How powerful is Showa Godzilla?

Discuss and analyze various feats!
Voyager
Keizer

How powerful is Showa Godzilla?

Post by Voyager »

Seeing as though there is an MV thread, I’d like to make one on my favourite incarnation, especially as there are very differing perspectives on his power. I think he outclasses most Godzillas in strength, speed, and all in intelligence. His beam can be underwhelming at times, but some times it possesses kaiju-exploding power. He’s the most skilled H2H fighter, but he is eclipsed in raw strength by MV now and Heisei. He can lift Kaiju much heavier than him, like Ghidorah, MG, Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and the can o’ worms that are the ZF Kaiju. He’s also easily the smartest, being able to strategise with other kaiju and once he learns something, he exploits it. He’s pretty fast and his combat reaction speed is very good as he’s able to dodge beams at point blank with ease.

Overall, I say he’s only beaten in films by Earth, Heisei, MV (barely), and FW (only when Keizer).
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Re: How powerful is Showa Godzilla?

Post by Spuro »

A very unpopular opinion in the FMs, but, aside from Godzilla Earth and the two Burning Godzillas, I tend to consider Showa the most powerful film incarnation of Godzilla.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Personally, I think the only incarnations of Godzilla that outmatch Showa G are:

Shin Godzilla
Godzilla Earth (maybe)
Godzilla (Heisei)
Godzilla (Final Wars)
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

KK42 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:01 am A very unpopular opinion in the FMs, but, aside from Godzilla Earth and the two Burning Godzillas, I tend to consider Showa the most powerful film incarnation of Godzilla.

How is that an unpopular opinion? Even if we ignore the Zone Fighter feats, Showa Godzilla is still one of the best fighters and one of thr physically stro gest Godzillas around, throwing the twice as heavy Mechagodzilla with ease and flinging Ghidorah's 30,000 ton ass like a rag doll. He has always been a top tier live action Godzilla, even if LPG gives him a run for his money, if not rivals him outright.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I do think the Zone Fighter “hurling around kaiju over four times his weight” should be ignored, because it contradicts the movies and because the show already just has absolutely no internal logic.

But Showa’s definitely still a beast, yeah even scaled up he’s gonna be rather light compared to other Godzillas, but that helps him because of how dang fast he is. Even if he ain’t the strongest, no other Godzilla can pull off those rapid fire punches and Kangaroo Kicks.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Showa Godzilla isn't the most physically powerful, but he's fast, strong, smart, and has great combat skills.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'd need to run the numbers to be sure, but I think there's enough on-screen evidence to suggest that he's capable of lifting a man. If true, that would put him all the way up in Gezora Tier, which is frankly insane.

And more seriously, don't forget to take his whacky superpowers into account. Flight and magnetism legitimately do put him in a class of his own among Godzillas.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Just looked into Showa Goji with his feats and...

Yeah. Definitely would beat MV Goji :lol:

1973GXMSITB
Ronin

Post by 1973GXMSITB »

Not very.

He got beat by two baby caterpillars, Yo! LOLZ.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

1973GXMSITB wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:47 am Not very.

Early Showa Goji isn’t even miles near 70’s Showa Goji lol
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Said caterpillars were the children of a Goddess.

Makes sense to me.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:32 am Just looked into Showa Goji with his feats and...

Nah man, no way you just admitted that. If you’re for real, you became my best friend.

This is the most ignorant thing I’ve ever heard.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon May 17, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:09 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:32 am Just looked into Showa Goji with his feats and...

Nah man, no way you just admitted that. If you’re for real, you became my best friend.
Hey, even i can admit when MV Goji is outmatched. Showa knows boxing and judo, can fly with his atomic breath alone, easily throws around kaiju at heisei weight, and has his own damn bat cave with self opening doors
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

This is a tough topic to tackle because Godzilla has drastically evolved over the series just like the Monsterverse Godzilla has. Like the Monsterverse Godzilla I would say he started out fairly weak but as we get further and further in the series is able to hold his own against your average Godzilla easily and maybe even come out on top. While I do not think Showa Godzilla is on the top of the Godzilla food chain he is still a worthy Godzilla. What makes him deadly in particular is he seems to just generate abilities bases on the fight. Monster only vulnerable to electricity? No problem just change my beam so it turns on electrodes instead of destroying them. If he flees use your beam to fly. Getting crushed by a space robot? Easy just get magnetic powers. No other Godzilla in film really does that. Making abilities specifically to your enemy. Maybe Shin but we didn't really get as clear of a showing of that. Showa's beam isn't the strongest but his speed and kung fu more than make up for it.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

He is inconsistent it what he is. Some films his atomic breath can cause Kaiju to be set ablaze, others it does absolutely nothing but annoy. He is invulnerable to electricity, then suddenly weak to it and then suddenly gains powers from it. He pulls one off powers out of his ass that don't get used again after they are introduced.

I think more than any other Godzilla he is hard to evaluate in a power scale/battle board sense.
Last edited by godjacob on Tue May 18, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

He scales from Showa Mechagodzilla and Showa Mechagodzilla's weapons yields are absolutely bonkers.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If we eliminate the out of nowhere powers and inconsistent elements from the judging, we still have a tough Godzilla. Godzilla can fight hand to hand effectively, has a beam for distance, is fast, and can survive a lot of punishment from enemies.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Revived because I remembered something crucial. When we think of regen, we never think of Showa Godzilla, right? I think he should be at the discussion table though, because of a showing in Godzilla vs Hedorah. We all know how Godzilla’s hand was melted to the bone, right? We never talk about how his hand had regenerated within a span of 15-20 minutes.

From the bone. That’s pretty crazy.
For Emperor and Empire!

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

A respect thread had been made for Showa Goji.

Basically, dude's got some impressive feats under his belt.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:24 am A respect thread had been made for Showa Goji.

Basically, dude's got some impressive feats under his belt.
Yeah, I’ve read it. Pretty insane, huh?
For Emperor and Empire!