Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Oh boy I remember this first film I ever seen of the G-man
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

My biggest dislike regarding Terror has always been how it 'downplays' MG's actual on-screen ferocity. Sure, the Tokyo destruction is glorious but the second MG goes up against Godzilla in 1 vs 1 his barrage does nothing and he gets his head twisted off again.

I realise it boils more down to the Simian's plan of "let Titanosaurus wreck Godzilla then kill them both" and MG /still/ would have won given the head laser, it just bothers me a little.

Still a fantastic movie though.
Last edited by Mechabrozilla on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:31 pm This movie is pure KINO! Best Showa G film since ‘64. Godzilla is badass, MG is badass, Titanosaurus is there, Katsura, her love interest, Dr Mafune and Mugal are all amazing!
Eh...I wouldn’t really say it’s the best since 64, but everything else is spot on
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 am
Voyager wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:31 pm This movie is pure KINO! Best Showa G film since ‘64. Godzilla is badass, MG is badass, Titanosaurus is there, Katsura, her love interest, Dr Mafune and Mugal are all amazing!
Eh...I wouldn’t really say it’s the best since 64, but everything else is spot on
What Godzilla film, may I ask, would you call better between 75 and 64? If it’s Monster Zero, that’s fair.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:38 pm What Godzilla film, may I ask, would you call better between 75 and 64? If it’s Monster Zero—
bingo

I do find Terror to be better though. It’s just that it’s not the absolute best since 64
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:39 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:38 pm What Godzilla film, may I ask, would you call better between 75 and 64? If it’s Monster Zero—
bingo

I do find Terror to be better though. It’s just that it’s not the absolute best since 64
Best Showa Film since 1964? That is what I meant originally.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Personally I prefer the first Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla over Terror of Mechagodzilla. If we are talking personal "best" Showa films.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

This movie goes in my top 5 Showa G films, with Monster Zero, Hedorah, Mothra vs G and ofc, Godzilla.
Last edited by Voyager on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:38 pm
What Godzilla film, may I ask, would you call better between 75 and 64? If it’s Monster Zero, that’s fair.
While I absolutely love Terror of Mechagodzilla - its tone and atmosphere appeal to me enormously - and would certainly count it among the best films in the franchise, I would say that, by most "objective"/critical standards, Son of Godzilla is a better film. It's got a better pace, a stronger ensemble, and is more consistent in terms of the quality of its effects and its cinematography and editing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:38 pm
Monster Zero, but also Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Hedorah, in my personal opinion.

Son of Godzilla is a great adventure/family film with a good heart and strong characters, and Godzilla vs Hedorah, while admittedly not for everyone, displays such interesting craftsmanship that I can't help but love it even more with each rewatch.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

The nice thing about Terror of Mechagodzilla is how well it compliments Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. With Criterion putting the two on one disc they've become my favorite juicy double feature.
I'd say Terror probably has the smoothest use of stock footage in the '70s. The score is some choice Ifukube, probably the only way you could follow Sato's score from the previous film.
Also, it warms my heart to see Son of Godzilla get the love it's getting! I think the only reason it's not generally ranked higher is because of how goofy the Godzilla suit looks.
Speaking of which, Terror's Godzilla is my favorite "cute" Godzilla. Still got some big eyes but he looks PISSED off the whole movie.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:25 am Speaking of which, Terror's Godzilla is my favorite "cute" Godzilla. Still got some big eyes but he looks PISSED off the whole movie.
Yeah, I love the way that the adjustments made to MegaroGoji's face over the course of Megalon/Mechagodzilla/Terror make Goji look meaner and meaner, accompanying each movie's tone.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know I brought up Godzilla's entrance in this movie before, but I really do think that sequence alone cemented that particular melody will all know as THE theme of Godzilla.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:14 pm I know I brought up Godzilla's entrance in this movie before, but I really do think that sequence alone cemented that particular melody will all know as THE theme of Godzilla.
...you know, you're right.

I haven't thought about it before but that really is the first time it became THE theme for Godzilla and it was only used like that since.

huh.......

RIP Evan.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Come to think of it, this is actually my second favorite Showa Godzilla film after the original. What a great way to end the Showa series.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

This movie is KINO. Best Showa movie after the original and MvG.
For Emperor and Empire!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The intro of MG in this movie is amazing too. That salute is iconic.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Somewhere in the top 5 Godzilla movies for me, easily. Excellent human element and story blending in superbly with one of the most intense kaiju rampages put to screen and the best fight in the Showa era. Perfect ending to the Showa series.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

One of the best of the Showa Era.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Mechabrozilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:18 am My biggest dislike regarding Terror has always been how it 'downplays' MG's actual on-screen ferocity. Sure, the Tokyo destruction is glorious but the second MG goes up against Godzilla in 1 vs 1 his barrage does nothing and he gets his head twisted off again.

I realise it boils more down to the Simian's plan of "let Titanosaurus wreck Godzilla then kill them both" and MG /still/ would have won given the head laser, it just bothers me a little.

Still a fantastic movie though.

I see it as Godzilla learning the best way of fighting Mechagodzilla from his previous battle.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.