Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Zilla103192
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

Post by Zilla103192 »

HayesAJones wrote:
Grayshot954 wrote:... Ghidorah's three legs...
I assume you mean heads?
Ghidorah has 3 legs... all male do.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

zilla103192 wrote:
HayesAJones wrote:
Grayshot954 wrote:... Ghidorah's three legs...
I assume you mean heads?
Ghidorah has 3 legs... all male do.
I assume you mean 4 heads then. ;)

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

ZING!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I never really liked him that much, but then again the movie may have biased my opinion.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

[quote="NSZhttp://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/ana ... egalon.htm

I'm just gonna leave this here for ya. Y'know, Word of God and all that jazz.[/quote]

You can put a dress on a pig, but its still a pig! Sorry, I'm not buying it! LOL

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Tyler wrote:So Toho is wrong when it comes to one of their character's origin?
Ask yourself this. When was the article written? Who wrote it?
If it was written by any of the three writers from the film, and if it was written right around the time of the release, then I'll buy it. If not, its just fun fanboy stuff to read.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Why are you being a moron about this? The article has pictures from Japanese texts as well as information that was obviously sourced/translated from said books. Those are officially licensed books from Japan. What more do you want?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Although Toho has stated that Megalon is not a cyborg, it's obvious why someone(like me) would make that conclusion, what with the metal drills & horn.
I agree that Megalon has a lot of potential; like many showa monsters, I want to see him return.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

^ never thought of it like that. Haha that is weird.
I think megalon has a lot of firepower but lacks the brains to successfully use it. I never was a fan, im indifferent
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Megalon's pretty nifty, and his partnership with the other metal weapon hand monster is also interesting. He seems like he could be string, but he's like a big bully; he ain't got no brain behind the power.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

I always found it funny that he was paired up with another monster with weird hands. Cool, but weird. I thought he looked cool, and it didn't bother me at all that he was "anatomically incorrect" for a beetle. His appearance is on par with the rest of the weird monsters from that time period.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

King Kong
GPN Volunteer

Post by King Kong »

Megalon was always alright by me. I enjoy the design of him, and his temper tantrums were hilariously entertaining considering the idea that Seatopians worship him as a 'God' ... a God that throws a complete fit with irritated.

But yeah, Megalon is likable. Fits right in there with the 1970's gallery of Godzilla rogues.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I want to see Megalon & Gigan return side by side. They make a great monster duo.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

More like one of the Greek gods. Anyway, I agree that it's pretty funny; especially since they had to control him! :lol:

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Monster Discussion: Megalon

Post by Master-Spiff »

Personally, I like the guy; his curious and childlike personality really amused me. :P What do you guys think?
Last edited by Master-Spiff on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion: Megalon

Post by Smuggers »

BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Monster Discussion: Megalon

Post by Arbok »

Master-Spiff wrote:... his curious and childlike personality really amused me. :P What do you guys think?
I'm not a huge fan of Megalon, but I do like his childlike personality. Made him stand out a little against Godzilla's rogues, although it's a trait not many seem to remember him for.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Moonewe73
Ronin

Post by Moonewe73 »

On this Godzilla Wiki, in the section for Megalon, it said this under Trivia:

"■Megalon was originally going to be featured in Godzilla Vs. the Space Monsters: Earth Defense Command (ゴジラ対宇宙怪獣 地球防衛命令, Gojira tai Uchū Kaijū: Chikyū Bōei Meirei), one of the two screenplays that eventually became Godzilla vs. Gigan. It featured Godzilla, Anguirus and the Daimajin-like Majin Tuol fighting King Ghidorah, Gigan and Megalon (the latter two were new monsters). The three evil monsters are controlled by an alien brain called Miko. This script also had a theme park and the Godzilla Tower (which Gigan mistook for the real Godzilla in one scene). Megalon eventually appeared in his own film, Godzilla vs. Megalon.
■Megalon, in an unproduced version of Rebirth of Mothra, would be seeking revenge against humans. Being the protector of humanity, Mothra would've had to stop him.
■Megalon would also be in an unproduced first draft of Godzilla: Final Wars. The draft had Megalon in the place of Hedorah, and would ally with the aliens and end up being defeated by Godzilla."

Now, the first point has been known for a while. The third point about Megalon being in Final Wars early on didn't surprise me much. But I've never heard before about him considered for ROM. Don't know how reliable this bit is, but, in hindsight, that actually would've been more fitting than Desghidorah, IMO. Just felt like too much with him in the first one then King Ghidorah in ROM 3. Just thought this was neat as I've never read any background info on the development of the ROM trilogy. (Shame on me.) :oops:

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

How does he lift stuff if he has drills for hands? In G Destroy All Monsters Melee, Megalon can pick up monsters and buildings even though he doesn't have hands.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

gzilla46 wrote:How does he lift stuff if he has drills for hands?
Practice. Lots of practice.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.