Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by edgaguirus »

Most of MG's weapons are designed for a frontal attack, so grabbing the robot from behind is the smartest strategy.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:18 pm Most of MG's weapons are designed for a frontal attack, so grabbing the robot from behind is the smartest strategy.
I mean, he can rotate his head 360 degrees.
For Emperor and Empire!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

God, just watching this movie again reminds me of why it’s my favourite movie of the franchise, and possibly of all time. The action is some of the best in the series, and I love Katsura in this.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is there a thread around here dedicated to discussing the previous movie?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:28 pm Is there a thread around here dedicated to discussing the previous movie?
Of course. Why wouldn’t there be?

This movie is still KINO that makes the previous film look like chickenshit (because it is).
For Emperor and Empire!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Voyager wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:18 pm The action is some of the best in the series
Godzilla's charge while Mechagodzilla bombards him with everything its got is incredible. It's perfect in terms of tension and absolute badassery. The suit catching on fire just makes it even better.
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:36 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:28 pm Is there a thread around here dedicated to discussing the previous movie?

This movie is still KINO that makes the previous film look like chickenshit (because it is).
I would appreciate a link.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:43 pm

Here you go, kind sir.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=779
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:10 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:43 pm

Here you go, kind sir.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=779
Appreciated. Anyways, what does KINO mean?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:36 pm This movie is still KINO that makes the previous film look like chickenshit (because it is).
Jesus. Mods, what game are you watching? This kid needs five minutes in the box for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Seriously, I'll grant that it has a bloated cast and fails to pay off King Seesar's buildup, but chickenshit?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:13 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:36 pm This movie is still KINO that makes the previous film look like chickenshit (because it is).
Jesus. Mods, what game are you watching? This kid needs five minutes in the box for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Seriously, I'll grant that it has a bloated cast and fails to pay off King Seesar's buildup, but chickenshit?
He's been acting up like this for a while now. I'm not sure if he's low-key trolling or what.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Hmm, I'm not too sure either. TOMG is my fav Godziller film, but I don't think the original GvMG is anywhere close to garbage.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:13 pm

I mean, "chickenshit" doesn't even make sense in this context, since it means "cowardly."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Yeah, sorry.

I was going a bit overboard as I was feeling cheeky. I do not adamantly hate GvMG as I portrayed in my posts, but rather just have a fiery passion for ToMG. I was going a little too far, and my worst crime, is the misuse of the word ‘chickenshit’. I’m sorry if i upset anyone, I’m not trolling, I’m really not. This coinciding with the post on the cringe thread makes it seem I was, but that was posted as a joke and it wasn’t hard to see, as Hamster was able to identify it’s overly sarcastic tone.

Anyways, soz :shrug:
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yeah, that's what I figured. My own post was also comically exaggerated, but I guess toneless internet text strikes again.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Thinking of it, it was really this movie that cemented the familiar melody otherwise known as "The Godzilla March" as Godzilla's main theme.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:27 pm Thinking of it, it was really this movie that cemented the familiar melody otherwise known as "The Godzilla March" as Godzilla's main theme.
Absolutely. It really surprised me when I realized that it only pops up in that context at the very end of the Showa era!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

For a different perspective, I dont think it was this film that cemented the theme as much as it's frequent use in Japan in the 80s by Ifukube to represent Godzilla in works such as the Symphonic Fantasia and Ostinato.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Godzilla march makes a great entrance score no matter if this movie started it or not.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:53 am For a different perspective, I dont think it was this film that cemented the theme as much as it's frequent use in Japan in the 80s by Ifukube to represent Godzilla in works such as the Symphonic Fantasia and Ostinato.
Yeah -- err, I'll say it's significant that he resurrected and re-arranged the 1954 main title for ToMG. But Symphonic Fantasia had a huge impact on how he scored the '90s Godzilla films and, I think, how we think of certain Ifukube motifs today. For one thing, as far as I'm aware, that was the first time he married the 1954 main title to the 1964 version of the "Terror of Godzilla" cue. What we now think of as the Godzilla (character) theme was originally arranged for a 1983 concert.

Ever wonder why in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah he reprised the battle music from King Kong vs. Godzilla in a suite with Ghidorah's theme? Probably because he had previously arranged them that way for his Symphonic Fantasia No. 2. Why is the Faro Island chant sandwiched by the 1954 main title in Godzilla vs Destoroyah's end credits? Because that end credits cue is adapted from Symphonic Fantasia No. 1, where the cues are played back to back.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.