Blue Christmas (1978)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Blue Christmas (1978)

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I finally watched Blue Christmas last night. It's possible this is my new favorite film. I could hardly sleep last night for thinking about it. The cinematography, performances, music... not to mention the story. The way the film begins, makes you kinda fall in love with it's world, only to tear it all down by the end...
Also, I love how Hideyo Amamoto is still playing a spooky old man :lol:
Anyways, this film is amazing, despite being very much rooted in issues of the 70s, it's timeless. You can draw parallels to AIDS, the Red Scare, Nazis, Watergate, post-9/11, etc.
The only bad thing I can say about it is that occasionally there's some oddities as a result of the editing, little audio hiccups and such. That's ok though, because I'll take it. The editing and resulting energetic pacing makes the movie!
Fuck me, I'm probably gonna have to watch this again today. Thanks to the user who hooked me up!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ I think you'd probably also dig The Man Who Stole the Sun:

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

The Man Who Stole the Sun is phenomenal. The Region 2 DVD actually has (good) English subtitles.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I checked out the synopsis, very interesting. I had no idea Paul Schrader had a brother who wrote japanese films! Not to mention those car stunts are amazing. Is this something one could suss out on Internet Archive?(hypothetically)
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Hypothetically, an English-subbed version could very well be Archived on the Internet.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Saw this movie a while back, and considering a rewatch on DKUTV but boy...

I know this topic is OLD, but its also Christmas and the eponymous Blue Christmas is not just a title, it's the climax of the movie.

This movie is quite a ride. It's a 70s political thriller with a bunch of sci-fi inserted skillfully, and every aspect of it chills me to the core. Viewing it through the eyes of an anarchist now, its even more terrifying to me. So many questions left unaswered, ultimately though it didn't mean anything in the end. So many people died that Christmas. I will say the movie could use a bit of an edit, but its one of my favorite 70s Toho films. I wonder if it ever got dubbed.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.