Monster Discussion #33: Jet Jaguar

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Jet jaguar suit: Why all the hate?

Post by MDK »

Kaiser wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:^The hate for Jet Jaguar is pretty much just an extension for the dislike of the 70's films. Godzilla vs. Megalon is the epitome of the problems the 70's films had.
If anything, people seem to go a bit too easy on the 70s films these days. The 90s films are the new "dark age" from what I can gather.
This. It's pretty ironic that there's so much Heisei bashing yet the same people can enjoythe 70's films. :lol: :roll:
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gawdziller wrote:I think a lot of what you're talking about is "context of era" and not "context of production," of which is a point in which I agree. However the quality of the 70s films vs. the 90s films is subjective, so I believe we must agree to disagree on that. I see both virtues and faults in both eras. What I am objecting to is the use of the term "excuse" to indicate a forgiving of poor quality. I'm sorry but a lacking production doesn't forgive an inferior product. Manos doesn't improve in quality just because you know it was made on a dare by a fertilizer salesman, and neither does Transformers improve because "it's a Michael Bay movie, what'd you expect?"

That's just the issue I had with the arguement as presented.
Absolutely. There's a huge difference between recognizing quality work that overcomes technical limitations, and allowing technical limitations to justify sloppy work given what tools are available.

The same money that made Manos, in better hands, could have made something much better had it simply been in the hands of more talented filmmakers.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Jet Jaguar in my opinion could be the easiest Monster to be portrayed in a suit, you could lower the weight a bit and there, perfect. Also, his design can be updated to a more badass aproach.

Yooo 8-)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Wow, that's cheesy!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

JGAR4Entertainment wrote:Jet Jaguar in my opinion could be the easiest Monster to be portrayed in a suit, you could lower the weight a bit and there, perfect. Also, his design can be updated to a more badass aproach.

Better than the real deal honestly.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Of course it's easy to do as a suit. It's a human form, and no tail to operate by wire. As for redesign, it needs to stay colorful. The range of color and pattern on JJ is part of what makes him memorable.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

edgaguirus wrote:Of course it's easy to do as a suit. It's a human form, and no tail to operate by wire. As for redesign, it needs to stay colorful. The range of color and pattern on JJ is part of what makes him memorable.
AND that epic grin. :huge:
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

why is there no JJ face for the comments.......... :cry:
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I heard Legion took one look at that grin, and she went weak in all her knees.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Just what Gamera needs: one of his co-stars falling for a rival company's actor.
....And Toho's probably gonna have a FIT when they find out. ;-)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:Now if you replaced the Super X with Jet Jaguar in Godzilla '84, then his inherent corniness would not get a pass from me. It's all about context. :lol:
I suddenly totally want to see that. Done with a sufficient sense of self-referential humor (but not too much, basically played straight but with ironic intent), it could be part of a much smarter take on something along the lines of GFW.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

^Woo-hoo! If you'll pay a few million dollars for that ticket, in advance, I'll see what I can do to make it happen for ya. ;)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

We can't put Godzilla and Jet Jaguar into Caligula? Well, I guess Caligula would have had JJ's face re-modeled to look like his own, and that might take some of the fun out of -

No, no, sorry, that jsut makes it better. Godzilla vs. Jet Gaius. Poor old uncle Clau-Clau-Claudius laying low while members of the Roman Senate summon the King of the Monsters to wipe out the Julio-Claudian line.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

JJ should've been in Final Wars, it could've been perfect for him, and get a badass redesign like Gigan.
Yooo 8-)

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
JGAR4Entertainment wrote:JJ should've been in Final Wars, it could've been perfect for him, and get a badass redesign like Gigan.
...I'm trying to imagine how spikey he'd be.
He said Final Wars. That means you have to imagine what the monster would look like in a black leather jacket and sunglasses. 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JJ already looks like he's wearing sunglasses.

kiryu42red
Interpol Agent

Post by kiryu42red »

He said Final Wars. That means you have to imagine what the monster would look like in a black leather jacket and sunglasses. 8-)[/quote]

if he was in final wars, wearing a black leather jacket, he should have replaced rodan in the new york pimp scene

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I don't like Jet Jaguar very much. I don't hate him, but he's one of my least favorites. I don't know what it is about him that feels "meh" to me. Maybe it's the fact that I prefer it when a mech looks like a monster or an animal.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

I like jet jaguar and his gimmick. I lick the head, but the body is just too damn colorful!
I think the colorfulness fits the tone of the film.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

gojira96 wrote:
I like jet jaguar and his gimmick. I lick the head, but the body is just too damn colorful!
I think the colorfulness fits the tone of the film.
I dig the colorfulness. Most of the kaiju are one or two muted tones, so it's interesting to have something that's brightly-colored for once :P