Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Re: Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

Post by AllosaurHell »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:58 pm Speaking of Mechanikong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgdV4SGkD9E
Being a Muppets fan myself, I can happily say this made my night!
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Excelsior
GPN Volunteer

Post by Excelsior »

I watched the Muppets religiously as a kid, but I must have missed that one. There was a fan working in the prop room that night!

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I wish they would release the Japanese version of this movie on bluray in the US!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

This movie is abysmal. It switches between being boring and annoying (“put me down Kong, put me down”), the characters are all cardboard except Dr. Who, but even he’s just a flat cartoon villain, and good god the Kong suit is hideous. I couldn’t stand looking at it, 62 Kong is charming despite his ugliness, this Kong looks like burning garbage.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This movie is based on a cartoon, so it wasn't going to be an art piece. Personally, I find KKE to be silly and amusing, with Mie Hama bringing some eye candy to the silliness.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Escapes has some great sequences in it. For instance, there's a quick scene at the end where Kong is running alongside the heroes in their car, the camera following them up the pier. It's a quick shot, but it looks so good.
.... of course there's also the Sea Snake :lol:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:07 am Escapes has some great sequences in it. For instance, there's a quick scene at the end where Kong is running alongside the heroes in their car, the camera following them up the pier. It's a quick shot, but it looks so good.
.... of course there's also the Sea Snake :lol:
One thing to be appreciated is the variety of sets and locales KKE has. We have Tokyo Tower and other standard locations for a monster film, but we also get a new Skull Island AND the Arctic. That's before we get into the various ships, bases and submarines in the film.

And yeah, it has some unique sequences in it. There's the titular "escape", the rather interesting take of Kong climbing Tokyo Tower to save the woman and other things, like the aforementioned boat scene.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

You know I just realized in both King Kong escapes and King Kong 1976 he fights a giant snake, was Delaurentiis inspired by King Kong escapes or just a coincidence?

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think the giant snake in Dino's film is supposed to be a reference to the Elasmosaur from the '33 film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I just realised that there's an air-land-sea triad Kong faces: on Land there's Gorosaurus in the jungle, the Sea Serpent in the ocean, and finally the helicopters.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Resized Image
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I bet the readers went ape over that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:01 pm This movie is abysmal. It switches between being boring and annoying (“put me down Kong, put me down”), the characters are all cardboard except Dr. Who, but even he’s just a flat cartoon villain, and good god the Kong suit is hideous. I couldn’t stand looking at it, 62 Kong is charming despite his ugliness, this Kong looks like burning garbage.
I heard that she actually has a very nice voice in the Japanese version.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

I was always wondering about the press picture where you could see Gorosaurus and Kong at Doctor Who´s artic base. Did they plan another battle there? Was it a later cancelled story arc? Or was it just a huge mistake to do an advertisement picture that has nothing to do with the final movie?
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The most obvious guess is that the Artic Base set made for an interesting backdrop for press photographs. That's all there was to it. Anything else is overthinking it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m not sure if it’s the stupid misleading posters, the concept of a mechanical kong, or the 1967 release date, but over time KKE has really grown on me as a very memorable, and important, memory in the kaiju/Toho/tokusatsu lineage. It’s got issues, but I really love it and have grown to have fond memories of it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Same here. It's not the best Toho offering, but it never fails to be entertaining.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

It was Eisei Amamoto´s signature role for sure and he was brilliant. I also like Rhodes Reason, Linda Miller, Akira Takarada and of course Mie Hama in thier roles. Compared to other kaiju eiga has it a very solid soundtrack even if it was not the best work of Akira Ifukube.
Gorosaurus had an impressive design and was visually the most recognizable kaiju in this movie for me.
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm wondering if Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, either movie or tv show, had any influence on this film. In KKE, we have a sub commanded by a Capt. Nelson. In the Voyage movie, we have a sub commanded by an Admiral Nelson.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

As this is perhaps the only kaiju movie where I've never seen the original Japanese version, only the U.S. edit, I wanted to ask how different it is. I know the U.S. version is 8 minutes shorter but when I looked up the differences, all I found was that a couple short scenes were added in, nothing about the 8+ minutes that were cut. Could someone who has seen both versions give me more specifics about the changes and tell me how (if at all) they impact the movie? Is this like King Kong vs. Godzilla where it's a night and day difference, or were the changes more insignificant?
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy