Submarine I-57 Will Not Surrender (1959)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Submarine I-57 Will Not Surrender (1959)

Post by MaxRebo320 »

World War II movie directed by Shue Matsubayashi (Storm Over the Pacific, The Last War) starring Ryo Ikebe as a submarine captain tasked by a small rogue group of officials with transporting a French diplomat (Andrew Hughes) to partake in peace talks during the last weeks of the war. A pretty solid thriller with effects by Tsuburaya and a good cast of regulars including Tatsuya Mihahashi, Akihiko Hirata, Akira Kubo, Yoshio Tsuchiya and Susumu Fujita. Being penned by Takeshi Kimura, it ends on a pretty pessimistic note that comes out of the blue. Might make for a fun double feature with Robert Wise's Run Silent Deep (1958). Subs have recently emerged for the movie, which appear to be translated through Japanese captions.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Purzel2205
Samurai

Re: Submarine I-57 Will Not Surrender (1959)

Post by Purzel2205 »

I'm interested in Toho's war movies but I haven't been able to find this one with subs yet. Are the subs you found any good? If so could you maybe point me in the right direction?
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

My main man Andrew Hughes!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Purzel2205 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:27 am I'm interested in Toho's war movies but I haven't been able to find this one with subs yet. Are the subs you found any good? If so could you maybe point me in the right direction?
Sorry for the late response. Like I said, I suspect the subs are translated from Japanese closed captions since those are also present in the torrent I found. They're pretty good, though the scenes with Japanese subtitles (Where characters speak English) are untranslated. I wouldn't mind, though the thick accents of the daughter and some of the Japanese crewmen can be a little hard to understand at times.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....