Talkback: Frankenstein vs. Baragon (1965)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Re: Frankenstein vs. Baragon (1965)

Post by Godsteigman »

I love this film. I wish they kept the Octopus ending connecting it better to War of the Gargantuas. :)

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Talkback Thread: Frankenstein Conquers the World

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

First off, if there is already one of these, feel free to merge, as I couldn't find it. Either way, here is where you just come t on Frankenstein Conquers the World from 1965! Chat away!
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread: Frankenstein Conquers the World

Post by edgaguirus »

It is a good one. I find Frank to be an interesting kaiju, and it has a cast that is well acted.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The wild boar is the hypest kaiju. He's more powerful than the giant condor.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

He should have his own Toho Kingdom monster bio if he doesn't already :P
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

If there's Turkish rip-offs, then wouldn't this movie be a Japanese rip-off?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Young Guy wrote:If there's Turkish rip-offs, then wouldn't this movie be a Japanese rip-off?
Not really, considering it was a Japanese/American co-production.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

India, Bangladesh, and other countries have produced several movie rip offs. FCtW is a Japanese/American original.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Young Guy wrote:Turkish
The Frankenstein who Conquers the World (1982)

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Young Guy wrote:Turkish
The Frankenstein who Conquers the World (1982)
The Three Frankensten Men

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't think something counts as a ripoff if you own the rights to it, or is Frankenstein public domain? Pretty sure it is now but maybe not in the 1960s.
Going back to the actual movie I think the scene where Baragon destroys this random club where a bunch of teens are dancing is really effective. Like they don't hear him coming towards the cabin because of the music. It's pretty creepy. Baragon is really cool in this film, just wish he retained his fire breathe even if it's a weaker version of Godzilla's thermonuclear ray.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Honestly, never been too big a fan of this one. Baragon feels like a random addition to the plot, some of the Frankenstein effects are pretty bad looking and the plot is pretty meandering at times. I'd recommend watching it only so the much superior War of the Gargantuas makes sense and even then lots of people seem to enjoy the later without ever seeing Frankenstein vs. Baragon.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiser wrote:Honestly, never been too big a fan of this one. Baragon feels like a random addition to the plot, some of the Frankenstein effects are pretty bad looking and the plot is pretty meandering at times. I'd recommend watching it only so the much superior War of the Gargantuas makes sense and even then lots of people seem to enjoy the later without ever seeing Frankenstein vs. Baragon.
That's true, the sequel is better. There's still reasons to like this film though.
However I like the randomness of Baragon. His design is cool and he was actively eating people. In a sense he felt more like an actual dinosaur than Godzilla or Anguirus. The final fight was good too with Baragon jumping all over the place. I thought the fusion of Frankenstien and the atomic bomb was a pretty unique idea as well.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This depiction of Frankenstein was one thing I liked about this movie. Frank is not the lumbering beast in previous Universal films, but a more human creature that seems quicker and more intelligent.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

I like this movie a lot for its general horror vibe, score, and because it's one of the very few times we see a human transform into a kaiju (which makes for some cool miniature effects).

Interestingly enough, I was looking through Lost Projects, and Shusuke Kaneko's treatment for "Godzilla vs. M" (his first pitch to Toho before GMK) is very similar to the plot of Frankenstein Conquers the World.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

Not a fan of this movie. Liked the sequel though. And I thought they could have done quite a bit with the Frankenstein character itself.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

This is one of my favorite Toho movies. I like how it's driven by the characters more than the monsters. It's interesting how the sequel completely reversed this philosophy.

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

Kaiser wrote:Honestly, never been too big a fan of this one. Baragon feels like a random addition to the plot, some of the Frankenstein effects are pretty bad looking and the plot is pretty meandering at times. I'd recommend watching it only so the much superior War of the Gargantuas makes sense and even then lots of people seem to enjoy the later without ever seeing Frankenstein vs. Baragon.
I'm with you on enjoying War of the Gargantuas even more than FCTW, but I think the earlier film has a lot going for it, too. The premise is ambitious (can't think of too many other live action feature films (outside of WotG) combining horror elements with giant monsters: much less pulling it off this well), and—with strong support from composer Ifukube—FCTW features are several scenes that are very atmospheric and memorable, including Mizuno's farewell to the "boy" (now 20 feet tall) at the dark apartment complex, and the search for it in the fog-choked forest. Baragon's emergence from the gas-cloud created by the bomb is another standout.

Earlier on, Toho had developed a story treatment for Frankenstein vs. Godzilla (you can read about it on Wikipedia), and I'm kind of glad they decided to take this in a different direction. Baragon, at 60 feet tall and with limited energy powers, seems a more fitting opponent for a Frankenstein giant than Godzilla.

Besides, if you thought Baragon came out of nowhere, you should watch the discarded ending with the giant octopus... ;)
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I really enjoy Frankenstein Conquers the World, it's one of my favorite non-Godzilla Toho films. Well written, well acted, great cinematography and effects! I like it much more than WotG, which while pretty has a pretty bland and uninteresting story IMO.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The octopus is random, but it does create a link to WoTG.