Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

Post by edgaguirus »

That's one of my favorite parts. When they realize they've lost control of the monsters, the always cool Controler begins losing control. He shows a mixture of panic and arrogance that culminates with his desperate solution to avoid death at human hands.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:46 am
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:13 am As cool as a version featuring all natural dialog would be as a novelty, I'd never want it to be the only version available. I dont know if I'd be able to relax with the movie if the language is constantly jumping back and forth between English and Japanese.
Plus, it doesn't accurately represent the way the movie was originally released in any market, and I doubt there was ever any intent by the filmmakers that it would be seen in a hybrid-language version. I'd be interested in watching it as a curiosity, but I certainly don't think it should be any kind of default.
From a narrative standpoint, it also wouldn't make sense for characters to be speaking to each other in two different languages. I remember Final Wars's Japanese version is like that, and it's very weird at times.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

They need to do more edits of classic Godzilla films like this.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I fell asleep twice watching this. Curse you, warm room and blankets!

It's been a while and I really wanted to be enthrawled with the human story, particularly Glenn and Miss Namikawa but I guess not. I'll try again when I'm not overly sleepy. -_-
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I watched this movie to remember Takarada-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I had a realization that Invasion of the Astro Monster occupied the same place in my mind as Star Wars (1977). Both might be some of my first memories of watching film, but I vividly remember sitting in a tiny apartment in the Bronx when I was 4, watching both films on TV with my dad.

I understand that IOTAM was probably inspired by a bunch of random SF tropes, and even Toho’s own catalogue, but it’s surprising to me how much of alien invasion film that it predates.

I think it says something that both it, and Star Wars captured my attention at a young age, despite the deep difference in visual styles and aesthetics.

IOTAM is a certified classic in the SF genre. I think I’ve come to terms that it might not be my favorite “Godzilla film”, but that it’s one of my favorite hard SF Alien invasion films. Whenever I try to rate IOTAM, I always think highly of it, but then remember the film is really really barebones in regards to Godzilla, and that other films (KKVG, Mothra vs Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante, GMK) are better representations of the genre.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But it depends on what your definition of "the genre" is. Would I show it to someone as an example of a great Godzilla or straight kaiju film? No. But as an example of a engaging Japanese space invasion film that happens to involve giant monsters it's pretty much perfect. It's everything Toho sci fi films had been building towards for a decade.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I would add that as an alien invasion/kaiju film, Toho has never topped it. Some of the later entries had more and better kaiju action, but the alien and human ends of things always fall short.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Always was conflicted in this movie. Compared to Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster the human plot is much stronger with some great performances and memorable characters. On the other hand, felt the action was a touch weaker than in GTTHM and this film began the trend of turning Ghidorah into a mind-controlled wuss that persisted for the rest of the Showa Era.

Still a classic all around.

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

I think my favorite "Alien Invader" Toho film is technically Destroy All Monsters, but the alien story there is just a device to give us Monster Mayhem, which is the true appeal of the film. The Kilaaks themselves are not that interesting, and that element of the film was retreading, but the Monster stuff is so great, I love it.

Invasion of Astro-Monster is a true blue alien invader flick and a darned good one. So much so, that even if you took Godzilla, Rodan, and King Ghidorah out of it, you'd still have a strong story with heroes, antagonists, and even a solid romance with a noble sacrifice all thrown in to make for a compelling narrative. The Monster action in the film is actually quite light until you get to the end, but everything is so engrossing that it hardly matters.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

So watching it right now....

So Glenn tells Fuji he spent the night with Namikawa in a bungalow and woke up in the middle of the night to see the Controller (who, as far as anyone knows, is not supposed to be on Earth) telling her not to worry and that preparations are being made. Then he says to Fuji, "I think we're putting too much trust in Planet X."

Wow! You don't say!!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:42 pm So watching it right now....

So Glenn tells Fuji he spent the night with Namikawa in a bungalow and woke up in the middle of the night to see the Controller (who, as far as anyone knows, is not supposed to be on Earth) telling her not to worry and that preparations are being made. Then he says to Fuji, "I think we're putting too much trust in Planet X."

Wow! You don't say!!
But she told him that he was just talking in his sleep!

I'm sure it's fine...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But you always know it's a dream when you wake up.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And dreams never come true, just like in Invaders from Mars.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Had the sudden urge to watch this for what ever reason. The bit where the inventor is talking about her brother saying "I'd really stand him on his head" and then cuts to the two of them upside down in the shuttle is just so surprisingly funny.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Shinichi's other scripts also featured amusing scenes and moments.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Yeah, Sekizawa's script very neatly takes us back and forth between disparate locations throughout the first act. But I think an unsung hero here is Ryouhei Fujii, the editor. Two more excellent transitions in the first reel: P-1 soars through the solar system, followed by almost a match cut to the starry background of the restaurant; Haruno describes her boyfriend as an inventor, followed by a cut to his home with his invention blaring. Those are Fujii's doing. They're not elaborate cuts, but they're smart and well-timed.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have a question regarding the Planet X Controller's final lines. When he says "We must escape into the future!", was it something lost in translation?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:11 pm I have a question regarding the Planet X Controller's final lines. When he says "We must escape into the future!", was it something lost in translation?
No they were setting up Final Wars.

In seriousness though that is a good question. My brother use to joke he hit the wrong button by mistake and killed everyone.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image