The Killing Bottle (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Tamura
EDF Instructor

The Killing Bottle (1967)

Post by Tamura »

I've submitted this film to a translator and should have a subtitled version available to subscribers of my Patreon in a week or two. I watched it unsubtitled a few days ago to get dialog timecode ranges in order to establish the subtitle rate and it looks like a total trip.

https://www.patreon.com/cultjapansubtitlefund
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

m0nster01
Samurai

Re: The Killing Bottle (1967)

Post by m0nster01 »

Sweet!

Ever since I first about this, I have been eager to see it!

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

The last two International Secret Police movies, including this one, are the most entertaining, in my opinion. The Killing Bottle is just so charming and innocent, with cool and outlandish characters.

How Toho never released this series on physical disc is beyond me.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I think Killing Bottle is as surreal and hilarious as either of the Ironfinger movies. Same energy and everything.
Last edited by Tamura on Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

The movie is now available with English subtitles !

Please spread the info. If more people donate, all International Secret Police movies could get subbed.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Thanks to our efforts, the whole Toho Nick Adams trilogy can be viewed in English friendly form.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's too bad no one here seems to give a damn about this. :roll:

I haven't had the opportunity to view it with subtitles (yet) but this movie is a lot of fun, roughly comparable to Fukuda's Ironfinger movies. Adams brings that same frantic energy from Monster Zero, but I think it feels even more at home here. The real surprise for me was Kumi Mizuno's comic performance, which you never saw in her kaiju roles.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Anybody who loves seeing the humans in the older entries will have a blast viewing this. I promise.
Last edited by Tamura on Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:It's too bad no one here seems to give a damn about this. :roll:

I haven't had the opportunity to view it with subtitles (yet) but this movie is a lot of fun, roughly comparable to Fukuda's Ironfinger movies. Adams brings that same frantic energy from Monster Zero, but I think it feels even more at home here. The real surprise for me was Kumi Mizuno's comic performance, which you never saw in her kaiju roles.
After my next paycheck (a few days) I'm going to sign up to Tamuras patreon and donate some funds, so I'll definitely watch it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Not that I disagree, but in fairness, this thread still has a few replies. When I bumped the thread for Terror in the Streets announcing I've funded subs for it, not a single person replied.

Anyways, very fun flick with fun performances all around. Mizuno's character supposedly being an everywoman who gets tangled up in the adventures of two secret agents gave me a real Man from U.N.C.L.E. vibe. And Shaun of the Dead totally stole the record-throwing scene. Not sure if I quite understood why Makoto Sato's character had to be a wartime buddy of Nick Adams', therefore making their meeting a bit coincidence, but I guess it was to give the movie a bit of an emotional edge. Still, him being an ex-agent might have been better. Annu Mari has never been hotter.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Not that I disagree, but in fairness, this thread still has a few replies. When I bumped the thread for Terror in the Streets announcing I've funded subs for it, not a single person replied.
I wasn’t aware of that myself. Definitely interested though!
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terasawa wrote:I wasn’t aware of that myself. Definitely interested though!
I've sent you a PM. For anyone else reading this, don't hesitate to ask me!

Also, awesome signature photo. The Bullet Train freaking rocks.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Well, for a lot of us, the fact that a subtitle file is available still doesn't actually constitute a way to watch the movie with subtitles.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

You get more than a subtitle file when you become a subtitle funder ;)

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:
Well, for a lot of us, the fact that a subtitle file is available still doesn't actually constitute a way to watch the movie with subtitles.
Sure, but anyone that *is* interested could use this thread to ask where or how they could see the movie, no?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

A HD copy of the movie is included along with the subtitles file. Same goes for The Blue Pearl and The Skin of the South.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijusHunter wrote:A HD copy of the movie is included along with the subtitles file. Same goes for The Blue Pearl and The Skin of the South.
Which is still only of value to people tech savvy enough to be able to combine the two.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's actually very easy. As long as the subtitle and movie files have the same name despite file type (e.g., killingbottle.ssa & killingbottle.mkv, respectively), you can play the movie in VLC Media Player (freeware) and the subtitles will automatically load. You may have to toggle them on but it's just as easy to do that as it is on a DVD Player. Even if the files don't have the same name, you can start the movie in VLC and load the subtitles under the subtitle tab.

You can use the latter approach to watch the movie subtitled with MPC Media Player (also freeware).

If the file type is mkv and you absolutely want the video and subtitle files joined into one file there's even freeware that does that, although it's perhaps a skosh too technical to get into here. But suffice it to say, there are options and people here who are willing to help. It's not like anyone wants these movies to remain unseen.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

And this concludes my performance as "befuddled housewife in an infomercial."

I'm sorry, no; no autographs tonight.

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

For people unable to join video and subtitle together, it's always possible to offer both in the same file.
Everybody would be happy !