Samurai Pirate / The Lost World of Sinbad

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Samurai Pirate / The Lost World of Sinbad

Post by Terasawa »

Resized Image

This is not the easiest movie to see these days, so I'm not surprised there's been zero discussion of this movie here. Your best bet to see it is to find someone that's willing to share a fansubbed version. (It's out there.) I'm aware of only two official options:
  • Buy the Toho DVD (CDJapan). As usual, no subtitles or English audio. (But as noted, there is a subtitle track available for the film.)
  • Track down the Australian Madman/Eastern Eye release from the mid '00s. It's unavailable on Amazon and the picture is a set of headphones.
There's also a version on one of the usual streaming video sites, but it's vertically compressed to the point that the movie's unwatchable.

AIP released it as "The Lost World of Sinbad" in 1965, with Mifune's character dubbed as "Sinbad". That version is out there via ancient bootlegs that look like shit. Even more obscure is the international version ("Samurai Pirate"), which was available on VHS 35 years ago in some of the Nordic countries.

OK, enough about all that. Toshiro Mifune plays Luzon Sukezaemon, a merchant who is falsely accused and convicted of piracy in 16th century Japan. He escapes and decides to turn to piracy for real, but his ship is wrecked in a storm and his crew picked off by the Black Pirate (Makoto Sato). Luzon winds up in a strange island kingdom... this is where the film takes off and is hard to succinctly summarize. A typical adventure plot is supplemented by some fantasy elements, including a wizard (Ichiro Arishima) and a witch (Hideyo Amamoto, playing an old hag), who both shapeshift into various persons and animals. Tsuburaya's special effects are limited by the script and maybe because it was one of at least five FX movies he did that year.

Most of the same cast and crew did a very similar movie three years later called The Adventures of Takla Makan, which was discussed here.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Re: Samurai Pirate / The Lost World of Sinbad

Post by Tamura »

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

A very fun film, even if I have to say I prefer Kigan Castle by a margin. Mifune's kind of phoning it in and it is loaded with characters and turns that can get a little excessive (Likewise the latter film), but its never confusing. I wish there were even more movies with Arashima and Amamoto's dueling wizards. Not a fan of the scene where they throw a knife into a live chicken though...
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

It was also released on DVD in the mid-2000's, in a Toshiro Mifune DVD boxset from France. It came with French subtitles, which the currently-available English translation is based on.

The Japanese DVD has really poor picture quality, as it's not remastered at all and looks like a Laserdisc. For a 2015 release, this is a total scam and a middle finger to the audience. Don't buy it!

On Amazon Prime Japan, a beautiful HD copy is available to view. It recently surfaced in "private circles". It's the best presentation of the film to date.
Last edited by KaijusHunter on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

KaijusHunter wrote:The Japanese DVD has really poor picture quality, as it's not remastered at all and looks like a Laserdisc. For a 2015 release, this is a total scam and a middle finger to the audience. Don't buy it!
Oh, yuck. I thought it would have been the same transfer as used on the French release (which I forgot about in my initial post). Thanks for the warning.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

Even the theatrical trailer from the DVD looks better than the actual movie.
Last edited by KaijusHunter on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I wonder when the international dub was last heard in a majority English-speaking country, if ever.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tamura wrote:I wonder when the international dub was last heard in a majority English-speaking country, if ever.
Well it's been heard now. :P
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.