking the mystery of how it survives through so much radiation so that we could survive potential nuclear attacks in the future" isn't brought up too often in the franchise.

- Godzilla absolutely mows his way through Tokyo, and you hear every failed strategy/destroyed squads, ships, entire divisions.

- The civilian casualties are definitely hard hitting, a wife and her 2 daughters, murdered in the seemingly infinite fire, shown through pan out shots of the entirety of Tokyo up in massive flames.

- Serizawa is the loner badass type. But he's also extremely paranoid and reserved.

- The entire sequence at the end was well played out, ending with a bitter sweet monologue from Emiko's father.

Anyone can tell why this is the OG and deserves as much respect as possible.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

_JNavs_ wrote:Just started the original Gojira film, haven't watched it since I was like 4, if that, tbh I don't recall ever seeing this one when I was smaller, or I may have but it was the English version.

Yeah, her acting is a bit iffy but it's a good effort for a newcomer. Are you talking about when she breaks Serizawa's promise? If so I mean, it was something she had the courage to do and what was ultimately necessary.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Just started the original Gojira film, haven't watched it since I was like 4, if that, tbh I don't recall ever seeing this one when I was smaller, or I may have but it was the English version.

Yeah, her acting is a bit iffy but it's a good effort for a newcomer. Are you talking about when she breaks Serizawa's promise? If so I mean, it was something she had the courage to do and what was ultimately necessary.
Oh, I hadn't known she was a newcomer, yeah she was decent if that's the case. While she did have to ultimately break the promise, I feel she could've just told Serizawa the situation as soon as he shows her the Oxygen Destroyer. I mean, at that point Godzilla had already thrashed the area once or twice. He would've known the severity and likely took care of the situation since after all, Serizawa waited his whole life for the opportunity to test his creation to save mankind. I don't think she had to break the promise, tell her boyfriend, then break into Serizawas lab.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira