Showa Godzilla Gamera trade in

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Showa Godzilla Gamera trade in

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:42 pm
Voyager wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:07 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Like Godzilla was able to do ANYTHING to Rodan...?
Fair, but Gamera can’t do jack to Ghidorah, unlike Godzilla.
What exactly did Godzilla even do to Ghidorah in their first film together? At least Gamera can fly.

And Voyager...Godzilla was getting his butt kicked all over the place and could barely do ANYTHING until Rodan and Mothra teamed up.
Did you even read my previous post?
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Voyager wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:54 pm

What exactly did Godzilla even do to Ghidorah in their first film together? At least Gamera can fly.

And Voyager...Godzilla was getting his butt kicked all over the place and could barely do ANYTHING until Rodan and Mothra teamed up.
Yes. It doesn't change anything about what I said. Anything Godzilla did to help in that battle he was only able to do thanks to Rodan and Mothra. Ghidorah was making a fool of him throughout that fight.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:17 pm

Yes. It doesn't change anything about what I said. Anything Godzilla did to help in that battle he was only able to do thanks to Rodan and Mothra. Ghidorah was making a fool of him throughout that fight.
Ok then, do you think the other two could have beaten him without Godzilla, if you so think Godzilla was useless to the effort?
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Voyager wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:24 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:14 pm

Godzilla didn't do much to Ghidorah in their first fight without Rodan and Mothra.
That’s just blatant ignorance.

He was the strong man who grappled with Ghidorah and kept him in place for the webbing, and he was definitely who tussled with Ghidorah the most.
Yes he kept him in place with Rodan and Mothra taking attention away from Ghidorah which Gamera should also be able to do. Ghidorah owned Godzilla in their first encounter one on one.

Added in 2 minutes :
Voyager wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:20 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:17 pm

Ok then, do you think the other two could have beaten him without Godzilla, if you so think Godzilla was useless to the effort?
No they couldn't have, the entire point of the film was Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra all had to fight together or Ghidorah wins. He arguably won in the next film when Mothra was gone. All three monsters played a part in beating Ghidorah.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Gamera might be a better at the tank/distraction role than Godzilla against Ghidorah, but he's going to also be bleeding a lot more by the end unless he can absorb Ghidorah's beams.
Course there is a possibility that Ghidorah's beams may energize him while still damaging him, so Ghidorah will be fighting a giant scary bleeding turtle on stimulants. [ I've been translating Japanese stuff and the wording for Ghidorah's beams is the word for "attractive force" which can apply to either gravity or magnetism, and while by Heisei they decided on gravity beams, for Showa era I'm a bit unsure of creator intentions.]

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

....what exactly would Ghidorah do to Gamera to make him bleed?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Ghidorah's beams weren't drawing blood when they hit Godzilla, so I doubt they're going to make Gamera bleed. But I could see them knocking Gamera onto his back.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:44 pm Ghidorah's beams weren't drawing blood when they hit Godzilla, so I doubt they're going to make Gamera bleed. But I could see them knocking Gamera onto his back.
Godzilla was knocked on his back and couldn't get up at times againts Ghidorah.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:44 pm Ghidorah's beams weren't drawing blood when they hit Godzilla, so I doubt they're going to make Gamera bleed. But I could see them knocking Gamera onto his back.
Well, I mean Godzilla is almost certainly more durable than Gamera, but even then, the beams wouldn’t draw blood, it’s not what they do.
For Emperor and Empire!

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Another question: how well would Gamera do as an adoptive father to Minya?
...also I'm pretty sure those kids in Gamera vs Guiron die and Godzilla kills the alien ladies once they reach Earth if they are dumb enough to cause trouble.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Dinoskell wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:23 pm Another question: how well would Gamera do as an adoptive father to Minya?
...also I'm pretty sure those kids in Gamera vs Guiron die and Godzilla kills the alien ladies once they reach Earth if they are dumb enough to cause trouble.
Considering how wacky 70's Godzilla got and how wacky Gamera is, Godzilla might just fly after the kids.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Could Godzilla even defeat Zanon?
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TyrantGojira wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:13 pm Could Godzilla even defeat Zanon?
He'd probably blast Zanon when he arrived on the planet.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Or have Godzilla blow up the ship the same way he did Gorath in GFW.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Zanon was the evil alien from Super Monster?

I hope Godzilla blasts them in one shot.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In Brandon's cult movie reviews he's always bringing up that people forget about Gamera's rampage in his initial film. That wouldn't be the case if Godzilla were substituted. Rather than cheer on Gamera or insist he's a friend, those kids and adults would be running for the hills when Godzilla showed up, even if it's to kill an attacking kaiju.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:38 pm In Brandon's cult movie reviews he's always bringing up that people forget about Gamera's rampage in his initial film. That wouldn't be the case if Godzilla were substituted. Rather than cheer on Gamera or insist he's a friend, those kids and adults would be running for the hills when Godzilla showed up, even if it's to kill an attacking kaiju.
People were afraid of Godzilla up till 73 anyway. In Gigan they knew he and Angurius were the best chance of winning but the military was still worried about them.

The main cast only cheered because they had been directly fighting the alien threat.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image