Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Post by DragonZord13 »

So in some promo pictures Godzilla is going all Samurai style with a telephone pole. What's the story about that?
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

DragonZord13 wrote:So in some promo pictures Godzilla is going all Samurai style with a telephone pole. What's the story about that?
A telephone pole? I always thought it was a tree with no leaves on it. Where would a telephone pole come from in the countryside?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

DragonZord13 wrote:So in some promo pictures Godzilla is going all Samurai style with a telephone pole. What's the story about that?

It's a reference to Kogarashi Monjirō, which was a really popular 1972 TV series based on novels by Saho Sasazawa. Quoth Wikipedia: "Monjirō is a drifter, iconic for his ragged straw hat and cape outfit and long toothpick in his mouth." Atsuo Nakamura was Monjiro. Toei also produced two Monjiro movies in 1972 with Bunta Sugawara playing the character.

Steve Ryfle talks about it here at 1:15:12.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

So if I heard the commentary right it sounds like something was filmed and just never got used. I am very disappointed that Godzilla didn't go all Samurai with the tree. (Sorry I thought it was a phone line) Off to write a fan fic. I go! Thanks for the info man.
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

DragonZord13 wrote:So if I heard the commentary right it sounds like something was filmed and just never got used. I am very disappointed that Godzilla didn't go all Samurai with the tree. (Sorry I thought it was a phone line) Off to write a fan fic. I go! Thanks for the info man.
Please, tell me when you're finished with it and where you publish it. Even I've got to read this!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

DragonZord13 wrote:So if I heard the commentary right it sounds like something was filmed and just never got used. I am very disappointed that Godzilla didn't go all Samurai with the tree. (Sorry I thought it was a phone line) Off to write a fan fic. I go! Thanks for the info man.
The telephone pole was the toothpick. He does use a tree briefly during the battle but not really in a way that suggests swordplay. He plucks it out of the ground and gives Megalon a few whacks with it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

As for the fan fic give me some time and I'm sure I can whip up something short and sweet. And it has been a while since I've seen G vs Megalon and I honestly can not remember him using a tree to whack the beetle god. Time to bust out the movie and research it. As for the movie itself I've always liked it. Its heavy Tokusatsu inspired elements really work for me and while the lack of women in the film is jarring the monster action more than makes up for it. I solid film that I think would make any kid a Godzilla fan.
Plus Megalon is entertaining to watch, what with is very colorful personality. I dare say apart from Showa Era Godzilla and Minilla, Megalon is the only other monster shown to have a personality. Well maybe Gigan places 4th here but I digress.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Thirty years ago today:

Resized Image
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

Eww leave MST3000 out. Maybe I am too young for it but I do not care for it. As for the movie itself GvM is very entertaining. One of the most "Showa" feeling movies. That drop kick is epic and Godzilla's suit design with the Kermit the Frog look fits the mood well. Megalon is a nice kaiju in his own right though. Some kind of weird beetle mixed with cockroach. I like him.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

I don't care much of MST3k - I'm old enough to know about it but foreign enough to stay away from it.
Besides, I love these movies. I have fun with them but I don't laugh of them.

But to each his own, and i can understand how important / nostalgic it can be for some

:)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

G vs Megalon is fun and funny with or without the MST3K crew. It has some truly great moments.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

Lecontinentperdu wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:53 am I don't care much of MST3k - I'm old enough to know about it but foreign enough to stay away from it.
Besides, I love these movies. I have fun with them but I don't laugh of them.

But to each his own, and i can understand how important / nostalgic it can be for some

:)
I liked it when I was younger but the appeal of watching people making fun of movies kind of wore out on me over the years and the newer Netflix revival definitely felt like it was trying a little too hard with a lot of the comedy.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

It has been said wolf otsuki, who played the bearded seatopian agent, has passed away, in August 2020. Feel free to share thoughts, comments, and prayers. Cause of death is unknown.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

gfan84 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:43 pm It has been said wolf otsuki, who played the bearded seatopian agent, has passed away, in August 2020. Feel free to share thoughts, comments, and prayers. Cause of death is unknown.
Sorry to hear. RIP.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Boy, watching Megalon in it's proper aspect ratio and without the lazy dub always makes me feel like I'm watching a different movie than the one I hated as a kid. There really are some cool FX shots besides the dam sequence. For some reason I was really impressed by the mountain at the beginning when Roku-chan was driving da boat. And I'm really coming to dig the score. I can see why people like this one so much.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:10 pm As far as Media Blasters'/Tokyo Shock's DVD release of the film is concerned (and, btw, I loved that DVD when I saw it), I only wish that they had also released the film's soundtrack on CD like they said they were going to do (and like they did with their CD release of the soundtrack to Destroy All Monsters).

Anyone here know exactly why it was never released? I'd sure like to know, at least.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If nobody's answered your question...chances are nobody knows the answer!

Don't bump threads for stuff like this.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Another awesome tag team, and I prefer this to the previous film.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Toho seemed to enjoy tag team fights in the 70s, giving both good and evil kaiju partners.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Masterofsome01
Samurai

Post by Masterofsome01 »

Sadly while Jet Jaguar & Megalon are pretty great, the only time I'd ever pop this movie in for another watch is for either the dropkick scene or to make Rex Dart: Eskimo Spy! jokes