G.I. Samurai/Time Slip (1979)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

G.I. Samurai/Time Slip (1979)

Post by MaxRebo320 »

In honor of Chiba-san's passing, I thought it'd be fitting to make a thread for this Kadokawa-produced, Toho-distributed action epic from 1979. The film concerns a platoon of present-day JSDF soldiers caught up in a "Time Slip", taking them back to Sengoku-era Japan where they befriend real-life warlord Uesugi Kenshin. Chiba's character comes up with the convoluted notion that altering history will basically force God to send them back to their time, though it winds up just being an excuse for him to indulge in some carnage his bloodthirsty mind desired. I've seen the film compared to The Final Countdown from the following year (A film I rather enjoy despite its flaws), but whereas that film only teases the concept of a modern navy taking on the Japanese airfleet, this film goes all out in depicting Sengoku-era warriors combatting a modern Japanese military, and goddamn is it awesome. The film is hardly perfect - there are scenes that drag on, there are way too many characters we're expected to care about despite them getting barely any development and the soundtrack sure isn't for everyone. But I can't help but kind of love the movie.

Since Arrow are starting to release Kadokawa's offerings, hopefully this one will be in the forseeable future, though you can find the OOP DVD releases from BCI dirt-cheap.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: G.I. Samurai/Time Slip (1979)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

As always, thanks for the attention to another obscure/not well known movie. I'll look into it and try to watch it soon!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

This seems interesting. I’d love to see it.
For Emperor and Empire!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

The concept is intriguing enough it did wind up getting remade, in some form or another, twice.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Didn't Masaaki Tezuka work on this? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Added in 1 minute 56 seconds:
Never mind he directed the remake.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

One thing it and the remake did pretty well was acknowledge how supplies and equipment would run out pretty fast with no way to get more or replenish what has been spent. I will say I find the remake hit or miss as to if it's better. The ending of the family finding aged dogtags at a temple was very poignant, but it also edges a bit into the exaggerations of how tactical and skilled samurai and ninja were, constantly outflanking the JSDF.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

Been meaning to revisit this one for a minute or two now. A real fun concept and one of the more interesting entires in Chiba's filmography.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I recently reviewed this for my website.
Last edited by H-Man on Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Sinister Cinema has this film in their catalog (see "Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema" pg. 1 on Monster Manor pg. 4).

And before anyone asks, yes, I know it's gray-market, but it's better than nothing...at least for now.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:17 pm Sinister Cinema has this film in their catalog (see "Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema" pg. 1 on Monster Manor pg. 4).

And before anyone asks, yes, I know it's gray-market, but it's better than nothing...at least for now.
Is this version legit?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

H-Man wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:28 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:17 pm Sinister Cinema has this film in their catalog (see "Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema" pg. 1 on Monster Manor pg. 4).

Is this version legit?
Yes.

Also, Kadokawa will be releasing this film on UHD and Blu-ray in Japan on October 28. It doesn't look like there will be English subtitles, but at least the Blu-ray will have the English-dubbed audio. Japanese source.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.