Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

Post by Giga Kaiju »

If Megalon ever returns, and he has redesign in the same vein as Gigan did in FW then maybe it wouldn't be too bad. I mean, sure that got some flack but overall, it was fine for other people.

It may go either way, but it could be great JUST to see him back in any form possible while still having what makes him, well, Megalon.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

I think Megalon's depiction in Godzilla at World's End was spot on. If reimagining him in more serious way, this is how it can be done. A genetically engineered hybrid created as a biological weapon. That would explain his vaguely beetle-like appearance and his crazy array of abilities, while making him a serious kaiju threat. And no major design tweaks would be needed...

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Giga Kaiju wrote:If Megalon ever returns, and he has redesign in the same vein as Gigan did in FW then maybe it wouldn't be too bad. I mean, sure that got some flack but overall, it was fine for other people.

It may go either way, but it could be great JUST to see him back in any form possible while still having what makes him, well, Megalon.
I'm pretty sure it's generally accepted that the Gigan redesign was one of the best redesigns in the entire series and best parts of GFW.

Since Megalon isn't a cyborg though it would be harder to make him look cooler like they did with Gigan. They'll probably make him more insectoid though. I do have a strong feeling we'll never see a film with Megalon again. Jet Jaguar and Megalon are the creations Toho likes to hide under the rug. At least Jet jaguar got a cool role in the IDW comics. Shame Megalon hasn't gotten his time to shine yet.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Giga Kaiju wrote:If Megalon ever returns, and he has redesign in the same vein as Gigan did in FW then maybe it wouldn't be too bad. I mean, sure that got some flack but overall, it was fine for other people.

I'm pretty sure it's generally accepted that the Gigan redesign was one of the best redesigns in the entire series and best parts of GFW.

Since Megalon isn't a cyborg though it would be harder to make him look cooler like they did with Gigan. They'll probably make him more insectoid though. I do have a strong feeling we'll never see a film with Megalon again. Jet Jaguar and Megalon are the creations Toho likes to hide under the rug. At least Jet jaguar got a cool role in the IDW comics. Shame Megalon hasn't gotten his time to shine yet.
I know. It is, one of the best EASILY. But I said it because there's someone that'll say that it isn't good, and "MUH-CLASSICNESS" and stuff. :P

I wouldn't mind if Megalon looked MORE 'Bettleish' while still keeping the metalic elements like the drills in a way. It'd add to the whole, ancient civilization enginering their own guardian (or aiding
it in a way) to keep themselves safe or something to that effect.

It is sad that Jet Jaguar is the only new kaiju/mecha that got attention while Megalon is forgotten and only remembered in games and such...
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Really? "Generally accepted". Maybe by one demographic, possibly. But most people I know can't stand the redesign and prefer the original. I think saying the GFW Gigan is one of the best redesigns in the entire series is really reaching. Personally, the GFW design represents everything wrong with the entire aesthetic of that movie.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Legion1979 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Really? "Generally accepted". Maybe by one demographic, possibly. But most people I know can't stand the redesign and prefer the original. I think saying the GFW Gigan is one of the best redesigns in the entire series is really reaching. Personally, the GFW design represents everything wrong with the entire aesthetic of that movie.
Oh yeah, I have been meaning to ask what do you think of the Manda redesign?
Godzilla

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Manda was fine. The original was no masterpiece, as much as I like him. The redesign updates the look without making it unnecessarily extreme or anything like that.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Legion1979 wrote:Manda was fine. The original was no masterpiece, as much as I like him. The redesign updates the look without making it unnecessarily extreme or anything like that.
Yeah, GFW Manda was excellent updating the original design excellently one of the good redesigns in GFW.
Godzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Megalon is, unfortunately, tarnished by his only movie. Otherwise, he's a kaiju with some promise, though don't go for a more insect design. He works better humanoid.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Megalon is made better BECAUSE his movie is so batshit stupid.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

It fits his role quite nicely. In a way, I guess that's what MAKES him.

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

I love the design. Almost as weird-looking as Gigan, but not quite.
AKA Jamie.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

edgaguirus wrote:Megalon is, unfortunately, tarnished by his only movie. Otherwise, he's a kaiju with some promise, though don't go for a more insect design. He works better humanoid.

I agree. I would like to see him more beefier. Ive seen some artist conceptions of him around the net sporting 6 legs and def geared towards a more insectoid design. I dont care for it. Keep him more humanoid but beef his size up and armor. Beetles are damn near indestructible, when compared to other insects.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

If I'm not mistaken, Matt Frank's NEO design of Megalon looks somewhat alright if Megalon's design is 'pushed' towards the humanoid while still being bettle-ish looking.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2009 ... on_Neo.jpg

That looks alright.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I always liked this one. Though it does look like something out of final fantasy 7.

http://orig05.deviantart.net/ddcc/f/201 ... 4tf8r2.jpg

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Damn. That looks pretty cool actually. Something that could appear in a JRPG, alright.

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

Stevo_1985 wrote:I always liked this one. Though it does look like something out of final fantasy 7.

http://orig05.deviantart.net/ddcc/f/201 ... 4tf8r2.jpg
Whoa, that's awesome. :mrgreen:
AKA Jamie.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Those concept designs are cool, but one feature that is missing on them are those huge multifaceted eyes. One of the most memorable things about the original Megalon design.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The bulbous eyes is the only thing that's missing. If you could add those, then maybe it could be aces, definetely.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Huh, don't really have much to say about Megalon. He's got a rather creative design and is fun to use in the Pipeworks games, though.